My Satellite Hunting Arsenal

xibalban

Reaction score
The following is my minimal weaponry in my pursuit for satellite hunting. There will be no more additions, for now.

IMG_20151127_071049.jpg

Now, my hunting begins. I have an 8 feet aluminium punched sheet prime focus dish to match with the above arsenal. It is currently set to Thaicom 5 (78.5° E). My mission is:

1st Phase:

1. To effectively calculate the horizontal/vertical offset distance of each individual side LNB. The dish F/D ratio is 41/96.

2. To install 4 side LNBs: 91.4°, 76.5°, 68.5° & 66.0° (C Band)

2nd Phase:

3. To install Ku Band LNBs: 93.5°, 95.0°, 75.0°

Wish me luck and guidance!

Thanks to everyone.

Now my quest starts, but theory comes first. The first confusion (roadblock) was getting the right formula for side LNB placement. The answer was finding the Tangent of the angle of separation for a particular dish whose F/D ratio is known. In my case the F/D ratio is 41/96. The Tangent of 1° comes out to approx 0.017, but kindly note the following:

Tan (A×B) ≠ A × Tan (B)
i.e Tan (8×5) ≠ 8 × Tan (5)
i.e. 0.839 ≠ 0.437

As a result, if the angular distance between two satellites (Measat 3 and Thaicom 5) for example is say 13°. Then we cannot simply multiply 13 and tan 1° instead of finding tan 13°.

Hence, how can we simply use the value of Tan 1° as a multiplication factor? There must be a better formula.

I've succeeded in setting up a preliminary setup. I've caught
66° as side LNB, but struggled with Measat 3. No matter how hard I try, I only receive UN TV.
Could someone provide strongest TP of Measat, please.

Another issue has come up. I was trying to set up 76.5° adjacent to 78.5°. The angle of separation is only 2° and horizontal distance comes to 1.6 inch as per my calculation.
Should I cut both the LNB feedhorns from one side? Will that affect reception?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock