Breaking DSPORT back with Discovery; Lex Sportel is out of the deal.

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 344
  • Views: Views 60,241
DSport to EuroSport
but current contents of DSport will be on 1Sport.
So there will be no DSPORT channel? And EuroSport channel will be from Discovery? If yes, then why DSPORT is promoting 1Sports on their channel? Will both EuroSport and 1Sports channels from Discovery?

Broadcasters needs to invest time in niche sports. Sony Six aired NFL live on tv but on HD channel. Sony ESPN aired MLB at early morning with no repeat until next 2 days despite having no live or exclusive programming. Also niche event is not properly promoted. Credit where it's due Sony did acquired very expensive boxing rights but they stopped from 2017 onwards.

Biggest problem is not just cricket. But local events which has become a too big of a market to ignore.

Streaming market for sports won't have increase until Amazon decides to bring sporting event to its portfolio. You need infrastructure which Indian streaming services lack. Veqta tried. Didn't seem to work. I am still bitter about missing Mayweather vs McGregor live because of a poor streaming.

Also niche event is not properly promoted.
broadcasters thinks promoting these events won't attract huge audience, that's why they don't even want to spend money on making promo videos/posters.
local events which has become a too big of a market to ignore.
Star Sports made Kabaddi a HUGE game by over promoting it, by popular players of other sports, and make everyone watch this game.

Huge population doesn't matter. It's the maturity and sporting sense of the general public.

How many of us spent time in watching football leagues other than EPL, LALIGA, German Bundesliga, Italian Serie A?

Some unknown app like Fancode is having rights to Eredivisie & Belgian Pro league, but networks like Sony and Star find it difficult to show other footballing / sporting events.

Also, Facebook is having rights to La liga , MLB.

But, most of us are happy watching crappy highlights of ISL and Indian cricket. That's what prompts the networks like Star and Sony to show such stuffs all the time.

How many of us would be interested in viewing late night / early morning Latin American football ( soccer), cycling events , motorsports such as Rallycross and WRC, and other prestigious events?

Have any of you gone through the programming of BEIN Sports ( Qatar based)?

It show multiple sporting events apart from popular football leagues and sporting events.

That's what the networks should be.

Besides, I hope that sports streaming should get popular in 2020....(. Don't think about just Hotstar /Sonyliv)
While I agree about the content consumption maturity, I don't really support the "crappy highlights" statement of yours. People watch what they like and these networks have assessed what would people watch and what gives them profit. When broadcasting just highlights, if a channel can make more advertisement profits than while broadcasting a niche sport live, any person would take the call of going with dead-but-alive content to make more money. To be honest, any average Indian would still be glued to his TV when the highlights of 2011 cricket world cup final gets aired, even to this date. It's about what more people like to see. Also, how well do the other non-cricket markets absorb cricket? Do they even know there's a sport called cricket? It's the same way there. How many sports networks would you find in Qatar, France, Germany or any South American country obsessed with cricket? A commercial sports network is essentially a business and nobody wants to go bankrupt with the content that is neglected. They can't work on diversifying their content for a negligible percentage of people who like niche events.

1. Most "average " Indians are happy watching crappy highlights. I agree with you on this point.

2. The broadcasting rights valuation especially regarding Indian cricket is directly connected with cricketing stars, espcially money and glamour aspects. So, the valuation and infatuation with IPL and International cricket in India is sky high and the duopoly of Star- Sony is feeding that to public and the public is busy eating the crap.

3. The major cricketing events and almost all the major Test, ODI & T20s are broadcasted all over the world. Wherever (Latin America, North america, Most of Europe, MENA,Oceania) traditional media like Tv networks don't broadcast, streaming services show cricket. Global players like ESPN stream them in Latin America, streaming services like Willow Tv and Yupp tv hold rights to international cricket and major tournaments in Europe and North America.
OSN hold cricketing rights for MENA.

4. Most of the non- commonwealth countries are not obsessed with cricket becuase cricket is a direct product of British colonialism.

5. Niche events have not ever driven any big network bankrupt.

6. Hopefully, i don't want it turn into another cricket vs other sports spat here.

Point no.2 is mostly fact and some of my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Indian cricket is directly connected with cricketing stars, espcially money and glamour aspects
Are you kidding me? Its very low in India tbh. And that came around as a direct result of foreign countries and their sports which you champion.

Take a gander outside your well. Those countries sexualize and commodify EVERY single aspect of all the sports they have.

That should be humiliating to fans, but apparently they lap it up and want it to be sexist and discriminatory as long as sexy aspects are involved to the core.

Are you kidding me? Its very low in India tbh. And that came around as a direct result of foreign countries and their sports which you champion.

Take a gander outside your well. Those countries sexualize and commodify EVERY single aspect of all the sports they have.

That should be humiliating to fans, but apparently they lap it up and want it to be sexist and discriminatory as long as sexy aspects are involved to the core.
You are out of your mind. Which sports have been sexualized? Closest thing I can think of is Lingerie Legends Football League which is just shame but what did it actually promoted? NFL is much bigger sporting property. It's doesn't need some cheap exposure.

Sexist nature in sports doesn't exist in 21st century. Only thing sexist about current sporting climate is lack of equal pay.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock