Breaking Tata Play removed all Sony network channels from existing packs; to be available only on à-la-carte basis

• Thread starter Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 122
  • Views Views: Views 19,061
yes, it is not a big issue for both brodcaster and dth provider. Let them fight amicably. But it is definitely a major issue for us. Sony is illegaly irritating the customers by posting the message which was blocking the scorecard during yesterdays ind vs sl cricket match. Subscribers have paid for the conent and they are blocking the content for their own benefit. This is indeed unethical and it is very big issue for us. If this had happened in US then people there would have sued sony for blocking the content.

It is a very big issue for the broadcaster bcoz step taken by Tata Play leads to reach of Sony Channels getting reduced by a big margin and ultimately ratings dip thereby reducing ad revenue.

By the way bro u said that if in USA any broadcaster would have displayed such notice of channels hampering the viewing experience of customers who have paid for watching the channel then i would like to let u know that there have been several disputes majorly regarding broadcaster and operators not reaching mutually agreeable terms regarding how much money needs to paid by operators for opting channels of a broadcaster while signing agreements or other issues but what i want to ask is that if in USA an operator decided to drop channels of a broadcaster saying these r not popular though factually that would seem incorrect statement to make then surely some people would have sued the operator for doing the same.

Disputes happen that is not the main issue but here i am just unable to understand why Tata Play took this step that too all of a sudden without informing Sony or its customers and i atleast do not agree with the reason being given that Sony Channels have less popularity / viewership....also even if this were true still why not give customers option to chose between 2 variants of DPP bouquets one containing these channels and other not...also why remove the option for customers to opt for broadcaster bouquets of Sony ..... Anyways Sony has all the valid reasons to be super annoyed and i am quite sure if Sony goes to the court on this issue they have very strong chance of winning the case

I only watch sony marathi among all sony channels and I already pick it from a la carte

But Sony channels are still in Marathi hindi super value,then why it is removed from Marathi Dhamaal pack? Even Sony BBC Earth is gone in Dhamaal pack!!

It is a very big issue for the broadcaster bcoz step taken by Tata Play leads to reach of Sony Channels getting reduced by a big margin and ultimately ratings dip thereby reducing ad revenue.

By the way bro u said that if in USA any broadcaster would have displayed such notice of channels hampering the viewing experience of customers who have paid for watching the channel then i would like to let u know that there have been several disputes majorly regarding broadcaster and operators not reaching mutually agreeable terms regarding how much money needs to paid by operators for opting channels of a broadcaster while signing agreements or other issues but what i want to ask is that if in USA an operator decided to drop channels of a broadcaster saying these r not popular though factually that would seem incorrect statement to make then surely some people would have sued the operator for doing the same.

Disputes happen that is not the main issue but here i am just unable to understand why Tata Play took this step that too all of a sudden without informing Sony or its customers and i atleast do not agree with the reason being given that Sony Channels have less popularity / viewership....also even if this were true still why not give customers option to chose between 2 variants of DPP bouquets one containing these channels and other not...also why remove the option for customers to opt for broadcaster bouquets of Sony ..... Anyways Sony has all the valid reasons to be super annoyed and i am quite sure if Sony goes to the court on this issue they have very strong chance of winning the case
The reach of the channels is not getting reduced IMHO... Subscribers can add them as a-la-carte.

Not offering a channel in a package does not mean that reach is low.

Say I opt for a package in which I get the top 5 Hindi GEC channels, but watch only 2 out of 5... Is the reach getting reduced here or increased???

Packages are created for comfort and satisfaction...

The last package I opted was Ultra Pack HD in 2018 before TRAI NTO. After that I am on a-la-carte since 2019...

But Sony channels are still in Marathi hindi super value,then why it is removed from Marathi Dhamaal pack? Even Sony BBC Earth is gone in Dhamaal pack!!
As stated each day these channels will be removed from DPO bouquet of 1 million customers and this will continue for 10 days w.e.f 1st August..... Also those subscribed to broadcaster bouquet of Sony will also be affected by this and all customers just have option to opt for Sony Channels on A La Carte basis

As stated each day these channels will be removed from DPO bouquet of 1 million customers and this will continue for 10 days w.e.f 1st August..... Also those subscribed to broadcaster bouquet of Sony will also be affected by this and all customers just have option to opt for Sony Channels on A La Carte basis
Meaning of DPO?

The reach of the channels is not getting reduced IMHO... Subscribers can add them as a-la-carte.

Not offering a channel in a package does not mean that reach is low.

Say I opt for a package in which I get the top 5 Hindi GEC channels, but watch only 2 out of 5... Is the reach getting reduced here or increased???

Packages are created for comfort and satisfaction...

The last package I opted was Ultra Pack HD in 2018 before TRAI NTO. After that I am on a-la-carte since 2019...

Already answered how reach is negatively impacted in my previous posts in this thread itself,,please read the same for answer..... 85 to 90%<subscribers opt for DPO Bouquets and reason is that these come at very low cost / discount compared to what individual pricing of channels are wherein subscribing to just 3 popular channels will cost more than what a basic mid tier DPO or Broadcaeter bouquet would cost and give access to these 3 and all other channels of a broadcaster/s

Also this was why earlier TRAI made various rules so that is at max 15% discount applicable when opting for channels in a bouquet as compared to sum total of a la carte price of these channels and 2nd rule of price of any individual channel included in a bouquet should not be more than 2.5 times the average price of channels included in a bouquet so that broadcasters do not club many extremely low priced channels with higher priced one in a bouquet....had these 2 points been implemented in right manner then customers who have got true freedom of chosing their favorite channels be it via bouquets or A La Carte mode but later on as modifications were made and more discounts allowed on broadcaster / DPO Bouquets and 2nd rule was discontinued with then obviously DPO Bouquets again became best way to save money

85 to 90%<subscribers opt for DPO Bouquets and reason is that these come at very low cost / discount compared to what individual pricing of channels are wherein subscribing to just 3 popular channels will cost more than what a basic mid tier DPO or Broadcaeter bouquet would cost and give access to these 3 and all other channels of a broadcaster/s
Yes they opt as they get more channels in a package instead of opting them individually which would cost more. Correct.

But I am speaking of reach of channels

Say a package costing Rs 300 has 100 channels, no doubt subscribing to these 100 channels independently would go above Rs300...

But that is not the question, its about reach.. so how many subscribers will watch all 100 channels part of the package??? Do all 100 channels have equal reach??

Yes they opt as they get more channels in a package instead of opting them individually which would cost more. Correct.

But I am speaking of reach of channels

Say a package costing Rs 300 has 100 channels, no doubt subscribing to these 100 channels independently would go above Rs300...

But that is not the question, its about reach.. so how many subscribers will watch all 100 channels part of the package??? Do all 100 channels have equal reach??

Buddy let me share an example

Suppose earlier i had subscribed to a bouquet which contained all sony hindi and english channels....now with Tata Play dropping these channels from DPO bouquets and telling me to opt for them on A La Carte basis so obviously i will handpick 3 or 4 important channels rather than subscribing all others which too i watched earlier bcoz subscribing to al with inflate my monthly DTH subscription bill hence this is what i am trying yo explain reach / viewership does not simply come from a channel being available on a platform but how effectively and properly it is packaged / priced so that maximum people subscribe to it and as far as those channels r concerned which come part of bouquet but we watch less often well they too get adversely effected by dropping entire of bouquet of channels from DPO Bouquets as even though one may not watch them regularly but as these r part of bouquets there is high scope of people tuning into it randomly or broadcaster playing a program on it which attracts viewers which further boosts viewership.........

It is like if a channel offers ur favorite content and within a bouquet it is available alongwith other channels of which u watch few and total it costs Rs. 57 , now if u r told that channels have been dropped from DPO bouquets and broadcaster bouquets have been removed too and u can chose these channels on A La Carte mode then obviously with prominent channels costing Rs. 12/15/19 u will handpick few channels to subscribe or randomly subscribe or unsubscribe various channels of that broadcaster to keep monthly bill under check hence it directly negatively impacts broadcasters as they lose out on subscription reveue, viewership and therby due to it less advertise show interest in buying ad slots on such channels or even if they buy they demand lower rates

Back
Top Bottom