Get ready for pan-India cable TV digitization: Trai

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
KANNUR: The cable TV network in the urban areas of Kerala will go digital by the end of September 2014, and there will be complete transition to Digital Cable TV in the country by December 2014, said Telecom Regulatory Authority of India officials.

The digitization of cable TV network is going on in full swing and in the first phase it was introduced in four metropolitan cities, which will be expanded to 38 cities in the second phase, said Sibichen K Mathew, advisor (Kerala & Karnataka Regions) addressing a telecom consumer outreach programme organized by TRAI in Kannur on Tuesday. In the rural areas of the state the digitization will happen by the end of December 2014, along with all other parts of the country.

The TRAI official said this transition is highly beneficial to the customers as it will offer many value added services including broadband.

At the programme, the TRAI advisor also talked about the initiatives taken by the TRAI for telecom consumer protection and also told them about their rights as telecom customers.

Though mobile SIM cards have almost become the second identity of an individual, majority of mobile subscribers are unaware of their rights, said the official. He also said the intervention of TRAI helped a lot in bringing regulations to protect the interests of the telecom customers.

The TRAI will hold a similar outreach programme in Kozhikode on Thursday.

Get ready for pan-India cable TV digitization: Trai - The Times of India

After Fully Digitization The Monthly Charges Will Increase Rapidly.

Now Charges in Our Area For Analoge Cable is 150 pm for all channels

Now Charges in Our Area (with STB) is 150 pm for all channels.
Hathw@y STB Rs 1300/- & Siti cable STB Rs 1400/-
Hathw@y Exchange Price with any dth Rs 600/-

Prashanta said:
After Fully Digitization The Monthly Charges Will Increase Rapidly.

Now Charges in Our Area For Analoge Cable is 150 pm for all channels

ya bro... there are reports that channels prices are going to increse tenfolds after full digitisation when digital pricing scheme comes into effect.

Now many customers dont know the actual facts about pricing. Govt/Trai is hiding facts from the viewers & telling them that after full digitisation you will have to pay only for the channels you view, but this may be half-truth.

So there is going to be a big uproar from the customers when channel prices will be increased. May be govt/Trai intervention will be needed at that time to force DTH companies to decrease the channel price.

I think thats why DTH companies are now pushing for increase in channel price set by Trai before sunset. We can see this in connection to the statement by TS CEO Harit Nagpal asking Trai to increase base channel price.

dipak said:

Interesting to know that exchange with DTH scheme is available. So they take all DTH h/w & give cable connection at rs 600! What they do with DTH h/w?

Few months back I went to MSO office for STB related issue, I found that these people work like govt org. On one side DTH are employing every possible tech to capture market & on the other hand these cable guys are sleeping. I think there are some cities where cable is virtually out...

i think it is marketing policy to capture market.
hathway STB is very bad quality compare to tatasky STB.

NinadG said:
ya bro... there are reports that channels prices are going to increse tenfolds after full digitisation when digital pricing scheme comes into effect.

Now many customers dont know the actual facts about pricing. Govt/Trai is hiding facts from the viewers & telling them that after full digitisation you will have to pay only for the channels you view, but this may be half-truth.

So there is going to be a big uproar from the customers when channel prices will be increased. May be govt/Trai intervention will be needed at that time to force DTH companies to decrease the channel price.

I think thats why DTH companies are now pushing for increase in channel price set by Trai before sunset. We can see this in connection to the statement by TS CEO Harit Nagpal asking Trai to increase base channel price.

If thats the case the TRAI should force MSO's to deliver only those channels that people want and also a good reduction in subscribtion charges. Eg: If people want only a few pay channels then all the free channels should be a must so people need to pay only for the selected (bundle if necessary) pay channels and not for some channels that they would never watch.

dipak said:

What is the old price

dipak said:

What do you mean by 150 pm for all channels ?
Is that basic pack price or all channels the MSO has?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock