Breaking Pay channels are shown on DD free dish as free, why can’t the same be free on cable network?....TRAI is looking into it.

• Thread starter shubhr
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 29
  • Views: Views 3,711
Coming back to topic;
I feel that parity between Free dish and private operators' channel pricing will necessitate correction from broadcasters. Two way it can be done.
By again making those channels FTA as before against now 0.10 rs pricing which they introduced to make that channel available for bouquet and at the same time continue it as FTA on free dish. Other option is to keep it paid and remove from free dish. I think they are under compulsion now to take the first route as that is less damaging to them. This will help all subscribers. But if they take second choice than it won't help paid customers just like now but it will hurt free dish subscribers and also their viewership and ad revenue.... i hope i m getting this scenario correct..

Pay channels are shown on DD free dish as free, why can’t the same be free on cable network?
As per the regulations, a broadcaster has to declare its nature of channels as either pay channel or Free to Air for addressable system. Therefore, nature of channel should be same on all addressable platforms. TRAI is seized of the matter and is in correspondence with those concerned in this regards

Broadcaster's response is that DD Freedish is not addessable system because even DD does not know how many subscribers they have. Tariff order is for addressable system so Taiff order is not applicable in DD Freedish so pay chs can be FTA in DDFD

Coming back to topic;
I feel that parity between Free dish and private operators' channel pricing will necessitate correction from broadcasters. Two way it can be done.
By again making those channels FTA as before against now 0.10 rs pricing which they introduced to make that channel available for bouquet and at the same time continue it as FTA on free dish. Other option is to keep it paid and remove from free dish. I think they are under compulsion now to take the first route as that is less damaging to them. This will help all subscribers. But if they take second choice than it won't help paid customers just like now but it will hurt free dish subscribers and also their viewership and ad revenue.... i hope i m getting this scenario correct..

It is continue as it is now, Free Dish should and will get necessary exemptions. Why are we so worried about it? It hardly matters, be it FTA or pay we need to pay NCF on basis of number of channels we choose and except for Star Bharat all pay channels part of Free Dish cost some paisa per month, i am sure we won't mind it.

Also brother broadcasters deliberately converted their FTA channels to Pay mode so that it can be kept in bouquet and reaches more subscribers, keeping it FTA would have meant keeping it out of bouquet due to rules applies and hence risking lower viewership as some won't have opted it voluntarily

It is continue as it is now, Free Dish should and will get necessary exemptions. Why are we so worried about it? It hardly matters, be it FTA or pay we need to pay NCF on basis of number of channels we choose and except for Star Bharat all pay channels part of Free Dish cost some paisa per month, i am sure we won't mind it.

Also brother broadcasters deliberately converted their FTA channels to Pay mode so that it can be kept in bouquet and reaches more subscribers, keeping it FTA would have meant keeping it out of bouquet due to rules applies and hence risking lower viewership as some won't have opted it voluntarily
I have not used free dish myself so not aware of channels available on it but i was getting reaction from people that there are many channels...good channels which are on free dish but marked as paid by broadcasters now. I know of star bharat being one for example. And it's a good channel. so if it gets free then it will help lowering the cost to paid subscribers too.... which will be good.

Second point of urs..... i have myself said same thing. So nothing to add there.

Broadcaster's response is that DD Freedish is not addessable system because even DD does not know how many subscribers they have. Tariff order is for addressable system so Taiff order is not applicable in DD Freedish so pay chs can be FTA in DDFD
Can u refer to broadcaster's response....if it is after 1st feb then probably it ends the debate here....

Pay channels are shown on DD free dish as free, why can’t the same be free on cable network?
As per the regulations, a broadcaster has to declare its nature of channels as either pay channel or Free to Air for addressable system. Therefore, nature of channel should be same on all addressable platforms. TRAI is seized of the matter and is in correspondence with those concerned in this regards
Bro the reason for this is that the TRAI order applies specifically to digitally addressable systems like commercial DTH where the signals are encrypted and the DTH operator has complete record of every single subscriber through their subscriber id, it also applies to IPTV, cable operators etc which are termed as digital addressable systems. As far as DD free dish is concerned, it has completely unencrypted signals and DD has no way to know or track the number of subscribers using its service until it encrypts its signals, hence it is not classified as digitally addressable system and does not come under the ambit of TRAI mandate. (TRAI has deliberately kept this loophole for benefit of DD, until it encrypts its signals even if it continues to be a free service). Hope that clears your doubt.

Bro the reason for this is that the TRAI order applies specifically to digitally addressable systems like commercial DTH where the signals are encrypted and the DTH operator has complete record of every single subscriber through their subscriber id, it also applies to IPTV, cable operators etc which are termed as digital addressable systems. As far as DD free dish is concerned, it has completely unencrypted signals and DD has no way to know or track the number of subscribers using its service until it encrypts its signals, hence it is not classified as digitally addressable system and does not come under the ambit of TRAI mandate. (TRAI has deliberately kept this loophole for benefit of DD, until it encrypts its signals even if it continues to be a free service). Hope that clears your doubt.
I do understand this way only myself.... However is there any specific reason for TRAI to put it in its FAQ number 19 mentioning DD free dish and assuring customers of looking into the matter?
Another point I will clear that this is new entry in latest FAQ published by TRAI after 1st Feb and not in FAQ published before that..
However if there's any clarification from R. S. Sharma in this week on the matter AFTER putting in FAQ then I'll understand it close.
Another user here @Sarkar conveyed same in above posts...I have yet to verify it personally though...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock