Breaking Eurosport in India : DSport rebranded to Eurosport

in my opinion this channel will get the same affection which dsports got which was actually nothing and the sport shows broadcasted on this channel do not gain the viewership of the indian community. no one watches impact or tna , mls , psl which is a fact since dsports already used to telecast them. This channel wont be able to get famous as its european version as the have the rights for all the famous football leagues which are loved in europe. if this channel wants good rating then it needs to get rights for better sports competitions.

in my opinion this channel will get the same affection which dsports got which was actually nothing and the sport shows broadcasted on this channel do not gain the viewership of the indian community. no one watches impact or tna , mls , psl which is a fact since dsports already used to telecast them. This channel wont be able to get famous as its european version as the have the rights for all the famous football leagues which are loved in europe. if this channel wants good rating then it needs to get rights for better sports competitions.
Even if 1% of Indian population watches this. It's still 1.3 crore people. Duh!

Last edited:
I Disagree. These niche sports also has viewership, it may not be at the level of cricket but its there. And that number can be profitable as well considering the prices of acquiring these rights

Star Sports overpaid, period. Changing dynamic of sports business in this country.

There is a niche market for sports which dth can't ignore. It's not what majorities watches. Based on your logic channels like The Q and Fashion TV shouldn't exist on dth.

Buddy, u misunderstood the meaning of my post. Yes, niche content can exist and will do so but as i said either content acquisition cost needs to be within range to sustain thru subscription or limited ads or situation like Star Sports comes up where rights r costly hence there is stress on recovering investment / gain profit which is quite difficult to manage. Q India or Fashion TV or other such chs have extremely less content cost so comparison with star sports does not hold ground. Eurosport can b destination for niche sports but again operators will not add it and paying carriage will not b feasible financially.

Sony is managing sports chs well as all of their properties combined acquisition cost will b far less than what star is shelling out (large part for IPL, BCCI, ICC) . Even when Sony had IPL they were under less pressure bcoz initial IPL 10 yr rights came at fraction of current pricing, just compare what sony,star paid for 10 yr and 5 yr cycle respectively

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock