Breaking Reliance and Disney merger approved by CCI

• Thread starter Thread starter rajrocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 571
  • Views Views: Views 77,263
Same query
As per CCI, Star India is part of Merger but they not mentioned Disney india in their press release.
Disney star and viacom18 is going to merge, disney is already combined with star network that's why they changed the name as disney star.. so disney content is also part of this deal

I guess they will call new entity as Star India and OTT platform hotstar. This will make this JV look stand alone and away from Reliance.
For example, when Network18 was bought by RIL till date they didn't mention anywhere that channel is owned by Reliance.
Similarly, I think they'll do with this JV. BTW the another name coming to my mind is Star TV 18.

I guess they will call new entity as Star India and OTT platform hotstar. This will make this JV look stand alone and away from Reliance.
For example, when Network18 was bought by RIL till date they didn't mention anywhere that channel is owned by Reliance.
Similarly, I think they'll do with this JV. BTW the another name coming to my mind is Star TV 18.
Disney's plan is to offload their ownership in Star India eventually. So in future Star will be a Reliance arm like Jio but they may allocate minor shares for companies like Bodhi. Now Reliance joins the venture through network 18. Later these complications will diffuse. 'Disney Star' will become 'Reliance Star' with Disney India, Bodhi as minor stake holders.
Reliance can slowly forget their current media arm 'network 18' as they are going to get a stronger brand.

Last edited:
Reliance can slowly forget their current media arm 'network 18' as they are going to get a stronger brand.
It will be a shame if the empire that Raghav Bahl built sheds its distinctive number name, 18. It was an emotion to see the domestic TV18 brand grow to a national corporate and partner with global giants like CNBC.

JioHotstar is the new name.. dont think you have read news today regarding this.. they have officially announced the new name today

It will be a shame if the empire that Raghav Bahl built sheds its distinctive number name, 18. It was an emotion to see the domestic TV18 brand grow to a national corporate and partner with global giants like CNBC.
No way reliance will give up network18, they need news company on their side
Reliance can retain network 18 as its news & allied media wing.

Back
Top Bottom