Sony to make “aggressive” bid to retain IPL rights

• Thread starter Thread starter Adithya Vikram
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 17
  • Views Views: Views 2,690
Reaction score
Sony Pictures Networks, which launched the biggest cricket franchise in India, the Indian Premier League (IPL) in 2008, is said to be fighting hard to retain the rights of the tournament.

The ten-year rights, which come to an end next year, will be up for tender again later this year for a five-year period. However, Sony Pictures Networks is prepared for the onslaught.

CEO of Sony Pictures Network, NP Singh told BestMediaInfo, “Sony’s association in IPL started off in late 2007-early 2008 when BCCI (Cricket Control Board) came to us with the idea. At the time, when there were not many believers in the concept, we believed in it and we invested in it and have nurtured it and played an active role in helping IPL get the iconic status that it has today. We at Sony are committed to IPL and we will make an aggressive bid to retain our rights for the tournament. I feel very confident that we will retain the event for another long time.”

Asked if ESPN’s partnership with Sony would help it retain the rights, Singh said, “I wouldn’t want to comment on it, in that sense. But Sony as a broadcaster and as a company has very strong credentials. Therefore, it doesn’t really need support to make an aggressive support.”

Source:-

Sony to make “aggressive” bid to retain IPL rights | BizAsia Media | The UK's only Asian media news site

IPL is a biggest cricket property,it has hit so many controversies still is the best cricket league in the world,and I think with the backing of ESPN this time they will easily be able to retain the rights,and I personally want IPL to be continued on Sony Network rather than Star :k

kumarvishwas said:
IPL is a biggest cricket property,it has hit so many controversies still is the best cricket league in the world,and I think with the backing of ESPN this time they will easily be able to retain the rights,and I personally want IPL to be continued on Sony Network rather than Star :k

Agree

Only 2 Networks will Bid for the rights

Would be great if all 4 Networks bid for the rights
Unfortunately that's not going to happen as
Neo does not have enough funds &
Ten has a panga with BCCI

ABCDEFGH said:
Star is also very much interested in the rights.
Let's see who gets it

If star network is interested in it then higher chances are towards Star Network.

It should be Sony,Star has a lot of cricket,so not required more on that channel,they do not show anything other than cricket,Star Sports 4 which is a channel dedicated to Football,nowdays keep on showing Irani Cup,they are the worst Sports broadcaster in content and quality both
Sony is far more better(even ten is better than Star) covering many Sports genres with less no of channels including wrestling,football,cricket,boxing,Nba etc,I really hope ESPN funds them and Star doesn't even get close in Bidding

Back
Top Bottom