Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,450
  • Views Views: Views 1,673,761

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Interesting that this was not snapped up by Viacom18 as well, considering it has La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, etc.
Well they didn't snap the bigger one itself. Champions League is with Sony. I think they were going for star power in these league. But it backfired with multiple transfers.

Whatever news came from these websites, viewers not concern on these news and Star made Huge money from these advertisers and they won't Return money to these advertisers, also viewers just need entertainment in local languages and Star doing Great job Airing back to back Sports events T20 world cup, ISL and PKL for next 4 months in local languages feeds

This is not some random website. It's Economic Times. Based on the figures shared by some users few days back. Star seem to make little more than 300 crs which doesn't look good in a investment of ₹16,000 crs along with the inflation.

Bhai
1. You are the one who is so addicted to these advertisement revenue numbers. Some months ago you were arguing with us saying Sony is making crores of losses because of airing events like Football. Also you said no one watches those events. All these claims without any data to back it up.
2. I posted that news in this perticular thread because rating drop may affect future media price of IPL. IPL is reaching a saturation point. Not just 1 year, they have been posting stagnant overall growth since last 2 years. All while other properties are posting good growths. Why will someone pay huge Premium when low growth will be there?

Well it is not about whether viewers are concerned about broadcaster revenue or not, if they r then well and good but here important point is the Star Sports must b worried about ratings drop and going forward this is likely to further affect their cautious bidding for IPL Rights. Also we might see change in content strategy of Star Sports, hopefully there will b less of cricket highlights.

Please don't start earlier argument about which broadcaster is good or bad based on what they air, its a complex debate and be it sony sports or star sports they r managing their sports properties well considering what sorts of investment they have put into them. As an informed viewer it helps to understand economics of concerned broadcasters business as they accordingly design content slate be it on TV or OTT, if our suggestions r difficult to implement then broadcaster does not become bad bcoz of it

Well it is not about whether viewers are concerned about broadcaster revenue or not, if they r then well and good but here important point is the Star Sports must b worried about ratings drop and going forward this is likely to further affect their cautious bidding for IPL Rights. Also we might see change in content strategy of Star Sports, hopefully there will b less of cricket highlights.

Please don't start earlier argument about which broadcaster is good or bad based on what they air, its a complex debate and be it sony sports or star sports they r managing their sports properties well considering what sorts of investment they have put into them. As an informed viewer it helps to understand economics of concerned broadcasters business as they accordingly design content slate be it on TV or OTT, if our suggestions r difficult to implement then broadcaster does not become bad bcoz of it
Since you are more informed user. Can you tell us how much profit did Star gained from IPL. As I don't have any idea about this industry. If you could provide numbers it would be appreciated.

Guys, I have an observation.

During last night's match ( eliminator - kkr v dc), only hotstar ads were shown on hotstar. I was watching the match with English audio. Until yesterday's match, I used to get other ads like homelane, fresh to home and many other ads. So what happened suddenly? Is it the same with others? Since we talked about advertisers unhappy with dipped viewership, I cannot help but astonished at what I witnessed last night.

Guys, I have an observation.

During last night's match ( eliminator - kkr v dc), only hotstar ads were shown on hotstar. I was watching the match with English audio. Until yesterday's match, I used to get other ads like homelane, fresh to home and many other ads. So what happened suddenly? Is it the same with others? Since we talked about advertisers unhappy with dipped viewership, I cannot help but astonished at what I witnessed last night.
Hotstar generally concentrates on Connected TV users as they will generate the revenue 3 or 4 times what mobile users will generate... If you watch the same game on Hotstar on Connected TV and On a mobile device you will see the difference...

Also, Hotstar doesn't advertise as Star Sports advertising, advertisers would have brought said number of CPMs for any match, if they are exhausted, Hotstar wouldn't have any ads to play and they would have sticked with Hotstar ads.. It's common for mobile users as most of the people watching are watching on mobile..

What ever the viewership is, if its dipped or no one even saw the match, advertiser has to pay for Star as per the contracts already signed not the other way around... Hotstar had sold 90% of its CPMs even before this leg began as per many reports from mint, ET etc..

BTW, Hotstar has maintained its viewership through out barring afternoon matches and that last double headers.. They average out at 4.5 million concurrent viewers, and may vary depending on matches..

Last edited:
But Dugout feed is almost adfree. Hotsar viewers are regularly around 30-32 lakh.

Back
Top Bottom