Discussion Strengths and weaknesses of Viacom18 and its performance

I decided to share my opinion on the performance of Viacom18 channels.

The bad:
  • Colors Hindi is struggling. Earlier Sony was never in the top 10 without KBC, and Sony Sab never at all, but they have both leapfrogged Colors, and it is struggling to stay in the top 10. Its shows are regressive (think Luv Kush). Plus its graphics package is very lacklustre compared to the other three pay networks.
  • Colors Bangla and Colors Odia are disasters. I don't know how Colors Odia manages to survive. Nobody watches it. It is a duopoly between Zee Sarthak and Ortel (Tarang, Alankar, OTV). Similarly, Colors Bangla will gather in the dust. It is going the way of Sun Bangla Rupashi Bangla.
The good:
  • Comedy Central is unquestionably the No. 1 English GEC, whether in SD or HD. Colors Infinity is performing excellently as well. Both their graphics are awesome, unlike Colors Hindi. @DJ Roy is the expert on this.
  • Despite losing the top slot to Zee Kannada, Colors Kannada is a strong No. 2 and refuses to give up fighting. Even Colors Super is doing well.
  • Colors Marathi which was only slightly ahead of Star Pravah earlier has surged ahead. Fakt Marathi which was briefly the No. 1 Marathi channel has fallen behind Zee Marathi and Colors Marathi. Star Pravah is nowhere in comparison and it may soon fall behind Zee Yuva if not Sony Marathi (whose TRP is extremely low).
  • The niche channels such as MTV and Nick are ruling the respective genres.
  • Viacom18 is the ONLY network to have HD music channels, that too three of them (2 Hindi if MTV HD+ is included and 1 English). MTunes (before acquisition by Pen), Sony (Sony Rox HD) and FIC (Nat Geo Music) have all left the HD music market.
Colors Cineplex as well. They are mostly dependent on flop south movies and Dharma movies

Colors Tamil is a moderate success, like Zee Keralam. Zee Keralam has finally managed to find its feet. Sony Marathi is in a worse condition, and Sun Bangla is in the worst shape of all. However, time will tell whether Sun Bangla and Sony Marathi will be able to get more viewers.
Zee Keralam is now ahead of Colors Tamil. They will soon become a consistent presence in Top 5 and acquired the potential to reach #2 in the market. But Colors Tamil is very far away from Sun, Star and Zee. And their rating is very less.
Both Sony Marathi and Colors Tamil entered Top 5 in respective markets quickly compared to Zee Keralam. But the difference is Zee build up their rating slowly but steady so that it will not fall down quickly like other two.

Last edited:
As per the Thread suggests - Here are some take from My Point of View regarding Viacom 18 -

Colors Bangla
When Viacom 18 had not undertaken the Ennadu Television We the Bengali's have privilege to watch ETV Bangla (presently Colors Bangla) which really provides so many Good & Original Shows that till date We cherish that Memories. Even on Sundays ETV Bangla used to telecast Very Special Stories relating to Mystery / Romance / Exclusive Telefilms. But that Golden Days passed by the Time and after overtaken by Viacom 18 - the Colors Bangla lost the path and Derailed from its main target vividly and now completely out raced from the Market. Recently Colors Bangla filling their Program Schedule with the Dubbed Content from Hindi GEC and repetation of Bangla Movies even in the Night Schedule which again leading their path into deep darkness.

Colors Bangla Cinema
The Movie Library of CBC lacks with Comparison to Star Jalsha Movies and Zee Bangla Cinema. Also repetation of same Movies in alternate Days leads to create non interest among Subscribers.

Colors
Colors lost its tempo from 2 years Back when Big Boss 11 failed and Channel invests hugely on BB. Recently they have made off air all its Old Serials but still unable to hit the Goal. Only 'Chhote Sardarni' ' & 'Khatra....' making its TRP . Even 'Dance Deewane' 'Kawach' could not achieve the Goal so even now on Sundays they offers 'The Khatra Show' to compensate the Loss. It's High time for Viacom 18 to think wisely for Colors.
But there are no words but a Single Word to Describe 'Colors Rishtey' is - " Disappointment".

Colors Cineplex
Colors Cineplex lost the Charm a quite after starting their mirror Telecast with SD + HD Version with South Masala Stuffs. Hope they realise the Scenario and share the Time Bands with more Bollywood Stuffs.

MTV / MTV Beats / Vh1
Viacom 18 is really shining in the Music Genre as it's advantage on Baarc reflects for Availability for HD Variants.
Both Mtv Beats & Vh1 offers some Good content.

Where as Mtv offers music from 12 am to 10 am and rest is assured for Reality Shows of its Brand. I think Mtv should rename their Brand to Colors Reality & Colors Reality HD instead of MTV & MTV HD+.

Viacom 18 really shines with Glory in the English Genre and Kids Genre with Colors Infinity & Comedy Central + Nick , Sonic. They can now sit back and take a strong decision by Launching English Movie Channel asap.

Another strong point for Viacom 18 is their Package Pricing after New TRAI Tariff. But failed to attract Subscribers for Subscribing their Portfolio.

We can only Hope and Pray for Viacom 18 that they will reshuffle their ideas and will Bounce Back strongly.

As per the Thread suggests - Here are some take from My Point of View regarding Viacom 18 -

Colors Bangla
When Viacom 18 had not undertaken the Ennadu Television We the Bengali's have privilege to watch ETV Bangla (presently Colors Bangla) which really provides so many Good & Original Shows that till date We cherish that Memories. Even on Sundays ETV Bangla used to telecast Very Special Stories relating to Mystery / Romance / Exclusive Telefilms. But that Golden Days passed by the Time and after overtaken by Viacom 18 - the Colors Bangla lost the path and Derailed from its main target vividly and now completely out raced from the Market. Recently Colors Bangla filling their Program Schedule with the Dubbed Content from Hindi GEC and repetation of Bangla Movies even in the Night Schedule which again leading their path into deep darkness.

Colors Bangla Cinema
The Movie Library of CBC lacks with Comparison to Star Jalsha Movies and Zee Bangla Cinema. Also repetation of same Movies in alternate Days leads to create non interest among Subscribers.

Colors
Colors lost its tempo from 2 years Back when Big Boss 11 failed and Channel invests hugely on BB. Recently they have made off air all its Old Serials but still unable to hit the Goal. Only 'Chhote Sardarni' ' & 'Khatra....' making its TRP . Even 'Dance Deewane' 'Kawach' could not achieve the Goal so even now on Sundays they offers 'The Khatra Show' to compensate the Loss. It's High time for Viacom 18 to think wisely for Colors.
But there are no words but a Single Word to Describe 'Colors Rishtey' is - " Disappointment".

Colors Cineplex
Colors Cineplex lost the Charm a quite after starting their mirror Telecast with SD + HD Version with South Masala Stuffs. Hope they realise the Scenario and share the Time Bands with more Bollywood Stuffs.

MTV / MTV Beats / Vh1
Viacom 18 is really shining in the Music Genre as it's advantage on Baarc reflects for Availability for HD Variants.
Both Mtv Beats & Vh1 offers some Good content.

Where as Mtv offers music from 12 am to 10 am and rest is assured for Reality Shows of its Brand. I think Mtv should rename their Brand to Colors Reality & Colors Reality HD instead of MTV & MTV HD+.

Viacom 18 really shines with Glory in the English Genre and Kids Genre with Colors Infinity & Comedy Central + Nick , Sonic. They can now sit back and take a strong decision by Launching English Movie Channel asap.

Another strong point for Viacom 18 is their Package Pricing after New TRAI Tariff. But failed to attract Subscribers for Subscribing their Portfolio.

We can only Hope and Pray for Viacom 18 that they will reshuffle their ideas and will Bounce Back strongly.
They can't just rebrand MTV when it's using US MTV's IP. Just imagine what would happen to their shows like MTV Hustle and MTV Unplugged. I personally hope Viacom launches an English language music channel to compete against 9XO. They can air indie music here too which helps them to sell their live gigs as well. Meanwhile existing VH1 can air reality shows along with music videos, live concerts, awards and documentaries.

Talking about bouquets. Dunno about other bouquets But Colors wala North East bouquets doesn't have that Colors wala channel. They need to add their flagship channels in all Colors wala bouquet atleast to attract viewers. Cineplex is a failure. No point of buying that channel anymore. If they premiere Viacom's movies here. Atleast it would attract more viewers to Colors.

Colors Bangla
When Viacom 18 had not undertaken the Ennadu Television We the Bengali's have privilege to watch ETV Bangla (presently Colors Bangla) which really provides so many Good & Original Shows that till date We cherish that Memories. Even on Sundays ETV Bangla used to telecast Very Special Stories relating to Mystery / Romance / Exclusive Telefilms.
I still remember those days when whole family used to sit and watch ETV Bangla on weekends. At that time it was everybody's Top Priority for Bangla content. Miss those days.

When Viacom 18 had not undertaken the Ennadu Television We the Bengali's have privilege to watch ETV Bangla (presently Colors Bangla) which really provides so many Good & Original Shows that till date We cherish that Memories. Even on Sundays ETV Bangla used to telecast Very Special Stories relating to Mystery / Romance / Exclusive Telefilms.
Even I think that ETV Bangla was an excellent channel. But Star Jalsha (to a smaller extent Zee Bangla) completely dominated afterwards. I miss ETV Bangla and feel that its rebranding to Colors Bangla was a mistake.

I still remember those days when whole family used to sit and watch ETV Bangla on weekends. At that time it was everybody's Top Priority for Bangla content. Miss those days.
Weekdays from 6:00 pm onwards. It starts with news than there is some reality show about women. Also movies during noon. I remember there were constantly news coming between movies. Now it's just gone. In Assam, Zee dominates followed by Jalsha. Jalsha has huge monopoly in movies.

Also Viacom has Monopoly in Gujarati market having both GEC & movie channel. With zee coming up with Punjabi channel Viacom should also need to explore that market atleast can launch channel like aaho where they can also use thier MTV Indies library

Colors lost its tempo from 2 years Back when Big Boss 11 failed
Are you serious? it was one of the most successful season BB had. Though Last year BB was complete disaster
Quoting one of my post for the reason of Colors downfall
Colors downfall started when they ended good show like Bepaanah to put super bogus BB12 on prime time slot, which completely backfired them as it clashed with KBC after that it failed in weekdays but did well in weekends due to nagin3, rising Star2, KKK9

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock