Breaking Sony officially announces termination of Zee merger

• Thread starter Aksgr
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 188
  • Views: Views 33,598

Aksgr

Reaction score
Bloomberg reported few minutes ago that sony has sent zee official termination letter.
10Billion $ deal is now officially terminated.

Thank God! Looks like they also watched 3 Id!iots yesterday. Sadly, Zee is 100 millions dollar richer.

@iDJ @Aksgr @Ashok Varma can you explain some of the benefits of Sony not merging with Zee? I understand that Goenka’s arrogance and ego has led to his downfall and stopped the merger once and for all. But as two separate broadcasters, how can they compete with Reliance and Disney, which together will be too powerful for anyone else to survive?

@dino29 bhai waiting for your comments too.

Similarly I expect the Jalan Kalrock Consortium’s revival attempt for Jet Airways to collapse in the same way, as that has also been dragging on endlessly without any confidence.

Last edited:
@iDJ @Aksgr @Ashok Varma can you explain some of the benefits of Sony not merging with Zee? I understand that Goenka’s arrogance and ego has led to his downfall and stopped the merger once and for all. But as two separate broadcasters, how can they compete with Reliance and Disney, which together will be too powerful for anyone else to survive?

Similarly I expect the Jalan Kalrock Consortium’s revival attempt for Jet Airways to collapse in the same way, as that has also been dragging on endlessly without any confidence.
You can see it in two ways. Definitely zee sony merger is a big loss for all. But so much delays sony had to answer to Tokyo exchange on delays.

Now coming to your point, how can they survive against disney RIL ( if finalized )

1. Ample opportunity for sony to tie up with small networks or even buyout networks from the disney RIL deal.
2. Sony need not compete with greater intrest of Jio hotstar instead work similar to parent company as being the content powerhouse.

Coming to zee after the loss of sony deal, a shareholder meeting will be called to decide on board of zee. The decision there will decide their fate.

If in case disney RIL tie up dont expect sun to merge with any other companies. Definite that etv and raj will be attractive

SEBI can answer this better. Why Zee and it's promoters are red flags? 🙂 Sony can still survive. Like they been doing over the years if they invest properly. If they go haywire like Disney Viacom on movies and sports. They will fail as well. With merger not having. They need to expand in movies and regional space. Also in future tie-up with small regional broadcasters.

Share market is closed today otherwise Zee's stock would have fallen very badly. Now Zee has time to save its share.

Share market is closed today otherwise Zee's stock would have fallen very badly. Now Zee has time to save its share.
There wont be much of a fall, as it already started to fall from friday. Max to max it will reach 215- 210

Avoided unnecessary layoffs.

Sony need not compete with Disney or Viacom18. They've been doing so well with minimal sports rights and their content pipeline (Talking about SonyLIV and not their linear channel) is good.

Hope Zee finds a suitable partner or they'll disappear into the ether.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock