Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,501
  • Views: Views 1,477,751

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
So many rights up for grabs but hardly any takers. May be its because of over the top investment in properties like IPL, ICC, BCCI. These are times when we are shelling out up to Rs. 19 for each sports channel and there are atleast half a dozen of those. And still we have to be dependent on substandard streaming apps like Fancode for so many sports properties.
I remember a Bouquet of ESPN, Star Sports & Star Cricket used to cost around Rs. 32 and add TEN Sports costing Rs. 10 or something was sufficent for all major sports properties around the world.

So many rights up for grabs but hardly any takers. May be its because of over the top investment in properties like IPL, ICC, BCCI. These are times when we are shelling out up to Rs. 19 for each sports channel and there are atleast half a dozen of those. And still we have to be dependent on substandard streaming apps like Fancode for so many sports properties.
I remember a Bouquet of ESPN, Star Sports & Star Cricket used to cost around Rs. 32 and add TEN Sports costing Rs. 10 or something was sufficent for all major sports properties around the world.
All because of inflated Cricket rights price of BCCI/ICC in India. Channel price is getting costlier while Sports property available is getting less and less.

All because of inflated Cricket rights price of BCCI/ICC in India. Channel price is getting costlier while Sports property available is getting less and less.
Blame TRAI's NTO. For broadcasters more the merrier. But they are in shackles. Thanks to a botched regulations which destroyed tv industry in general.

Blame TRAI's NTO. For broadcasters more the merrier. But they are in shackles. Thanks to a botched regulations which destroyed tv industry in general.
As you said the other day, if Ad revenue is enough for broadcasters to recover cost and even make profit, then there is no need to charge us such amount. Like 21 per channel. People like me who Watch EPL, UCL and Indian cricket match needs to subscribe neatly 5 channel ( SS 1, SSS 1/2, Sony Sports 2/3). That's 100 rupee per month. Even then I can't watch many sports because they don't buy rights for it. Like AFC Champions league matches of top clubs other than India. No one bother to buy them.. sad!

As you said the other day, if Ad revenue is enough for broadcasters to recover cost and even make profit, then there is no need to charge us such amount. Like 21 per channel. People like me who Watch EPL, UCL and Indian cricket match needs to subscribe neatly 5 channel ( SS 1, SSS 1/2, Sony Sports 2/3). That's 100 rupee per month. Even then I can't watch many sports because they don't buy rights for it. Like AFC Champions league matches of top clubs other than India. No one bother to buy them.. sad!
Most are sacrificing these channels to save cost. Even I am cost conscious so I avoid buying channels. Like for example I wanna watch Dexter. For one show I wouldn't spend ₹22.40 for Zee Cafe HD. Smaller events are sacrificed. Thanks to TRAI and it's chairman.

The problem was earlier broadcasters were able to sell all their channels in a bouquets to the Dths and Cable operators which results in having all the broadcaster channels which was creating adequate revenues for them.

Y897z20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock