Sports Channels in India (Current & Upcoming) - Broadcast Rights, General Discussion, News & Updates

• Thread starter Zaxotes
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10,785
  • Views: Views 1,572,532

Should Sports Networks have Regional Channels?

• Total voters
Is there any update on ATP & WTA Broadcast rights? ATP-250 is on Eurosport, but what about bigger tournaments?

Is there any update on ATP & WTA Broadcast rights? ATP-250 is on Eurosport, but what about bigger tournaments?
Sadly tennis tournaments future not looking gud in india.in india 80%tennis fans mostly watch only grandslams and tht too only big 4 and serena matches but beside Djokovic all biggies not playing regularly.so broadcaster's have to put effort otherwise no hope

Number of channels available 14. Highlights of yesteryears airing on 12 channels. Meanwhile 16 matches were going on live. They are only airing one match in 4 channels.
Source

I don't like Star's strategy either here with covering the matches. But in the last two days, here's what I have experienced WITH Wimbledon matches on Hotstar., potentially there are only around 1 Lakh users watching these matches. Even that was for French Open finals, which was an excellent encounter.

Take yesterday's Federer V Mannarino's fixture or that of Djokovic V Draper other major fixtures none of them drove more than 35k impressions. Only if the viewership increases, broadcasters will be happy to show them.

Even lets take ESPN in the US for example, they are only covering Center court matches on TV and had restricted most of the fixtures to Espn+. This is where Tennis has more following and Viewership than here. If Hotstar has to stream 600 matches in 10 days with negligable viewership how much loss they had to endure. However, I feel some of the other court matches atleast featuring seeded players should be shown on TV.

I don't like Star's strategy either here with covering the matches. But in the last two days, here's what I have experienced WITH Wimbledon matches on Hotstar., potentially there are only around 1 Lakh users watching these matches. Even that was for French Open finals, which was an excellent encounter.

Take yesterday's Federer V Mannarino's fixture or that of Djokovic V Draper other major fixtures none of them drove more than 35k impressions. Only if the viewership increases, broadcasters will be happy to show them.

Even lets take ESPN in the US for example, they are only covering Center court matches on TV and had restricted most of the fixtures to Espn+. This is where Tennis has more following and Viewership than here. If Hotstar has to stream 600 matches in 10 days with negligable viewership how much loss they had to endure. However, I feel some of the other court matches atleast featuring seeded players should be shown on TV.
When you buy rights. Your priority should be airing it. If you don't want to air all feed. Keep the main matches to yourself. Rent out the other feeds to other OTTs and channels. So that the viewers who actually cares about the sport doesn't miss it. They do same thing about it during Premiere League. All matches there atleast makes to Hotstar.

Bro correct me If I am wrong. The rights are not on per matches basis for the broadcaster. Its the whole tournament like Euro Wimbledon etc so it should be the prerogative of the broadcasters to show the matches on various channels they have. In that case if they don't have something other important sport live on other channels they can surely broadcast most of the matches on their channels only choice is with broadcaster and not the viewer. If I am not wrong UK Sky sports had that choice to the viewer to select the match they want. The other thing regarding the viewership has already now with the broadcasters taking only that sports rights into consideration where they have some revenues made from the event.

I am wondering what kind of sponsors are attracted to highlights over live sporting events. And how much they make money off these highlights? Most of the ads in these channels are of it's own shows and upcoming events. Even if at heart of these channels was celebration of sports. What's stopping you from airing documentaries and classic matches of FIFA and UEFA? Why same old matches and compilations has to air throughout the year?

They do same thing about it during Premiere League. All matches there atleast makes to Hotstar.
Actually, Star had a deal in that way only. There is almost 100 matches difference between what Star Sports Select gets and what Hotstar gets. It's even mentioned in the press release by Star and PL as well.
Bro correct me If I am wrong. The rights are not on per matches basis for the broadcaster. Its the whole tournament like Euro Wimbledon etc so it should be the prerogative of the broadcasters to show the matches on various channels they have. In that case if they don't have something other important sport live on other channels they can surely broadcast most of the matches on their channels only choice is with broadcaster and not the viewer. If I am not wrong UK Sky sports had that choice to the viewer to select the match they want. The other thing regarding the viewership has already now with the broadcasters taking only that sports rights into consideration where they have some revenues made from the event.
Yes. The rights are per event. Yes you are right in that broadcaster only broadcasts the sports which generates revenues. That's exactly what Star is doing. They are airing the matches which gets enough eyeballs and ad-revenue from the broadcast.

These rights r costly and revenue is very tiny. If any broadcaster wants to air more matches then there r more costs involving charges paid per hr to government for live downlinking and investment going into downlinking signals. Also i may be wrong but there must b some clause in agreement providing rights at less price if select matches r to b aired on tv, star/disney must have pushed for digital rights of major matches and signed accordingly. Unfortunately cricket highlights get more money and viewers rather live niche events. Best option is to bring Star Sports Select service channel feed which Tata Sky had earlier and save money wherever possible

Actually, Star had a deal in that way only. There is almost 100 matches difference between what Star Sports Select gets and what Hotstar gets. It's even mentioned in the press release by Star and PL as well.
As per that deal. Can Premiere League matches which doesn't makes to Star Sports channel end up on other broadcasters like Sony or Discovery?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock