Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,480
  • Views: Views 1,468,470

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Why don't they go for established brand like Colors? Colors Sports gives boost to the flagship brand. NBC Sports is too niche for India. Names like MTV Sports and Nick Sports are just unrealistic. Sports18 will become a problematic brand. If they have multiple channels Sports18 1, Sports18 2 and Sports18 3 will look and sound odd.
Yes your right bro.
Sports 18 won't be channel name it will be network name of sport wing of RIL it will hold viacom18 sports channel , jio and sports 18 news portal.

Currently the names in BID are
NBC , MTV , Colors
NBC sports was denied in meeting as almost all disagreed. It's almost finalized colors would be the name. Just waiting for them to apply for trademark.

Is there any hope of Star sports changing the way they schedule shows? These days, it is 24 hours cricket. Not even those 30 minutes ISL highlights. I don't understand why they have named themselves as Star Sports anymore. They should rename to Star Cricket. What a annoying channels! Even after sending feedback through mail/Twitter, they don't act! This is pathetic.

the universal rule will hold 80% of the time: CSK can’t defeat MI. As an ex-CSK fan I feel bitter sometimes.
I know this is not the IPL thread but I don’t even want to touch the one in OTF. I am being proved right again today as CSK once again chokes in front of Boult, Pollard and Co. And Star Sports will continue to spam my Twitter feed because IPL is trending.

Anyway the IPL is a living proof of what is wrong with Star Sports right now. Showing live matches in all possible languages is correct. But showing highlights of years-old IPL matches on almost all the channels is not acceptable at all. Hopefully Viacom18 will be able to get the rights next year, but if it returns to Sony it will be the best; the days of Extraaa Innings T20 were the golden days of IPL.

Last edited:
For a change. I saw One Championship Empower air around 7 pm on Star Sports First today. Premier League is also constantly airing on Star Sports 3. But they need to convert the channel from 4:3 to 16:9.

Only if they use Star Sports 2 properly. If you don't wanna give airtime to Premier League and Formula 1. Atleast give regional audio on Star Sports 2. Everyone with basic Star pack has Star Sports 2. That way we can have IPL in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada in HD on Star Sports 2 HD. Their current strategy is not good.

I know this is not the IPL thread but I don’t even want to touch the one in OTF. I am being proved right again today as CSK once again chokes in front of Pollard. And Star Sports will continue to spam my Twitter feed because IPL is trending.
Hindi commentary is hilarious. The commentators makes such a big deal when Dhoni is about to come. Sometime they even skip ads. Than he comes and bombs with 3 runs sucking the air out of the room.

Worst Quality Channel
That's why they should've aired on HD on Star Sports 2 HD. It has a Tamil audio feed which goes unused. They are just mirroring Star Sports 1 HD today. Tomorrow they are airing old PKL and ISL highlights along with IPL highlights. Could've aired IPL with regional audios. Channel cost ₹19 for crying out loud.

NBC has some quality graphics and coverage in the US. Although I'm not sure how much they will be able to replicate in India. AFIK, NBC are the only network that use their own graphics & commentary for Premier League coverage besides BT & Sky. All other networks elsewhere only use the stock Premier League Coverage.
So I hope they name their network to NBC Sports although I believe that it's highly unlikely as pointed out by some respected members here.

Why don't they go for established brand like Colors? Colors Sports gives boost to the flagship brand. NBC Sports is too niche for India. Names like MTV Sports and Nick Sports are just unrealistic. Sports18 will become a problematic brand. If they have multiple channels Sports18 1, Sports18 2 and Sports18 3 will look and sound odd.
Like Sony Ten 1, Ten 2 Etc..

NFL live on hotstar
Steelers vs raiders
6CytBbx.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock