DTH updates Effective 1st August '24 Sony channels will not be available for viewing on Tata Play Mobile App (Live TV) & Tata Play Web

• Thread starter Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 33
  • Views Views: Views 4,605
Hello everyone

Can anyone explain the reason behind this move by tata play? Are they going through big losses?

Last edited by a moderator:
SonyLiv might be next to get removed from Binge.

Tata Play users shouldn't be this surprised, the tussle between Sony and Tata Sky / Tata Play is very open, I remember how they suddenly went ahead and removed many Sony Channels from their platform in 2018.

SonyLiv might be next to get removed from Binge.

Tata Play users shouldn't be this surprised, the tussle between Sony and Tata Sky / Tata Play is very open, I remember how they suddenly went ahead and removed many Sony Channels from their platform in 2018.

Sony Liv Won't Be Removed!

I remember how my favourite music channel Sony ROX HD was removed in 2018...

But SET HD was always available as a-la-carte option that time too.

Not being made available in package is a temporary issue and would be solved soon. Tata Play has the highest market share in Indian DTH industry.

Tata Play said it was doing so because of the channels’ low viewership but Sony termed the move 'arbitrary' and 'retaliatory'.
This isn't the first time Tata Play has removed channels from subscribers’ plans to reduce their bills, but it's the first time it has targeted a specific broadcaster.About 40-50% of Tata Play’s customers subscribe to Sony channels but only 25% actually watch them, Tata Play MD and CEO Harit Nagpal said.

Tata Play said it was doing so because of the channels’ low viewership but Sony termed the move 'arbitrary' and 'retaliatory'.
This isn't the first time Tata Play has removed channels from subscribers’ plans to reduce their bills, but it's the first time it has targeted a specific broadcaster.About 40-50% of Tata Play’s customers subscribe to Sony channels but only 25% actually watch them, Tata Play MD and CEO Harit Nagpal said.

Ratings says otherwise. Shows like Taarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashma, WWE, UFC, Crime Patrol etc. has more than decent audience.

Ratings says otherwise. Shows like Taarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashma, WWE, UFC, Crime Patrol etc. has more than decent audience.
Not a single person is going to believe that a broadcaster as large and nationally established as Sony, which is known in every corner of India, can have low viewership. It’s clear that Tata Play is spinning lie after lie to cover up its folly, and that it has a deep grudge against Sony which it is not willing to expose.

This is only the fault of Tata Play. Sony's channels are still available on Watcho and it is not possible that DishTV is able to make payments to Sony and not Tata Play. I think Tata Play is full of pride and is not paying Sony and is showing off its user base.

This is only the fault of Tata Play. Sony's channels are still available on Watcho and it is not possible that DishTV is able to make payments to Sony and not Tata Play. I think Tata Play is full of pride and is not paying Sony and is showing off its user base.

Post NTO payments r made by operators based on how many people subscribe to it be it broadcaster bouquets (individual basis or thru DPO Bouquets) and A La Carte option, the advanced long term deals r not signed anymore...... So there is no issue of Tata Play being able to pay Sony, infact Tata Play is claiming Sony Channels have minimal viewership so they removed them from all DPO Bouquets to reduce monthly charges for customers which in itself is not an apt reason as i have already explained even if this was the case they had other ways to address this issue.

Already Tata Play subscriber base is seeing a decline since last few years (overall comparison as in few quarters some increase might have happened but churn was more in many quarters ) and such steps will further create problems

Back
Top Bottom