Discussion India should not have more than 5 news channels - Agree or disagree?

• Thread starter Mylanji
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 25
  • Views: Views 3,078

Should India have only 5 channels for news?

• Yes

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • There shouldn't be news channels at all

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

Mylanji

Contributor
Reaction score
A short disclaimer before I start this discussion - I don't at all have the intention to stir up a controversy over discussing this topic, but the changing dynamics of news channels over the years with regards to proper reportage of news, has forced me to speak about this. If the admins and moderators find this thread inappropriate, they can very well remove this. No questions will be asked.

On that note, let's start -

Before this wave of news channels started, news broadcasts were limited to 15 minutes, or in some cases, half an hour on a standard television channel. Then after maybe 1998, when NDTV launched India's first private news channel Star News in partnership with Rupert Murdoch, the scenario changed. Star News gave birth to some honest and also, some (now) notorious newscasters who changed the way we used to view news.

After the launch of Star News, Zee suddenly came to the news channel space with the launch of Zee News, the first private Hindi news channel in India. Later on Aaj Tak, which used to air as a half hour news bulletin on the now defunct DD Metro, was moulded into a 24 hour news channel.

Honestly speaking, that should've been it. Because during that particular period, these few channels that were launched, were no doubt doing 'true journalism'. That was truly a period when news was not noise. When holding a discussion or debate was not for the sake of TRP. The newscasters (now anchors) were very careful about their words. But sadly, it didn't stop there. It gave way for many news channels to launch in the near future, thereby disrupting the ecosystem of honest and true journalism.

The downfall started when a newly launched channel called India TV helmed by the now notorious 'journalist' Rajat Sharma, started a new way of reporting called 'Sting operation' which used hidden cameras to expose wrongdoings of certain influential individuals belonging to the entertainment industry. This led to a dangerous trend being followed by each and every news channel that went on air, or were already on air. Spycam reporting in the name of Sting operations became the norm and news channels started becoming TRP machinery.

Later on in 2003, the state run Prasar Bharati too launched the DD News channel in place of DD Metro, which of course was never in the TRP race, and stuck to basic news reporting. But that too changed after 2014. And now if we see the present state of these news channels, there's more of drama and misinformation rather than news in these channels. Be it national or regional, every news channel these days has shamelessly turned away from the ethics of journalism that once used to rule the news channels. Not to mention funding from Corporate houses and political parties that they get.

In other countries, there are not so many news channels like us. They only have 3 to 4 and in some cases - 5 channels which are only for news, as opposed to the horrendous number (400!) we have when it comes to news channels.

And the so called regulatory bodies which were formed to bring these errant news channels to book, are nothing but mute spectators with little or no appropriate action being taken.

So that's why I ask - Instead of having so many news channels, shouldn't there be only 5 news channels, one being run by Prasar Bharati and the other four being private, so that such atrocities in the name of reporting can be stopped?

Also I'm leaving a poll on the topic here. Please take that poll and give your valuable opinions (without bias, offensive verbiage and hatred) in the thread.

Thank you.

Last edited:
No, man. These channels are more entertaining than daily soap channel. Jokes aside! India itself is a size of continent with diverse language and culture. Not some small country. We need multiple channels specially local ones to cover local topics. Most of the local channels. Thanks to dependence on it's audience are dependent on ratings to attract local advertisers. Baba zap doesn't work when in local channels. Having, multiple smaller channels stops bigger ones from having monopoly like it's happening on national scale. Likes of News Nation, TV9 can never compete against Aaj Tak and Zee News. Many national news channels have tried to put their nose in regional market. They flopped infront of legacy regional channels. Only handfew are successful.

And you are wrong. Back in 2000s also many local news existed. They were not satellite channels than. Likes of Odisha TV and Prag News are example of them.

2 channels per state is enough i feel
In bengal majority dth prosecpective
8 channels of news ( 2 oldest ) other's newly launched but i am pretty sure people watch 2 channel only yup in cable 40+ local news channels
Yup topic / my statement maybe otf type but ( one channel should be supporting / biased ruling part 2nd one should be non biased ruling party channel then i feel news channels count decreaes)

Last edited:
Okay so according to you DD News was unbiased news channel but after BJP came into power DD News become channel which spread misinformation? Do you have any idea whom you are calling that ' a national news channel '.

Honestly India needs a channel akin to 'Euronews' as a rolling news channel with 20+ secondary languages. Most of the 'News' channels are mostly panels, interviews, bhakti or outright advertisements for phones and real estate.
Some 'news channels' even air best-ofs on comedy, movies and music with no background, just as filler. When you can't run a 24/7 service why launching one?
Whilst I agree there'd be more than enough for each national, regional, local and hyperlocal news, there are just simply too many, some being 'infomercial farms' whole entire schedule and on-air looks are just ads. I'm honestly surprised Naaptol airs IN SO MANY CHANNELS.

News channels should be auctioned like dd freedish for 10 years once.

Okay so according to you DD News was unbiased news channel but after BJP came into power DD News become channel which spread misinformation? Do you have any idea whom you are calling that ' a national news channel '.
I didn't say that. I don't doubt the credibility of DD News' reportage. Unlike other news channels it does not conduct toxic debates and all that. But recently one of it's newscasters Ashok Srivastava's name came out in the list of reporters and anchors blacklisted by the opposition alliance. So that made me think again.

A point I forgot to mention in my thread - the news agency ANI is also losing its credibility. There have been a lot of incidents where ANI made misrepresentations and bad reporting. Unfortunately many news channels still use footage from ANI after all this.

I am not saying it's unbiased. It never was unbiased at first place. It was always a pro government mouthpiece. But over the years. It just got worse Specially, with stupid debate shows. Earlier we use to show DD News as an example for civil debates. Than you got coverage of every smallest events of BJP. I am fine with being pro government. Atleast provide news like you use to. They have useless debates at PrimeTime with shows like Do Took. INDIA alliance has even started boycotting one Prasar Bharati anchor which is just unheard of a decade back because of open bias towards government.

I didn't say that. I don't doubt the credibility of DD News' reportage. Unlike other news channels it does not conduct toxic debates and all that. But recently one of it's newscasters Ashok Srivastava's name came out in the list of reporters and anchors blacklisted by the opposition alliance. So that made me think again.

A point I forgot to mention in my thread - the news agency ANI is also losing its credibility. There have been a lot of incidents where ANI made misrepresentations and bad reporting. Unfortunately many news channels still use footage from ANI after all this.
PTI is emerging as a good alternative nowadays. I hope competition forces ANI to become more ethical.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock