Info required on FTA Dish, STB etc. in Mumbai

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I am interested in setting up a system that will provide me with Free to Air (FTA) channels in Mumbai from all over the World.

BUDGET IS NOT A CONSTRAINT.

I have 5 TV's and if possible would like to connect all to access different channels at the same time.

I am novice to this FTA Dish, STB, Motor etc. purchase / installation / configuration.

I stay in Mumbai and Need help with the following:

1. Which system will provide max. channels for Free? Which product (brand) will cover all bands?
2. How many type of devices are needed (e.g.: Dish, STB, Motor etc.)
3. How many TV's can be connected to access different channels at the same time on one Dish?
4. What is the tentative cost?
5. Where do I buy it from?
6. Installation? (Easy / need technician)

Any help / information will be greatly appreciated.

Very nice keep it up :)
Answers in bold below

1. Which system will provide max. channels for Free? Which product (brand) will cover all bands? C-band and Ku-band multi-LNBs together will give maximum channels
2. How many type of devices are needed (e.g.: Dish, STB, Motor etc.) 2 to 4 dishes + One MPEG4 DVB-S2 HD STB is enough to cover all
3. How many TV's can be connected to access different channels at the same time on one Dish? Upto 4 TVs per set-top box, but all TVs will show same channel. So 1 STB per TV is recommended.
4. What is the tentative cost? Rs5,000 to Rs10,000
5. Where do I buy it from? Lamington Road, Grant Road (East), Mumbai
6. Installation? (Easy / need technician) Very easy

If you need more help, I am ready to personally help you with installation :)
I stay in North Mumbai. Enabling my PM for you by adding you to my Buddy List.

Vinay said:
Very nice keep it up :)
Answers in bold below

1. Which system will provide max. channels for Free? Which product (brand) will cover all bands? C-band and Ku-band multi-LNBs together will give maximum channels
2. How many type of devices are needed (e.g.: Dish, STB, Motor etc.) One MPEG4 DVB-S2 HD STB is enough to cover all
3. How many TV's can be connected to access different channels at the same time on one Dish? Upto 4 TVs per set-top box
4. What is the tentative cost? Rs5,000 to Rs10,000
5. Where do I buy it from? Lamington Road, Grant Road (East), Mumbai
6. Installation? (Easy / need technician) Very easy

If you need more help, I am ready to personally help you with installation :)
I stay in North Mumbai. Enabling my PM for you by adding you to my Buddy List.

Hi Vinay,

First of all, thank you so much for your quick reply.

I currently have only a standard cable TV, no dish or other equipments. You mentioned about "MPEG4 DVB-S2 HD STB", If I understand it correctly then it is just a box, what about Dish antennae for receiving the signal from satellite?

Please explain in lay man terms, Thanks.

Vinay will help you @Ankur... since he is also from mumbai.. For more info kindly browse all threads and posts in Satellite tracking section of our forum...

Thanks a lot.. Keep posting :) Hv a nice time in ddf... :tup

Ankur Kushalka said:
Hi Vinay,

First of all, thank you so much for your quick reply.

I currently have only a standard cable TV, no dish or other equipments. You mentioned about "MPEG4 DVB-S2 HD STB", If I understand it correctly then it is just a box, what about Dish antennae for receiving the signal from satellite?

Please explain in lay man terms, Thanks.

Yes right MPEG4 DVB-S2 HD STB is just a set-top box. About dish antennae, you can choose from smaller Ku-band dishes to bigger 6 feet C-band dishes. The number of dishes needed depends on how many satellites you want to catch. Nearby satellites can be received on a single dish by multi-LNB thereby saving dish cost + space. LNBs fixed on the aligned dish are simply connected to Set-top box LNB In, which in turn is connected to TVs by AV, Component, HDMI etc.

For C-band setup will need an open terrace space which is rare in Mumbai. But if you have good space then you can setup a nice dish farm :)

I recommend you start with a basic DD Direct Plus DTH small dish setup. You will quickly become a Pro once you start with it.

Hi Vinay

I have an open terrace on 18th floor and I stay on 7th floor, so will need info about cable length etc. I would like to go with decent size Dish not too big otherwise may get objections from building committee.

Vinay, is it possible for you to directly provide a list of such devices that would be needed to purchase to start with:

1. Dish??
2. LNB??
3. STB??
4. Other things for connecting multiple TV's in different rooms

Please note that presently a coaxial cable (put by standard cable tv operator) is already present in each room and the signal is split via a splitter. This info may help to verify if we can use the same cables or need another type of cable.

Answers in bold purple text below:

Ankur Kushalka said:
Vinay, is it possible for you to directly provide a list of such devices that would be needed to purchase to start with:

1. Dish?? 60cm Ku-band dish is sufficient (any pvt dth dish will also work)
2. LNB?? Universal Ku-band LNB
3. STB?? SOLID HDS2 2100 MPEG4 High Definition comes for around Rs2500
4. Other things for connecting multiple TV's in different rooms RF Modulator of chosen VLF/VHF/UHF frequency will be needed to inject TV signals into the existing cable wires.

Please note that presently a coaxial cable (put by standard cable tv operator) is already present in each room and the signal is split via a splitter. This info may help to verify if we can use the same cables or need another type of cable. You can use the same existing cable.

If you have a balcony facing South-East, you may consider installing it there to avoid lengthy wire from dish to stb

Hi Vinay,

I have a large Balcony facing direct North and Window facing South. Will this direction help?

Secondly, do I need to go for full HD (Solid 3000) or the one you mentioned is good enough?

Also, I forgot to ask for recording feature, can we get a DVR inbuilt / any other way?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock