Breaking Disney has acquired 21st Century Fox’s film and TV studios in a landmark deal

• Comcast is in talks to sell its 30% stake in Hulu to Disney, sources say.
  • Comcast is weighing a number of factors with regard to a sale, including valuation, using sale proceeds to pay down debt and support the dividend, and future controls over Hulu.

Comcast is in talks about selling its 30 percent stake in Hulu to Disney, according to a report from CNBC this morning. The discussions are still in early stages. Comcast is considering whether the timing is right for the sale, as Hulu’s valuation could still increase over time. But if Comcast is less certain about Hulu's future, it may want to unload its minority stake now, then use the cash to pay down its other debt — like that from its 39 billion acquisition of Sky for example.

Comcast is in talks to sell its 30% stake in Hulu to Disney

What will happen to Tata Sky in next few months, will Disney continue to hold 30% hence leading to renaming as they cannot use "Sky" trademark anymore bcoz it is owned by Comcast now. If this does not happen then maybe Disney will exit DTH venture and Comcast will show interest in entering India.

Already Comcast has hinted at expanding operations and entering markets like India.

Also waiting for what future beholds for History TV18, FYI TV18, ESPN after their joint partnership contract with indian broadcasters ends. Hopefully HD Feed of FYI TV18 too will make its way across platforms as its distribution is extremely thin at present. Lots of other rebranding in store alongwith Disney Channels coming under Star India distribution umbrella

What will happen to Tata Sky in next few months, will Disney continue to hold 30% hence leading to renaming as they cannot use "Sky" trademark anymore bcoz it is owned by Comcast now. If this does not happen then maybe Disney will exit DTH venture and Comcast will show interest in entering India.

Already Comcast has hinted at expanding operations and entering markets like India.

Also waiting for what future beholds for History TV18, FYI TV18, ESPN after their joint partnership contract with indian broadcasters ends. Hopefully HD Feed of FYI TV18 too will make its way across platforms as its distribution is extremely thin at present. Lots of other rebranding in store alongwith Disney Channels coming under Star India distribution umbrella

I believe trademark is country specific much like patent laws. If you own sky in Europe that does not mean i cannot have sky in India

Last edited:
I believe trademark is country specific much like patent laws. If you own sky in Europe that does not mean i cannot have sky in India

I am not an expert in trademark or patent business but for sure "Sky" is being used here under permission from parent brand based in UK. You can see that written even on Tata Sky website bhai.

Earlier News Corp (former parent of Star India) had around 40% controlling stake in Sky which runs DTH and Satellite Channels in many countries. In india Star being partner with Tata in DTH business, they easily got permission to use Sky brand name.

Now with Sky and Star/Disney not being part of same business empire hence one way or the other some change will happen as i have described in earlier post

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock