Star India reports Rs 1,216 crore loss in FY19

Star is the most stupidest sports network in india. Few years back Star launched SS Select 1&2 as PREMIUM sports channel for telecasting international sports event (EPL, Bundesliga,F1, Wimbledon etc). And now few days back they are showing India vs Bangladesh T20 match over EPL.

Star sports schedule for Team India matchdays be like:--
SS1- Cricket English
SS1 Hindi- cricket hindi
SS3- Cricket
SS Select 1- cricket
SS Bangla- cricket bengali
SS Tamil- cricket Tamil
SS Malyalam- cricket malyam
SS Telegu- cricket

Go to hell star 😠😠😠

one day star will surely think that- higher price is not suitable always in business, and they should make bouquets price comfortable for middle class people, like Sony did.
[e.g.-When Onion price was Rs 20-30, people was taking 1kg, but when Onion price is Rs 100 per kg- people is now taking only 1-2-3 pcs (max 50-100 gram)]

one day star will surely think that- higher price is not suitable always in business, and they should make bouquets price comfortable for middle class people, like Sony did.
[e.g.-When Onion price was Rs 20-30, people was taking 1kg, but when Onion price is Rs 100 per kg- people is now taking only 1-2-3 pcs (max 50-100 gram)]
Seperate the sports business with entertainment business. Everybody is happy. They also need to acquire sports that airs every week. I recommend wrestling, NBA etc. No point of acquiring only cricket which airs temporary basis.

I dont have any sympathy for star.. what is purpose of filling pockets of bcci and billionaire indian cricketers ?? I ll be happy if they spend more money on buying movie rights, producing good quality serials...ipl ll run in big profits even if it's tv rights are sold at half of prices which star currently offering them....star is filling pockets of bcci and then bcci ll further waste money by increasing salaries of cricketers etc

Losses are only because of sports not because of subscription higher prices.....everyone in star india knows star india will make losses from ipl in initial 2 yrs and after 2yrs they will make big profits & they will recover earlier losses also ....ipl is long term investment this is what i read from one article which was published 2yrs ago when they aquired ipl rights
P.s. i clearly dont remember article date nd publisher else i would have posted link also bcz at that time there were so many similiar article's

Losses are only because of sports not because of subscription higher prices.....everyone in star india knows star india will make losses from ipl in initial 2 yrs and after 2yrs they will make big profits & they will recover earlier losses also ....ipl is long term investment this is what i read from one article which was published 2yrs ago when they aquired ipl rights
P.s. i clearly dont remember article date nd publisher else i would have posted link also bcz at that time there were so many similiar article's
Nothing like that..its impossible to cover ipl costs...star acquire rights to create Monopoly and to promote newly launched sports channels by using huge popularity of ipl

what is the reason behind loss? Adverstising revenue loss from DDFD exit? or mostly IPL?
Don't know how. But they are getting good amount from subscribers. Their HD pack also costly
Major reason for this massive loss is the huge investment over IPL and BCCI rights. It became a difficult task for them to cover the amount spent for it. And I think they can't make any profit from the entire IPL seasons. May be their revenue will become an all time highest but can't surpass the expense. Eager to see what will Star do during the next IPL auction.

Nothing like that..its impossible to cover ipl costs...star acquire rights to create Monopoly and to promote newly launched sports channels by using huge popularity of ipl
Bro its long term investment....we will see after 5yrs how much money they will earn from ipl....nd uday shankar is not stupid to invest in ipl just to create monopoly nd to promote sports channels btw i agree with ur point in #14 they are just filling pockets of bcci and cricketers but i also accept the fact they are def gonna make big money out of ipl.....if this rights were aquired just for promotion of sports channel and monopoly then disney's bob iger wouldnt have said that star is crown jewel in $71bn deal

Bro its long term investment....we will see after 5yrs how much money they will earn from ipl....nd uday shankar is not stupid to invest in ipl just to create monopoly nd to promote sports channels btw i agree with ur point in #14 they are just filling pockets of bcci and cricketers but i also accept the fact they are def gonna make big money out of ipl.....if this rights were aquired just for promotion of sports channel and monopoly then disney's bob iger wouldnt have said that star is crown jewel in $71bn deal
Using simple mathematics, Star spend 16347.5 crore to buy IPL rights for 5 seasons-3269 crore per year. Adding other expenses of broadcasting, roughly they have to generate more than 4000 crores from a single season. And reports says that IPL revenue of Star India stays below 2500 crores- 1500 crores from target. So they have to generate 4000 crores + losses from previous seasons in upcoming years. Is this possible? May be they can turn it to profit at the end. But it may be a small amount. For a 16000 crores investment,a 10 or 20 crores profit is enough?

What star should do right now,

1. Reduce the price of all Star Sports 1 and Select 1 to Rs 12 so people can take and keep those channel.

2. Star Sports 2, Select 2 Rs 6

3. Star Sports 3 Rs 3 (now 1)

4. Shutdown Star Sports First. 5 sports channel already enough. Most people taking this channel only for highlights.

5. Don't broadcast same program on multiple channel like IPL.

6. Make separate sports bouquet under Rs 30.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock