No telecast of Sachin's match on Doordarshan : Prasar Bharati seeks rules amendment

ramanishankar

Reaction score
With Doordarshan missing out the telecast of cricket great Sachin Tendulkar's last two tests due to present rules of coverage, Prasar Bharati has written to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry seeking immediate amendment of these for the benefit of fans.

In a communication to the ministry, Prasar Bharati has sought amendment of the Sports Broadcasting Act, 2007 so that such telecasts don't bleed the national broadcaster.

In a letter written to I&B Ministry Additional Secretary J S Mathur, Prasar Bharati's Member (Finance) B B Pandit said that the decision to telecast only three one day matches of the India-West Indies series was guided both by the "legal position" and the huge revenue loss that would have to be incurred if the test matches were also covered. "I also wish to point out that the ironical situation whereby we are deprived of the privilege of telecasting the last match of India's greatest sporting icons has arisen because of the provisions of the Sports Broadcast Act, 2007 which is injurious to the financial health of the Prasar Bharati...," Pandit said in his letter.

He added that his earlier communications on the subject too established the need to amend the Act.

Officials said that according to the Sports Broadcasting Act, the national broadcaster covers only those sporting events which are of national importance. This does not include Test matches unless they are considered to be of high public interest by the government.

In his letter, Prasar Bharati's member (finance) said that as per Doordarshan's estimates, the net loss for telecasting Test matches live would have been to the tune of Rs 9.25 crore, which it can ill afford.

He said that the opportunity cost of telecasting the event would be Rs 10 crore as against which the ad revenue would be Rs 1 crore. And Rs 9.25 crore would have to be handed over to the broadcasting rights holder.

Sources said that the I&B ministry had initially expressed interest regarding telecast of Tendulkar's last matches on Doordarshan

Source:

No telecast of Sachin Tendulkar's match on Doordarshan : Prasar Bharati seeks rules amendment - Sport - DNA

Good update.
I also watched news about this matter on etv mp channel in morning...

I haven't watched DD since I wanted to have glimpse of Republic Day Parade. But yes, there are many who have only DD to watch. Will DTH work anywhere in India ?

Yes. DTH works anywhere India. Even few works fine out side India, which has satellite coverage in our neighboring countries as well.

DD have to pay hudge money to the broadcaster for 5 days match ended in just 2 days and 1 session. Hats off DD not spent the tax payers money for nothing.

Not only dd dth also terrestial covrage all over in india.
Common man and below poverty line people who can't afford dd dth stb also watch dd national and dd news channel through anteena..

Some time money is not important,every common man and persons who paid tax also wanted to see this match...

prashant shridhar said:
Not only dd dth also terrestial covrage all over in india.
Common man and below poverty line people who can't afford dd dth stb also watch dd national and dd news channel through anteena..

Some time money is not important,every common man and persons who paid tax also wanted to see this match...

Then go an tell this kind of things to BCCI and Star Sports money is important for them or peoples passion they hype Sachin's retirement and earning money MCA sell the ticket starting with Rs. 1000 Star Sports earning money with ads and with subscription no one thinks for poor people also poor peoples earns at morning and sleep at night they have don't time for Sachin's retirement or for the luxurious game like cricket.

Star Sports will not allow direct telecast on DD as they have invested hundreds of crores & wants to earn thousands of crores unless govt makes it mandatory.

NinadG said:
Star Sports will not allow direct telecast on DD as they have invested hundreds of crores & wants to earn thousands of crores unless govt makes it mandatory.
Money is the only question.

Ya Bro, money is the only big thing. Star would have asked huge money for the test...
DD would have to incur almost 10 crs of loss...

ramanishankar said:
In a letter written to I&B Ministry Additional Secretary J S Mathur, Prasar Bharati's Member (Finance) B B Pandit said that the decision to telecast only three one day matches of the India-West Indies series was guided both by the "legal position" and the huge revenue loss that would have to be incurred if the test matches were also covered.

In his letter, Prasar Bharati's member (finance) said that as per Doordarshan's estimates, the net loss for telecasting Test matches live would have been to the tune of Rs 9.25 crore, which it can ill afford.

He said that the opportunity cost of telecasting the event would be Rs 10 crore as against which the ad revenue would be Rs 1 crore. And Rs 9.25 crore would have to be handed over to the broadcasting rights holder.

Source:

No telecast of Sachin Tendulkar's match on Doordarshan : Prasar Bharati seeks rules amendment - Sport - DNA

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock