Software update will start from 14th June.

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 47
  • Views: Views 14,390
Krishna Khatri said:
I have one question. I subscribed to multi tv connection last year and got a black color thompson set top box. Current software version is 113 release feb 2013. Will my box be eligible for the software update?

yours seems to be mpeg4. Are you getting channels from hd tp such as star plus HD, sony HD etc. If yes then yours is mpeg4 & eligible for the update.

Krishna Khatri said:
I have one question. I subscribed to multi tv connection last year and got a black color thompson set top box. Current software version is 113 release feb 2013. Will my box be eligible for the software update?

If your box is mpeg4 then you can see star plus HD channel name in your tata sky just after star plus but you cant subscribe to it.

Direct Tv said:
If your box is mpeg4 then you can see star plus HD channel name in your tata sky just after star plus but you cant subscribe to it.

ohhh very well explained i have mpeg4 :D
but what use of it :lol

Re: RE: Software update will start from 14th June.

Krishna Khatri said:
Yes after star plus I see the epg for the hd version. However cc says the thompson box is mpeg2 box.

Check STB if its MPEG-4 then written on back or front side.

Updated software is nothing better than the old one. In fact following are some first level observations compared to the older flat UI:

1. Slower EPG
2. No number navigation in Guide
3. Slower startup
4. Un-necessary glossy interface, doing no good to users, but increasing navigation delays a bit. The UI does not feel snappy enough and any one used to Tata Sky's old and fast interface will need some time to adjust to the slowness.
6. The up and down key now switches programmes in the banner bar, and left right will switch channels. Again something which needs adjustment.
7. Favorites in TataSky were never properly implemented, and now it is same as Airtel, worse. Airtel actually had an excellent implementation earlier but it screwed the same with a similar update last year.

NOTE: This firmware builds on the same version which Airtel circulated last year. The same problems are seen - slow startup, slow EPG, bad favorites, etc. Airtel and Tata Sky have the same middleware provider, hence similar UI issues.

However, the channel change (i.e. time from when you select a program in the EPG and the time it takes for the picture to appear) is more or less same as earlier. May be with MPEG2 its fast, need to see how is this affected in case of MPEG4 channels in the future.

VERDICT: Consider yourself lucky to be on old software (Thomson grey box). The new software is only for the glitz lover and does not any value beyond glitz.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock