Discussion General News & Updates About Tata Play

• Thread starter Thread starter dinesh19
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 19,750
  • Views Views: Views 2,699,053
Sure buddy. I know about the same. I raised the issue of "lacking in implementing effective promotion strategy for FIFA World Cup" which clearly means a strategy which helps raise awareness and interest among subscribers for that event and does not cause any inconvenience or interruption to their viewing or user experience :)
Just saying. Viacom themselves are promoting JioCinema more than they are doing same with Sports18. How many Sports18 ads you saw?

I can't understand why are we discussing about ads and promotions shown by DTH operator 😂 Technically it is responsibilities of the broadcaster to do the promotions since they have purchased the rights and airing the matches.

DPOs work is providing clear information about respective channels, their subscription and make overall experience of watching the matches smooth and pleasant. TPs continues to do that in the best possible way, I am saying this even though I am sad with the changes happening in TP since rebrand.

The pictures posted by @iDJ bro above show efficient use of all mediums from IVR call to TV screen and mobile app that actually help customers. Why worried about the ads when they also allow live viewing of matches in TP web and app as well that came handy while Jio Cinema was not working.

Tata play is aggressively promoting sports 18 channel on its all possible mediums(chat support, WhatsApp etc) and has dedicated “Football” menu too on whatsapp for ease of channel addition.

tNb2f4n.png

I can't understand why are we discussing about ads and promotions shown by DTH operator 😂 Technically it is responsibilities of the broadcaster to do the promotions since they have purchased the rights and airing the matches.

DPOs work is providing clear information about respective channels, their subscription and make overall experience of watching the matches smooth and pleasant. TPs continues to do that in the best possible way, I am saying this even though I am sad with the changes happening in TP since rebrand.

The pictures posted by @iDJ bro above show efficient use of all mediums from IVR call to TV screen and mobile app that actually help customers. Why worried about the ads when they also allow live viewing of matches in TP web and app as well that came handy while Jio Cinema was not working

Exactly I thought so. As no one would do free promotions in this age where advertising draws major chunk of revenue.

DTH operators will only promote channels to generate buzz and awareness of channel availability.

Last edited:

The pictures posted by @iDJ bro above show efficient use of all mediums from IVR call to TV screen and mobile app that actually help customers. Why worried about the ads when they also allow live viewing of matches in TP web and app as well that came handy while Jio Cinema was not working.

Hi @Abhinav bro. Thanks for providing ur opinion on this matter.:)

1stly i would like to clearly state that i just mentioned that Tata Play is not promoting Sports18/FIFA World Cup on its home channel as there was no mention of the same in today's schedule of their home channel. I never said that they r not promoting it thru other mediums or whether that is effective or not. Basically i just raised a valid point, other responde back and i gave answers to their questions which is what started the discussion which usually happens in Tata Play threads as any slight mention of shortcoming of Tata Play makes some members angry.

Anyways coming to the topic, sure Tata Play would be promoting FIFA World Cup/Sports18 in a proper manner via other mediums like its Whatsapp Service Support Account, Tata Play App, IVR etc. but u may also agree that best option to promote anything us via home channels as it reaches out to a far wider audience as compared to other mediums. Not all use access Tata Play Whatsapp Account, IVR, App etc. but surely they watch TV and do tune in or get a glimpse regularly about content being aired on the home channel.

You stated its primarily responsibility of broadcasters to promote their content, well i slightly disagree on that. I believe in most cases yes broadcasters have to play key role for promoting their channels or content but in some cases specially for major sports events or movie premieres both operators and broadcasters play crucial part in attracting more audience towards it by raising awareness about it thru different mediums & home channels hold major significance in this. When India Cricket Matches r on u would have seen home channel slots filled with promos highlighting that series.
@kunalsays bro u r wrong when u say that operators won't promote channels for free, all the channel promos which u see in say ads of English Movie Pack or other such packs which feature on home channels of various DTH or Cable TV Platforms, they r all aired on operator's own will and not paid ones, aim of such internal campaigns is to increase subscriber interest towards the content.
Both broadcasters and operators compliment each other's growth and as a whole play an important role in performance of the broadcast industry. If broadcasters don't provide good content or do not promote it well then operators tend to see decline in ratings as well as subscription of such channels across different operators , same way operators promote content of various channels thru their internal campaigns on home which helps increase the subscription numbers for such channels thus benefiting them as well as broadcasters.

More so i should highlight that for Tata Play it is even more important to earn more money thru subscription fee of channels as they don't air various teleshopping ads on its home channels unlike say Airtel Digital TV which has many home channels which feature so many teleshopping ads thus generating good revenue for the company. Gone r the days when Tata Play could have earned lot of money from niche/premium subscribers as they opted for high oriced content...most of such viewers have shifted to OTT for consumption of content hence again reiterate the need for Tata Play to promote content well across its home channels so that mass subscriber base opts for such channels. Also Tata Play should start adding more home channels and air teleshoping ads on them which will open a good source of revenue for them. Some members say that Tata Play should not do this and they will lose the premium touch or it adversely impacts viewing experience ...both of which are not insync with the truth. Tata Play had decided to become a mass brand and shed its premium tag long back hence it should not think that airing telshopping ads on many home channels will impact its brand image adversely, secondly for viewers too it absolutely creates no negative impact on viewing experience...once can just skip those channels easily. Anyways sooner than later Tata Play will have to adopt this strategy, there r heavy costs involved in running a DTH Company, in today's age of OTT which is eating into DTH company's niche subscriber base and DD Free Dish which is causing erosion in their mass subscriber base, they have to search for new ways to earn revenue as well attract subscribers towards opting for more channels and even offer discounts / offers...all combined i don't see Tata Play's current policy of not airing teleshopping ads on home channel and even not adding more home channels for same rather proving counter productive then helping them in any way

Anyways coming to the topic, sure Tata Play would be promoting FIFA World Cup/Sports18 in a proper manner via other mediums like its Whatsapp Service Support Account, Tata Play App, IVR etc. but u may also agree that best option to promote anything us via home channels as it reaches out to a far wider audience as compared to other mediums. Not all use access Tata Play Whatsapp Account, IVR, App etc. but surely they watch TV and do tune in or get a glimpse regularly about content being aired on the home channel.
I disagree, people don't stay on home channel, they quickly switch to the channel they want to watch. Promotions through EPG has far more reach as it is visible frequently.

Not replying to other parts of that post because it is just repeat of what you had already said some time back where I had responded.

Back
Top Bottom