Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11,449
  • Views Views: Views 1,673,650

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Star focus only on india cricket which enable them.to get good profit. Other hand sony fulfills cricket lovers with all other cricket rights, we need one more broadcaster like sony not like star. Sadly sports18 following the path of star

All broadcasters target profit. Sony has not invested big on ICC, BCCI, IPL rights hence is using money to buy diverse sporting rights which cost lot less than key cricket rights. All sports broadcasters want to cater to demands of viewers but have to balance out expenses so that returns r assured .

Remember if Star Sports is buying IPL rights then this is not the only big cost incurred. They have create all the programs, sign in commentators / host & pay them as per agreement and incur vast expenses in producing shows. Just keeping transmission of channel on air too costs quite a lot. It is extremely difficult to come up with a strategy to try and recover all this money being spent, it is not a simple maths.

Easy to criticise any broadcaster but as responsible viewers we need to 1st also understand reasons for them following a particular content strategy.

There r many...they even air niche events like NFL on Star Sports Select. Just keep a track on their schedule buddy
I was talking about International events on regular channels not Select channels.

Name few please. And I am talking about normal channels. Not Select channels.

But why not select channels bro? They r part of Star Sports Network and created with intent to provide viewers various Non Cricket sporting action. Are u unable to subscribe these channels.
Anyways i have already explained that regular Star Sports channels do air different sports but if u r expecting these to focus less on cricket then it is highly unlikely until either price of key cricket rights drastically go down which ain't likely to happen or Star Sports does not have rights for same which again star/disney won't let happen so easily.

Cricket brings ratings and then there is the pressure to recover huge investment hence they have to air cricket highlights to attract audience and push up ratings. It is saddening but true that cricket highlights will bring them more viewership or ad revenue than say airing live telecast of Premier League match but still they r trying to air Premier League on Star Sports Select chs as well as Star Sports 3.

In future we can expect Star Sports 3 to focus more on other sports, Star Sports First to either be removed and be available only on DD Free Dish while ESPN might b launched either as a new channel or maybe Star Sports Select channels will b rebranded as ESPN.

I would also like to tell u that few months back i had shared content strategy related feedback with Star Sports Channel Head, it covered all points and mentioned various steps which can b taken to address needs of all viewers. I am hopeful that they will make some changes soon, already their content strategy has seen few changes in recent past. I had also requested him to make transition to 16:9 aspect ratio for Star Sports Standard Definition channels and gave proper reasoning for the same, as u can see Star Sports team looked into the feedback and implemented these changes soon thereafter.

I always request members to share feedback with channels and their heads as it surely helps in broadcasters evaluating those points and going forward incorporating same in their strategy . Many times it is easier to find their contact details while at various occasions lot of time and energy goes into searching for them. Formulating feedback with proper explanation of points also takes lot of efforts but it is worth it if u really want to see that change

But why not select channels bro? They r part of Star Sports Network and created with intent to provide viewers various Non Cricket sporting action. Are u unable to subscribe these channels.
Anyways i have already explained that regular Star Sports channels do air different sports but if u r expecting these to focus less on cricket then it is highly unlikely until either price of key cricket rights drastically go down which ain't likely to happen or Star Sports does not have rights for same which again star/disney won't let happen so easily.

Cricket brings ratings and then there is the pressure to recover huge investment hence they have to air cricket highlights to attract audience and push up ratings. It is saddening but true that cricket highlights will bring them more viewership or ad revenue than say airing live telecast of Premier League match but still they r trying to air Premier League on Star Sports Select chs as well as Star Sports 3.

In future we can expect Star Sports 3 to focus more on other sports, Star Sports First to either be removed and be available only on DD Free Dish while ESPN might b launched either as a new channel or maybe Star Sports Select channels will b rebranded as ESPN.

I would also like to tell u that few months back i had shared content strategy related feedback with Star Sports Channel Head, it covered all points and mentioned various steps which can b taken to address needs of all viewers. I am hopeful that they will make some changes soon, already their content strategy has seen few changes in recent past. I had also requested him to make transition to 16:9 aspect ratio for Star Sports Standard Definition channels and gave proper reasoning for the same, as u can see Star Sports team looked into the feedback and implemented these changes soon thereafter.

I always request members to share feedback with channels and their heads as it surely helps in broadcasters evaluating those points and going forward incorporating same in their strategy . Many times it is easier to find their contact details while at various occasions lot of time and energy goes into searching for them. Formulating feedback with proper explanation of points also takes lot of efforts but it is worth it if u really want to see that change
Bhai, point is air live content when Select channels doesn't have free slot. You can even sell sports packs like that.

Bhai, point is air live content when Select channels doesn't have free slot. You can even sell sports packs like that.

They do so on a regular basis but also segregation of content for TV and OTT platforms is done again with an aim to properly monetize the said sporting properties for which heavy investment has been incurred. We cannot expect all niche content to b made available on their TV Channels

They do so on a regular basis but also segregation of content for TV and OTT platforms is done again with an aim to properly monetize the said sporting properties for which heavy investment has been incurred. We cannot expect all niche content to b made available on their TV Channels
On regular basis you say. When was the last time you saw such content?

Back
Top Bottom