SCV digital added 6 new tamil channels

RE: SCV digital added 5 new tamil channels

Satvijay said:
chennai has three different types of TV viewers, one is those who watch whatever their LCO gives, they are happy as long as SUN tv is available (whether its grainy or clear they dont care) and not ready to spend anything extra on STB or anyother. Others are those who watch what they wanted,and they are ready to pay anything for the channels they want( mostly diehard sports fans). The last is the elite viewers who pay a premium for quality service ( eg. tata sky customers with HD connection). The list of customers who are not ready to pay for STB are like the mobile users who use keypad phones in the age of smart phones. This is just my opnion you can agree or disagree

Yes, i think its mostly who are the decision makers at home.

If its just Tamil senior citizens then they just need a few tamil channels and some religious channels and they are fine with that and kids are mostly at college or at work (its me, i just watch ten sports or eng & tamil news, sometimes eng movies at night and rarely tamil songs during mornings hrs otherwise nothing much) who don't care about cable.

If its college kids and other die hard fans of sports would do anything to pay for STB and get access. I think most of Chennai's STB users belong to this list. Most DTH users too would be here too as its mostly sports for them.

And being a long time Blackberry user (cant imagine without), i belong to that keypad group. ;)

HOUSE-MD said:
Sounds excellent, i would love to have such a pack but i ws too late....

I think you are on the top pack called SCV Diamond pack which costs Rs 230/- pm + Rs 35 Tax + 5 Round-off = Rs 270. So mostly they will eventually fill your pack with all Tamil, English & Sports channels that's there with them.

And i see that this is the top pack for Tamil Users and the next higher pack (Rs 315 + Tax) is basically for other regional/non-Tamil users.

Yes, not most people would want all channels unless given for free atleast on the top most pack and this is also the best way to lure people to select such packs else most would settle with just base packs plus a-la-carte list of selected channels (Eg. for me all other non-tamil Indian language channels are no use).
All those packs are for name sake. I am in Tamil pack with p3. Can get all the channels for 250. Except the new tamil channels. If you can add p3 pack you can get all channels. Some areas they are even charging only 200 rs.

HOUSE-MD said:

If its just Tamil senior citizens then they just need a few tamil channels and some religious channels and they are fine with that and kids are mostly at college or at work (its me, i just watch ten sports or eng & tamil news, sometimes eng movies at night and rarely tamil songs during mornings hrs otherwise nothing much) who don't care about cable.

If its college kids and other die hard fans of sports would do anything to pay for STB and get access. I think most of Chennai's STB users belong to this list. Most DTH users too would be here too as its mostly sports for them.

And being a long time Blackberry user (cant imagine without), i belong to that keypad group. ;)

We can even do a PH.D research with this topic. You have started the research.

HOUSE-MD said:

You said it right, there are few who belong to this group. The reason behind this is cause we are used to paying Rs100 for a very long time, i would say more than 10yrs if i remember correctly to cablewala and many changes happened for the past 8yrs where many channels which are pay earlier were part of the regular analog cable are no longer available in the regular analog package and if you need to watch it you will have to pay more and watch through STB or DTH. if the cable guys would have regularly hiked the price yearly we would not have been in this mindset. There is no point in comparing the offerings available in the outskirts of chennai LCO to that of the main chennai LCO. Its all business. when people get addicted to those they will hike prices anywhere. Currently the same chennai, very poor background people do a recharge Rs250 for 1gb internet for a month. Its all how they  bring the mindset with the people. now jio is trying to change the mindset of the people with unlimited free calls and limited internet for a throwaway price. This will change over time and market will break but i dont think it will not continue for long . Same would be case with any industry.

Satvijay said:
You said it right, there are few who belong to this group. The reason behind this is cause we are used to paying Rs100 for a very long time, i would say more than 10yrs if i remember correctly to cablewala and many changes happened for the past 8yrs where many channels which are pay earlier were part of the regular analog cable are no longer available in the regular analog package and if you need to watch it you will have to pay more and watch through STB or DTH. if the cable guys would have regularly hiked the price yearly we would not have been in this mindset. There is no point in comparing the offerings available in the outskirts of chennai LCO to that of the main chennai LCO. Its all business. when people get addicted to those they will hike prices anywhere. Currently the same chennai, very poor background people do a recharge Rs250 for 1gb internet for a month. Its all how they  bring the mindset with the people. now jio is trying to change the mindset of the people with unlimited free calls and limited internet for a throwaway price. This will change over time and market will break but i dont think it will not continue for long . Same would be case with any industry.

The issue with cable pricing is if the cable operator keeps increasing the price then even the remaining people would easily move to DTH which is already highly competitive and has become a competition like the Mega Mall's (Super/Hyper markets) vs Regular Shops where Malls have almost won (as far as Chennai is concerned).

While i travel via villages, i can see that DTH has deeply entered due to both quality service, affordable pricing and various other factors.

With India emerging as the top player in satellite business, its not too far that JIO style would enter even cable TV business and that would become even harder for LCO's (Already LCO's who once had dish has now lost their business to Mega MSO's) so they seem to keep analogue to ensure regular revenues from the leftover subscribers.

Yes, the market will eventually break but the effects created will be be long lasting and Local Cable Tv would reinvent itself with the best people in Business with new technology.

HOUSE-MD said:
The issue with cable pricing is if the cable operator keeps increasing the price then even the remaining people would easily move to DTH which is already highly competitive and has become a competition like the Mega Mall's (Super/Hyper markets) vs Regular Shops where Malls have almost won (as far as Chennai is concerned).

While i travel via villages, i can see that DTH has deeply entered due to both quality service, affordable pricing and various other factors.

With India emerging as the top player in satellite business, its not too far that JIO style would enter even cable TV business and that would become even harder for LCO's (Already LCO's who once had dish has now lost their business to Mega MSO's) so they seem to keep analogue to ensure regular revenues from the leftover subscribers.

Yes, the market will eventually break but the effects created will be be long lasting and Local Cable Tv would reinvent itself with the best people in Business with new technology.
Yes, let the people move to DTH why should we still stick to old technology? gone are the days when people had landline and now everyone has mobile phones,its similar to landline going down after the advent of mobile phones. Same should be case with cable tv. why are we still with old analog cables? I have travelled extensively world over even the small countries like thailand, indonesia have DTH and digital cable they dont have analog cable there. FYI jio is launching their DTH service soon, lets see how they are going to break dth business. I remember those days with STD shops after that Browsing centers came in, now even browsing centers are not there as everyone has internet on their phones.

To answer to this point"The issue with cable pricing is if the cable operator keeps increasing the price then even the remaining people would easily move to DTH which is already highly competitive and has become a competition like the Mega Mall's (Super/Hyper markets) vs Regular Shops "

since because the cable operator did not steadily increase the price, they have brought down the number of channels and inferior picture quality. I remember watching MTV and all sports channels on analog cable 10yrs ago for 100Rs. all this have gone to digital mode where you have to pay for it. Currently whatever they are giving is just tamil channels and a very very few english or other language channels ( which gets removed and added as they wish). Thats how it will be . Everything which demands quality comes for price. Not the same old price 10yrs ago.

Satvijay said:
Yes, let the people move to DTH why should we still stick to old technology? gone are the days when people had landline and now everyone has  mobile phones,its similar to landline going down after the advent of mobile phones. Same should be case with cable tv. why are we still with old analog cables? I have travelled extensively world over even the small countries like thailand, indonesia have DTH and digital cable they dont have analog cable there. FYI jio is launching their DTH service soon, lets see how they are going to break dth business. I remember those days with STD shops after that Browsing centers came in, now even browsing centers are not there as everyone has internet on their phones.

To answer to this point"The issue with cable pricing is if the cable operator keeps increasing the price then even the remaining people would easily move to DTH which is already highly competitive and has become a competition like the Mega Mall's (Super/Hyper markets) vs Regular Shops "

since because the cable operator did not steadily increase the price, they have brought down the number of channels and inferior picture quality. I remember watching MTV and all sports channels on analog cable 10yrs ago for 100Rs. all this have gone to digital mode where you have to pay for it. Currently whatever they are giving is just tamil channels and a very very few english or other language channels ( which gets removed and added as they wish). Thats how it will be . Everything which demands quality comes for price. Not the same old price 10yrs ago.

"Supply and Demand", Unless there is a supply there would be a demand and the same vice versa... Unless something is forced nothing will stop. When the MSO cant stop Analogue how would people move to DAS? And when MSO still goes analogue and collects a subscription fee (directly or indirectly) then they have to provide quality service as per people requirements.

Though we all have mobile phones land lines still exists, i have atleast 3 of them. No technology can actually be removed from the ground, no-matter what happens analogue via terrestrial would still continue.

Unless this large nation is provided with low cost home made STB and Analogue is forcibly switched off, its too hard for any real change.

Hope Chennai switches off analogue cable tv service and moves DAS soon.

HOUSE-MD said:
"Supply and Demand", Unless there is a supply there would be a demand and the same vice versa... Unless something is forced nothing will stop. When the MSO cant stop Analogue how would people move to DAS? And when MSO still goes analogue and collects a subscription fee (directly or indirectly) then they have to provide quality service as per people requirements.

Though we all have mobile phones land lines still exists, i have atleast 3 of them. No technology can actually be removed from the ground, no-matter what happens analogue via terrestrial would still continue.

Unless this large nation is provided with low cost home made STB and Analogue is forcibly switched off, its too hard for any real change.

Hope Chennai switches off analogue cable tv service and moves DAS soon.

why do you expect something to be done forcefully, who is stopping you from moving to DTH or digital TV. when we have so many other better options available. When DD was the only option available  all people were watching DD, when cabletv came.. most of them switched over,now its the era of digital tv and DTH. People are already switching over. There are few other threads in this same dreamdth where people are asking for starsports and starmovies in freedish, which will never happen. Same would be case with analog tv, its all a dying technology. its like doing yahoo chat when the world is on whatsapp.

""Though we all have mobile phones land lines still exists, i have atleast 3 of them. No technology can actually be removed from the ground, no-matter what happens analogue via terrestrial would still continue. """I really dont know what for you have 3 landlines!! may be you are doing some business. 

Off Topic : This news should be in Digital Cable TV main section I guess!

SCV digital adds travel XP tamil. unfortunately this is available in the new tamil pack.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock