Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,449
  • Views Views: Views 1,673,645

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
IPL should clarify some points before going for bidding process, which would impact the bid.
1. No: of matches per team - 14 or 18 - Direct impact on bidding price and tournament duration.
2. Start time of matches - 8pm or 7:30pm (Star prefers 7:30)
3. Weekend double-headers - Again star like simultaneous matches at 7:30 or 8pm than 4pm first match.
2. Start time should be moved to 7 pm. IPL is a family friendly event. Kids have school next day. 11:15 pm ending is not ideal for them.
3. Simultaneous double header is also a good idea. Double the subscription revenue. On top of that 2 back to back matches are exhausting to watch. It takes away too much time off weekends away.

2. Start time should be moved to 7 pm. IPL is a family friendly event. Kids have school next day. 11:15 pm ending is not ideal for them.
3. Simultaneous double header is also a good idea. Double the subscription revenue. On top of that 2 back to back matches are exhausting to watch. It takes away too much time off weekends away.
Star India wanted this from the start of 2018 Season itself.. But were voted out by Mumbai Indians, RCB and someother team from North saying that if they start @7pm they won't get revenue from the ground ticket sales which is a rediculous proposition... Next season they could have triple headers as well if they wanted to continue with the current format let's see what BCCI does...

Even that concurrent double header was suggested by Star Sports and Disney as they wanted to test themselves if they can do it properly or not as they are ones producing IPL.

Last edited:
FIFA rights should go to Sony. I don't want any football rights with Star. They are always arrogant and never show highlight of football. Also i am quite happy with Sony for how they handled Euro 2020. They should get FIFA rights. So that we can see full match highlights.
How different would've Star handled Euro 2020? Sony directly aired what UEFA produced. There is no custom graphics or anything. Instead we got a horrible pre-show. This is where Star excels. When it came to Premier League. They bought rights of everything. They didn't skip pre-mid-post-shows.

Last edited:
How different would've Star handled Euro 2020? Sony directly aired what UEFA produced. There is no custom graphics or anything. Instead we got a horrible pre-show. This is where Star excels. When it came to Premier League. They bought rights of everything. They didn't skip pre-mid-post-shows.
Yeah. Like having great graphics is everything. We don't need full highlight next day!. By the way i am seeing these pre/post shows of Star in ISL every season.
/ If it went above your head, what i want to say is Star have the rights for most watched football event of the country(ISL). Still they don't do Pre/post show for it. Not even HT shows. No highlights next day either. Star does not offer anything above what Sony offers us. Rather I will say that Sony is trying to improve while Star is neglecting football. Let them stick to cricket. These 7 regional languages offer little value for majority of football fans!

6WvJAk8.jpg

Yeah. Like having great graphics is everything. We don't need full highlight next day!. By the way i am seeing these pre/post shows of Star in ISL every season.
/ If it went above your head, what i want to say is Star have the rights for most watched football event of the country(ISL). Still they don't do Pre/post show for it. Not even HT shows. No highlights next day either. Star does not offer anything above what Sony offers us. Rather I will say that Sony is trying to improve while Star is neglecting football. Let them stick to cricket. These 7 regional languages offer little value for majority of football fans!
FIFA and ISL are two different properties. FIFA is watched by masses even non casual fans watches these matches. There is no way they would go for the rights and not air proper highlights. It will be even covered by press. When big tournaments like FIFA World Cup happens. Most other sporting events are on pause. Meanwhile only few watches local homegrown leagues like ISL. When was the last time you saw anything about ISL on news?

If it went above your head, what i want to say is Star have the rights for most watched football event of the country(ISL). Still they don't do Pre/post show for it. Not even HT shows.
What are you talking about buddy, they do Football United Live for every game... They even roped up some of the bigger presteners from UK for the show..

And on just today's schedule they have ISL and PL highlights on SS Select channels and SS First.. and even on SS3 when there isn't thing live going on.

What are you talking about buddy, they do Football United Live for every game... They even roped up some of the bigger presteners from UK for the show..

And on just today's schedule they have ISL and PL highlights on SS Select channels and SS First.. and even on SS3 when there isn't thing live going on.
They don't telecast football United in SS Hindi 1 HD. I used to sub SS Hindi 1 HD because i was sure that they will telecast ISL there. SS 1 and 2 sometime skip ISL to telecast other stuffs. About Higlights, that's not enough. They do telecast Full PL Hls in SSS 1. But not of ISL. They allot only 30-60 minutes a day for ISL. That's useless in 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom