Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,449
  • Views Views: Views 1,673,650

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Watch Star Sports Select channels it offers different sports other than cricket all thru the day barring 2 or 3 hours. Also other Star Sports do air non cricket sports too on a regular basis but yes cricket overpowers them on these channels, during overlapping of live content star/disney does use regular Star Sports channels for airing different sporting content.. These channels do air Pro Kabaddi, ISL, FIH Hockey, Premier League, F1, Tennis etc. too
Name the last International event that aired on Star Sports?

They got FIFA, Olympics, NBA, Ligue 1, Serie A and many other rights. They are like former ESPN Star.
True they just need to start 1 more channel and unlike Star should stop the addition of channels in all languages just give language option
Yeah, but they don't air any of those properties properly. They give air time to highlights on ver live events.
True but when it is live they show the live matches on Select channels while showing highlights on normal channels

You think they will even break even in coming years off the rights they pay?
Not immediately but I think they are doing this with long term in mind when they started Jio they gave Sim wnd net free at start like that they are broadcasting World Cup for free will also I think telecast SA20 for free and maybe IPL for 1 or 2 seasons and after 2 years they will start charging for JioCinema or whatever that OTT will be renamed to so that people will be so used to watching IPL on 4K that they wouldnt want to go back to HD in TV and they will pay the subscription charges

Star Sports not so much Select is airing F1 and PL and all. So Start Sports is for the Cricket guys while Select is for Sports people
Having channels than having them highlights when Select channel doesn't have free slots is betrayal to fans. And a dumb business decision.

Having channels than having them highlights when Select channel doesn't have free slots is betrayal to fans. And a dumb business decision.
Its just they have decided like Star Sports will air Cricket unless any very very important event is there while Select will air non Cricket

I dont think there is any large migration from DTH/Cable to DD Free Dish. There are lots of people who have left DTH/Cable for OTT. The main reason people are buying DTH is to watch the pay channels otherwise they would have directly bought DD Free Dish itself however coz of NTO there is lot of migration from DTH to OTT and I think that is a good thing people will buy Smart TC and start subscribing to OTTs which means that ISP have to start giving good internet connections as a start.

Some Part of Upper End of Spectrum of Viewers have shifted to OTT and significant part of this segment have opted for hybrid/smart boxes thus consuming content from both Linear TV and OTT platforms.

Lower Spectrum of Customers have made shift towards DD Free Dish in a big way

Some Part of Upper End of Spectrum of Viewers have shifted to OTT and significant part of this segment have opted for hybrid/smart boxes thus consuming content from both Linear TV and OTT platforms.

Lower Spectrum of Customers have made shift towards DD Free Dish in a big way
More will shift to OTT after NTO 2.0

They have WWE, UFC, Bundesliga and UEFA rights among major events. That's hours of worth of live sporting event everyday which no other broadcaster has.

Buddy we have had long detailed discussions on this topic earlier across various threads. As i have said had Sony been the one having ICC, IPL, BCCI rights then they would have followed same content strategy as star /disney is right now for its sports channels. Infact Star/Disney has been doing a good job of providing various sporting properties on its linear channels despite so much pressure to find ways to recover heavy investment done in getting key cricket rights, as star/disney has many well performing channels across different genres hence it provides cushion to the financial stress created by costly sporting properties, had Sony been the one having IPL, BCCI , ICC rights i believe their scheduling would have featured lot more cricket highlights to recover investment as they have very few other channels which r well performing and can provide help in terms of finances.

Back
Top Bottom