KAL CABLE (SCV) License cancelled.

Mystery surrounding the cancellation of Kal Cables DAS License
Thursday, 04 September 2014 12:35

Chennai : No wonder the news of License cancellation for Kal Cables DAS operation in Chennai was unbelievable to many in the media circle all over India, despite the updates from various corners and many chose to ignore it as rumours until the news of Kal Cables filing a writ petition in Chennai High Court on 26th August, against the order of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, came out openly in the market, followed by the official update on the MIB portal on 27th August

However, the circumstances of cancellation of license remained unclear due to the simple note in the MIB's notification that stated reason "due to denial of security clearance by MHA"

The above mentioned reason was sounding peculiar as the Company was in to the cable business for more than a decade and applied for DAS license on 18.05.2012 and it got the permanent license on 19.06.2012 for the Chennai Metro and on 07.03.2013 for the Phase II area without any hurdles. whereas the sudden denial of MHA clearance has raised the eyebrows of many in the Indian Media circle.

Moreover, the latest updated sources also confirm, the news of Union Home Ministry (MHA) handing over of a "secret file" to the Chennai High Court that contains the reason for denial of security clearance to Kal Cables. This concept of secret file without being disclosed to the public or media or even the affected business entity is seems to be a never before and first of its kind activity of a central government against a legally operating business establishment in the country.

Adding fuel to the mystery was the questions raised by Senior Council for Kal Cables P S Raman before the Chennai High Court stating "security clearance must mean external security threat and something which involved the larger interest of the nation. He said Kal Cables is not facing any criminal case and that not even an FIR had been registered against it. "At least a showcause notice could have been served on me. I am not even facing an FIR. Today I am answering the allegations which are unknown to me,"

while Mr. Dayandhi Maran had exited the board of Kal Cable in 2004 in-order to avoid conflict of interest before assume the charge of a Union Minister and Mr. Kalanidhi Maran exiting the board in 2009, MHA's denial of security clearance on an company which don't face any criminal case is being looked at as the mysteries to the core.

Finally, the additional solicitor general of India's counter argument that "there were adverse Intelligence Bureau reports against the company" in the form of negative IB report and adverse information against the Company is looking to be the mother of all mysteries.

In this mysterious circumstances the High Court is expected to deliver its verdict tomorrow and the entire media industry is hoping that at-least the court will give some clarity and reveal the facts of secret files of MHA and other unexplained factors.

TV NEWS 4U

Hopefully there would be a good update on Friday 05 Sep (Just 15 - 16 hrs from now... though they seem to have time till Saturday). :)

@Ahmedshabbir20
Relief for Maran brothers. Madras High Court quashes I & B ministry's order cancelling SCV license due to security reasons.

@Ahmedshabbir20
MHC while setting aside the orders I&B ministry cancelling the licenses of Kal cables. Judges ask "why no issuance of show cause notice?"

@Ahmedshabbir20
Madras HC also gives liberty to Ministry of I&B to initiate action afresh, by issuing show cause notice in accordance with law.

TimesNow Reporter

Yes, they can run business. Looks like it will take long to challenge and win them.

கல் கேபிள் டிவி உரிமத்தை ரத்து செய்த மத்திய அரசின் உத்தரவு செல்லாது : உயர் நீதிமன்றம்

:new Ministry of Information and Broadcasting going to challenge the Madras high court verdict by monday in Supreme Court :sp:tup:ohya

Madras high court quashes cancellation of licence to Sun Group's Kal Cables

CHENNAI: The Madras high court on Friday quashed the Union government's order cancelling the permit to Sun Group's cable television arm Kal Cables.

Justice V Ramasubramanian quashed the cancellation of provisional licence saying no show-cause notice had been issued. He said the Centre was free to take action in respect of other violations, if any.

Kal Cables, owned by former Union minister Dayanidhi Maran, his brother Kalanidhi Maran and their families, had opposed the August 20 order, conveyed to the group on August 26, saying it was just a multi-system operator (MSO) and not a channel. Had they issued notice, the company would have explained the doubts, it said.

Kal Cables moved the court saying the Union ministry of information and broadcasting had directed the company to wind up its cable and channel distribution operations in Chennai and phase II cities such as Coimbatore in 15 days.

Kal Cables obtained a permanent licence to operate in Chennai in June 2012 and a provisional licence to operate in DAS notified areas in phase II cities like Coimbatore in March 2013. In two separate letters issued on August 20, but emailed to Kal on August 26, the Union ministry asked the MSO to shut down operation in 15 days.

The order was passed following denial of mandatory security clearance by the Union ministry of home for the company's activities. The I&B ministry also asked the company to run continuous scroll on the screen intimating the subscribers that channels would not be available in 15 days.

It wanted the court to quash the order and direct the Centre to give a permanent registration for the company to continue with its operations.

Madras high court quashes cancellation of licence to Sun Group's Kal Cables - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock