Breaking Pay channels are shown on DD free dish as free, why can’t the same be free on cable network?....TRAI is looking into it.

• Thread starter shubhr
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 29
  • Views: Views 3,710
I think TRAI has told DD FREE DISH, will not be in New TRAI rules....I have read this somewhere in this forum
No dear.. read TRAI FAQ number 19.
Can u quote where u read that and when...since things are getting changed on daily basis now

Last edited:
Brother, i understand what you are trying to convey but as i have mentioned normal policy does not apply to DD Free Dish. You can also google and search for these special guidelines and exemptions provided to Free Dish. It is basically a government platform for catering to common public needs.

By the way how is Tata Sky charging Rs. 20 for FTA channel like DD News HD?
TATA SKY not charging any amount, its free

DD Free Dish is governed by different rules created by the government so that people from lower income groups get access to free basic entertainment.

No point comparing it with private operator model. Private operators r already earning money from FTA channels and pay channel revenue earned from subscribers is shared between broadcaster + operator while in DD Free Dish entire revenue model is based on broadcaster payment.

Previously too Dish TV had raised objections when Star Bharat landed on Free Dish but case was rejected, in this case too same will happen. Any channel can join Free Dish , major broadcasters never launch important channels there, just some regular stuff is available for consumption.
Oh really...dishtv is so mean. They are still using dd free dish tp to provide free channels and they are itself complaining...jis thali me khaya usi me chhed

Tell me one thing what kind of deal dishtv has with dd free dish. Why they are allowed to use dd free dish tp? While other DTH operators are using own tp. Why government has not raised any objection?? We are still paying ncf right. So why pay ₹153 for free channels from dd free dish

No dear.. read TRAI FAQ number 19

The only problem with this regulation is that it will not solve the bigger problem. There are two sides to this coin, one is what we see here in this thread, Pay channels shown for free on the Free Dish.As you have pointed out, this regulation will cut short this practice.The way out is simple, take it the channel from free dish and price it as usual or a little less else where. No real positive for the consumers and the broadcasters still won't have to pay anything to the other party, the distributor. Precisely what Star did for their very first FTA sports channel now turned Pay channel, Star First.

However the major issue, the other side is that the distributors like Sun direct can still provide customers with their affiliated channel like Sun TV for free, yes it isn't FTA because the broadcaster isn't providing it for free, its the distributor who is discounting the channel to Rs.0. Meaning I am paying 19Rs for a channel which is in another platform availabile for Rs.0, Back where it started. At the eod, its still the same parent company reaps the rewards.

Last edited:
The only problem with this regulation is that it will not solve the bigger problem. There are two sides to this coin, one is what we see here in this thread, Pay channels shown for free of Free Dish. As you have pointed out, this regulation will cut short this practice. However the major issue, the other side is the distributors like Sun direct can provide customers with their affiliated channel like Sun TV for free, yes it isn't FTA because the broadcaster isn't providing ot for free, its the distributor who is discounting the channel to Rs.0. Meaning I am paying 19Rs for a channel which is in another platform availabile for Rs.0. Back where it started. At the eod, its still the same parent company reaps the rewards.
Many broadcasters are also MSO or DTH providers...and they are free to reduce their DRP as opposed to MRP. You are right there. But, in a way most of them can do that...and how's that bad?
... as per my understanding it's not the broadcasters who pay to distributors to carry the channels but it's the other way around. Distributors buy channels from broadcasters at negotiated price and can sell at DRP. Larger the subsciber base of that distributor harder it can negotiate for distributor margin....untill now. revenue distribution is now guided by TRAI between broadcasters and distributors.

Another major change now because of this is ....increase in number of HD channels and SD channels even by small distributors coz they are not at disadvantage during negotiation... U can see it as early as now....many players are increasing their channel base and especially HD channel base

Last edited:
...and how's that bad?

It goes against everything TRAI regulation originally intended to do. Make the arena a level playing field, so consumers can choose a distributor that provides the better service and choose the channels they need. For example, lets just say that If I prefer Tata Sky but I watch Sun TV, what are my options? Pay for it in Tata Sky and keep better service or settle for the relatively poor service and discounted price. Its not the end of the world,yes, but its far from ideal.

Also the smaller players will be hard done by it, they have no top channels to subsidize,see?

And before someone asks why shouldn't other distributors give the same discounts. The answer is simple, it makes little sense for them. Sun direct will indirectly profit from Sun Tv gaining viewership rating but another operator like Tata sky won't.

Last edited:
It goes against everything TRAI regulation originally intended to do. Make the arena a level playing field, so consumers can choose a distributor that provides the better service and choose the channels they need. For example, lets just say that If I prefer Tata Sky but I watch Sun TV, what are my options? Pay for it in Tata Sky and keep better service or settle for the relatively poor service and discounted price. Its not the end of the world,yes, but its far from ideal.

Also the smaller players will be hard done by it, they have no top channels to subsidize,see?

And before someone asks why shouldn't other distributors give the same discounts. The answer is simple, it makes little sense for them. Sun direct will indirectly profit from Sun Tv gaining viewership rating but another operator like Tata sky won't.
U r making valid points but they are again one side of the coin... This order for sure is no cure all thing. And i m myself no expert in this business so can't comment on everything u r saying here. But as i know Zee is behind D2h and Dish TV...both are sister concerns themselves...so same thing as u said abou SD applies to Zee also. I don't know if it will be enough to make u choose d2h/dish over TS/Airtel/SD even if u start getting discounted Zee channels on these platform and u, assuming...for example..., a die hard zee channels fan. Can't say it will really make much impact.
Regarding small distributors...please read this article...one brighter aspect for them too.

I personally feel that quality of service will be biggest driving factor now in choosing ur operator.

Last edited by a moderator:
U r making valid points but they are again one side of the coin... This order for sure is no cure all thing. And i m myself no expert in this business so can't comment on everything u r saying here. But as i know Zee is behind D2h and Dish TV...both are sister concerns themselves...so same thing as u said abou SD applies to Zee also. I don't know if it will be enough to make u choose d2h/dish over TS/Airtel/SD even if u start getting discounted Zee channels on these platform and u, assuming...for example..., a die hard zee channels fan. Can't say it will really make much impact.
Regarding small distributors...please read this article...one brighter aspect for them too.

I personally feel that quality of service will be biggest driving factor now in choosing ur operator.

Rest assured, you don't have to convince me. I am myself a believer in this TRAI regulation. The only point I set out to make was that highlighting that Pay channels are being shown for free on Free Dish will not benefit viewers in any way, and also that its just the tip of the iceberg. The MSOs, DTH providers, broadcasters have been exploiting a whole lot of loopholes to make more money.

Also regarding the Zee, Dish and D2H triangle. I just brought up Sun as an example. I myself own a D2H connection, I have not subscribed a single Zee channel but I get a handful of zee Channels while I still don't get 5 the channels which I have actually subscribed for. Most people won't go over to another dth for a single channel, probably yes. But the possibility of this confusion is very much present, Unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brothers, the 2nd issue u r highlighting isn't going to make any major difference. Suppose i watch only Sun Network channels and opt for Sun Direct to get them at concesional rates, in this case Sun Direct will suffer revenue loss. Same will apply for other broadcasters and their sistern concern operators.

If i am interested in multiple networks then no matter which operator u chose , overall in total u will pay same price for channels as discounts on either sides will balance the difference.

Coming to ur point that earlier too same happened, well to be honest the scale was much wider. So earlier Tata Sky being a leader in premium and other segments too was able to get huge discounts across various broadcasters riding on this power while say others like Dish TV or some MSO weren't given same benefits. In turn Tata Sky enjoyed huge profit margin per subscriber but now max they can give such discounts by absorbing cost themselves with relation to Star but this is also unlikely to happen.

Rest assured, you don't have to convince me. I am myself a believer in this TRAI regulation. The only point I set out to make was that highlighting that Pay channels are being shown for free on Free Dish will not benefit viewers in any way, and also that its just the tip of the iceberg. The MSOs, DTH providers, broadcasters have been exploiting a whole lot of loopholes to make more money.

Also regarding the Zee, Dish and D2H triangle. I just brought up Sun as an example. I myself own a D2H connection, I have not subscribed a single Zee channel but I get a handful of zee Channels while I still don't get 5 the channels which I have actually subscribed for. Most people won't go over to another dth for a single channel, probably yes. But the possibility of this confusion is very much present, Unfortunately.
No. I m not trying to convince u or anyone for this rule. i believe that everyone has his own preference and knows better for himself.
Contrarily, i find it a very healthy discussion that's why i perused it further with u. i myself came to know of a thing or too from this forum.
I feel it's always good to know all view points so i m not biased with my own take on any matter.
Regarding plus and minus points of this rule...yes they will be there. But i think transparency and over the table deals are always better for customers in long run though i am finding that large number of customers are getting hit on price point by choosing same way as before or not being given choices by providers as is advised in this rule. And i find people reaction to be very strong...rather a bit harsh against this rule in toto without reading out its implications fully or giving it time to settle down further on price point too. And that's sad.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock