Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,785
  • Views: Views 1,572,417

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
I am wondering what kind of sponsors are attracted to highlights over live sporting events. And how much they make money off these highlights? Most of the ads in these channels are of it's own shows and upcoming events. Even if at heart of these channels was celebration of sports. What's stopping you from airing documentaries and classic matches of FIFA and UEFA? Why same old matches and compilations has to air throughout the year?

EuroSport is trying this. Has it yielded success. Remember Trace Sport Stars, it aired documentaries and sports shows... All led to failure in India. I do not blame broadcasters entirely. Either one can invest in non cricket sports or big cricket rights....balancing both is financially difficult. Star/disney still has 2 chs dedicated to niche sports...next yr if they do not get IPL then major overhaul will happen

As per that deal. Can Premiere League matches which doesn't makes to Star Sports channel end up on other broadcasters like Sony or Discovery?

in next 2 yrs all these will become digital exclusive barring important matches. Or if TV is to b the destination then people should pay more for such channels. Last option is to take rights of 1 or 2 big cricket properties, earn revenue and balance out finance with having other niche sports. It is tough buddy, we can just taunt broadcasters but it is tight rope for them. I feel under star/disney star sports will let go off either ICC, IPL or BCCI rights

in next 2 yrs all these will become digital exclusive barring important matches. Or if TV is to b the destination then people should pay more for such channels. Last option is to take rights of 1 or 2 big cricket properties, earn revenue and balance out finance with having other niche sports. It is tough buddy, we can just taunt broadcasters but it is tight rope for them. I feel under star/disney star sports will let go off either ICC, IPL or BCCI rights
What's new? They have been doing since there rebrand in 2013. They have resources to bring multiple regional channels but not air multiple matches. Countries which lesser population and money has access to more content than us.

Still there's huge audience which watches Tennis on TV, Most recent example of French Open. Imo Star should try out Wimbledon in Hindi atleast for selected big matches
The tournament also garnered 0.47 billion viewing minutes which is the highest across Grand Slams on the Star Sports network since 2018.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock