Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,797
  • Views: Views 1,576,196

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
What's new? They have been doing since there rebrand in 2013. They have resources to bring multiple regional channels but not air multiple matches. Countries which lesser population and money has access to more content than us.

As i have stated regional channels bring them revenue, niche sports is loss making. Also smaller countries with less population or money might b getting more content than us but i am 100% sure they r paying more for channels....current pricing of channels specially in sports genre cannot support niche sports unless there is massive viewership rise for these. You can keep sending them feedback but they will chose 1 way out of 3 ways i mentioned in earlier post..sports rights is most risky bet and channels take decision weighing pros and cons. One thing i can assure u that under Disney various sports will get more space on star sports network.. Just wait little more

Don't expect Cricket events on struggling Football Channels:blush2:
Struggling channel got fresh content every week of the year despite COVID pandemic and lockdown. Unlike one trick pony they don't overpay for rights and bleed their parent company. Their viewership has increased over the years for investing in various sports. Olympics next month will be a game changer.
As i have stated regional channels bring them revenue, niche sports is loss making. Also smaller countries with less population or money might b getting more content than us but i am 100% sure they r paying more for channels....current pricing of channels specially in sports genre cannot support niche sports unless there is massive viewership rise for these. You can keep sending them feedback but they will chose 1 way out of 3 ways i mentioned in earlier post..sports rights is most risky bet and channels take decision weighing pros and cons. One thing i can assure u that under Disney various sports will get more space on star sports network.. Just wait little more
As you said before uplinking and downlinking increases cost. Why not use the regional movie channels for sporting event? That way you can have both have regional ads and save cost.

I expected Disney to change Star Network for good. Seeing sports like NFL coming next year was good sign of hope. Than again they went for the license for Star Sports 1 Tamil HD proving every theory wrong.

Struggling channel got fresh content every week of the year despite COVID pandemic and lockdown. Unlike one trick pony they don't overpay for rights and bleed their parent company.
I hope you know how much Sony was willing to pay for IPL and BCCI contracts last time. If you don't remember let me brush up your memory.

IPL Rights:
Just for Indian TV rights Sony were ready to pay INR 11,050 crores for 5 years. To put things in perspective more FB quoted INR 3900 for Indian Digital rights. To sum up Indian rights were valued at INR 15000 crores by highest Individual bidders. And Star's bid was INR 16,347.5 crores merely INR 500 crores with all the individual bids combined.
cYSRF3y.png

BCCI Rights:
SPN’s final bid of Rs 6,118.59 crore fell short by Rs 19.51crore.

Reliance Jio: Star India beats Jio to bag BCCI's media rights for Rs 6,138.10 crores

Simply don't something just because u can say buddy. Don't ever say Star overpayed for everything because they can, go and see how auction process played through out and give your opinion.

Finally, SPN was willing to pay 11k crores for Indian TV rights, how its not overpaying then?.. Also, Star bid was so logical they didn't want just a piece of it but the whole thing. They choose to loose everything rather than having some piece of it. And by they merely beat the other bids with just 3% margin using the global bid.

I hope you know how much Sony was willing to pay for IPL and BCCI contracts last time. If you don't remember let me brush up your memory.

IPL Rights:
Just for Indian TV rights Sony were ready to pay INR 11,050 crores for 5 years. To put things in perspective more FB quoted INR 3900 for Indian Digital rights. To sum up Indian rights were valued at INR 15000 crores by highest Individual bidders. And Star's bid was INR 16,347.5 crores merely INR 500 crores with all the individual bids combined.
cYSRF3y.png

BCCI Rights:
SPN’s final bid of Rs 6,118.59 crore fell short by Rs 19.51crore.

Reliance Jio: Star India beats Jio to bag BCCI's media rights for Rs 6,138.10 crores

Simply don't something just because u can say buddy. Don't ever say Star overpayed for everything because they can, go and see how auction process played through out and give your opinion.

Finally, SPN was willing to pay 11k crores for Indian TV rights, how its not overpaying then?.. Also, Star bid was so logical they didn't want just a piece of it but the whole thing. They choose to loose everything rather than having some piece of it. And by they merely beat the other bids with just 3% margin using the global bid.
I never said anything about IPL. Just like everyone I was shocked to see Sony being able to outbid Star and got the rights to whole world. I was speaking how Star overpaid for cricket rights as a whole. Just look at the monopoly one broadcasters have over Indian cricket. They got rights to BCCI, ICC and IPL. How much money did they make of last ICC events?

I never said anything about IPL. Just like everyone I was shocked to see Sony being able to outbid Star and got the rights to whole world. I was speaking how Star overpaid for cricket rights as a whole. Just look at the monopoly one broadcasters have over Indian cricket. They got rights to BCCI, ICC and IPL. How much money did they make of last ICC events?
See they are able to get rights for those events the right way., they had gone to auctions and paid a sensible amount to get those rights. How's that being overpaid buddy.

And FYI, ICC rights were shared between Star India and Star Middle East and they are going to sell the rights to other major broadcasters around the world if they want to. Also, for your question ICC WC 2019, was expected to have 1800 crores of ad-revenue in India. However, because of washed out matches they had lost around 400 Crores in that event which are basically covered by Insurances.

See they are able to get rights for those events the right way., they had gone to auctions and paid a sensible amount to get those rights. How's that being overpaid buddy.

And FYI, ICC rights were shared between Star India and Star Middle East and they are going to sell the rights to other major broadcasters around the world if they want to. Also, for your question ICC WC 2019, was expected to have 1800 crores of ad-revenue in India. However, because of washed out matches they had lost around 400 Crores in that event which are basically covered by Insurances.
Alright, you got the overpaying part wrong. Since Star actually afforded to outbid everyone. Hence, accusing them. Would've done same with Sony. All existing broadcasters bidding are responsible. The price of cricket rights is not normal.

And tell me if I am wrong. They lost money during 2015 World Cup too.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock