D2H Supports NTSC TVs?

Zero7 said:
I have been using D2h with NTSC HD TVs. Samsung LN46 A550 and Westinghouse TV. You need to set the HDMI output to 60Hz and that is the only thing required. I can confirm this 200% :)

Hi,

I have a 40 inch LED Westinghouse TV which am planning to take it to India. So, as per your blog above, will it work in India? Please let me know.

Yes, it works with NTSC TV. One thing to note is now customs charges 35% on TVs and that may make the deal to bringing the TV not that lucrative. New 2222 box needs separate firmware, which they provide. Old 2011 model works out of the box.

Moreover, the Westinghouse TV I got here is working now, but a layer on LCD screen started peeling off and some liquid is coming out. Hence color is totally out of order and viewing angle is reduced to about 20%. Not discouraging you to bring the TV here, just my 2 cents.

Zero7 said:
Yes, it works with NTSC TV. One thing to note is now customs charges 35% on TVs and that may make the deal to bringing the TV not that lucrative.

@off topic: For gulf countries if you are leaving the country forever completing your job........you can bring your lcd or led tv used in that country to your home in India....Please note it should be used...not in brand new condition....at least package opened and slightly used...........no customs duty.....

Is LCD screen peeling due to NTSC signal or its due to any physical damage?

NinadG said:

Are you kidding???

Else I will say it's a hardware complaint reported in some batches of tvs....as one said here....also happened on a reputed brand's tvs.......it's not the protective layer found in some tvs during shipment and manufacturing

NinadG said:

Oh, no. It is not due to signal. It is due to quality of the product, I say. Westinghouse is a low end brand in the US. It started deteriorating from past 1 year, The TV is >7 years old now. There was no physical damage during shipping.

Jerome.J said:
@off topic: For gulf countries if you are leaving the country forever completing your job........you can bring your lcd or led tv used in that country to your home in India....Please note it should be used...not in brand new condition....at least package opened and slightly used...........no customs duty.....

That is not just for Gulf country. If you have been out of India for more than 2 years and you are moving back to India for good, you can avail this benefit. Still, custom officers leach you :( . R2i forum has lot of info regarding the procedures.

Zero7 said:
Oh, no. It is not due to signal. It is due to quality of the product, I say. Westinghouse is a low end brand in the US. It started deteriorating from past 1 year, The TV is >7 years old now. There was no physical damage during shipping.

Thanks Zero7 for all the details. I had a big doubt whether WestingHouse TV works or not and you have cleared my doubts wrt this TV. So, to conclude, all we need is the D2H connection(anything in particular??) for the TV with HDMI output to make it work? No need of any PAL to NTSC converter?? Also, how about the voltage variation between US and India? Any converters needed there? BTW, wrt 35% import tax, is it on the actual cost of the TV in US or in India? (I believe Westinghouse TV is not available in India :D) and my current TV is 1 year old and I have the receipt also. Please clarify these.

Thanks in advance,
DreamLover

DreamLover said:
BTW, wrt 35% import tax, is it on the actual cost of the TV in US or in India? (I believe Westinghouse TV is not available in India :D) and my current TV is 1 year old and I have the receipt also. Please clarify these.

Thanks in advance,
DreamLover

If you are leaving forever......no customs duty....else you will be charged at an amount based on the screen size (same for led and lcd)....customs have a price list in indian rupees based on screen size not depend on brand....for 40 inch screen....avg price in India is near 40,000-50,000......Customs duty at 30%......you have to pay near 12000-15000 Indian rupees only for duty....Carry the bill along with you...it may help you if any problems occur in fixing duty ........

@Dreamlover: Most probably you will need a voltage converter as well. If your TV specifies 110-240VAC input, you don't need a converter. Else, you must put a converter. If you are going to use the TV in Bangalore, use Raksha make converter (220-100V, 500W ~Rs.1,200), it is light weight and better quality. I think it uses toroidal transformer and not the regular transformer.

I am using 1KW converter as it needs to power 46 LCD, Onkyo HTR and Nintendo Wii. I was using 500W one and it started smelling, when everything was being used at same time..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock