Discussion Odia, Assamese and Bhojpuri - not so profitable markets for national GEC players?

Mylanji

Contributor
Reaction score
The title of the topic may not sound good to some of my fellow members. But I feel this is the truth.

(Note : This thread is only about GEC. No discussion on news channel will be done here)

List of Odia channels (GEC) as of now:

Tarang TV Ltd.
Tarang TV
Tarang Music
Alankar

Viacom 18
Colors Odia (Formerly ETV Odia)

Zee Network
Zee Sarthak (Formerly Sarthak TV)

Star TV - Nil

List of Bhojpuri GECs as of now:

Mahuaa TV
Mahuaa Plus
Anjan TV
Big Ganga
Dishum TV

List of Assamese Channels as of now :

Rang TV
Rengoni
Ramdhenu

Last edited:
It's so simple... Its bitter to say but still north eastern parts of India is under developed (comparing with rest of India) and most of areas are lacking basic amenities and technologies. So there is not a such big scope on those markets. Only thing is government has uplift those areas.

The fact that there is not a single HD channel from these languages is enough. From Star there are zero channels, from Zee only Zee Sarthak in Odia (formerly Zee Punjabi, Zee Gujarati and Zee ETC Punjabi), from Viacom18 Colors Gujarati (an HD feed was announced but never launched) and Colors Odia.

Odia, more than the other languages, has the potential to launch at least Zee Sarthak HD in the next 5 years, if not Tarang HD. But a small independent network like Ortel (Tarang) in only one language can successfully launch an HD channel. Mazhavil Manorama HD is the best example.

Assamese is the predominant language of the Northeast, and except DD very few channels pay importance to other NE languages. No wonder Zee—leave alone Star—is not interested in Assamese.
In Bhojpuri, however, the No. 1 channel (Big Ganga) is owned by Zee, which is good news. :tup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock