Breaking Sony is in talks to buy a stake in Network18

• Thread starter GJ mit
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 635
  • Views: Views 101,662
Being familiar with media industry myself . Know how important this deal is. And also it not even 1 year the deal is in news. Also to remind once this deal will be based on mutual understanding and not any money deal.
That mutual understanding is wasting time for all of us. I never said this deal will not happen. I said that we should stop discussing it further until we get a official statement from VIACOM18 & SONY PICTURES NETWORK.

That mutual understanding is wasting time for all of us. I never said this deal will not happen. I said that we should stop discussing it further until we get a official statement from VIACOM18 & SONY PICTURES NETWORK.
no bro i just said zee and sony deal wasnt hoax

Sony and network18 deal was almost finaly. But mukesh ji say big plans of expansion in media with jio brand. So he disagrees for potential merger. But he has shown interest in future acquisition of some small networks to expand regional presence.

Jio will head entertainment and digital business of network18 including viacom18 business. And viacomCBS will share it's new up launching digital monster paramount plus with jio .

Finally after a year of waiting for deal which would have made entry of 3rd strong competitor against star and see is finally called off.

This is the 2nd time Sony has failed in negotiating the deal. People familiar with jio says ambani interested in traditional content creator Zee entertainment

Sony and network18 deal was almost finaly. But mukesh ji say big plans of expansion in media with jio brand. So he disagrees for potential merger. But he has shown interest in future acquisition of some small networks to expand regional presence.

Jio will head entertainment and digital business of network18 including viacom18 business. And viacomCBS will share it's new up launching digital monster paramount plus with jio .

Finally after a year of waiting for deal which would have made entry of 3rd strong competitor against star and see is finally called off.

This is the 2nd time Sony has failed in negotiating the deal. People familiar with jio says ambani interested in traditional content creator Zee entertainment
Please mention the source for this.

Sad development. All of us have been proved wrong in the end. Ambani's desire to maintain a controlling stake has led to the deal being called off once and for all.

It will be much tougher for Sony now as so many channels were shut down in anticipation of the merger, but there is no more merger, and SPN has a very weak portfolio in comparison.

Sad development. All of us have been proved wrong in the end. Ambani's desire to maintain a controlling stake has led to the deal being called off once and for all.

It will be much tougher for Sony now as so many channels were shut down in anticipation of the merger, but there is no more merger, and SPN has a very weak portfolio in comparison.
It's even difficult for viacom18 with already struggling regional channels.

It is always my anticipation, not that I don't want the merger to happen but due to the situation of Reliance. They are getting plenty of investments into Retail and JIO platforms and no need for liquidating entertainment businesses further. And normally these deals materialise in matter of months and go for approvals(In this case CCI). They didn't even have formal announcement regd the same.

If Viacom18 is going to merger with SPNI, Reliance will be left with Network18 (As the merged entity cannt own news channels because of controlling ownership of foreign companies, Same reason Star left the news business). And Jio needs content push from somewhere for it's prepaid consumers. Without a proper network behind they cannt do that properly.

VIACOMCBS on the other hand needs to have their proper presence for launching Paramount+ Content onto Voot like Hybrid of what Disney did with Hotstar(It's my assumption as already ShowTime signed exclusive deal with Voot) .

Ambani wants merger/acquisition with ZEE for regional markets as ZEE promoters share reduced to 5% now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock