Breaking Tata Sky applying new TRAI tariff order in website

• Thread starter N.K raj
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,184
  • Views: Views 172,224
My Pack.

Capture.png
Bro, what is your channel count ?

Usually, TS promos are long or never-ending like Saturday's offer and HD access Fee offer was. :lol::lol:
Actually, Its a very good move by Tatasky but i don't think it will last long maybe 3m or 6m time period will be imposed.

You are making a very generalised statement and being unfair to many pay channels by painting them alongwith those who just look at maximising profit. Reality is that running a channel is a tough thing.

Do u know cost involved in running a news channel? From paying salaries , transmission costs, travel/accomodation/OB Van maintenance, distribution etc. is a high money consuming task.

Similarly running an entertainment, movie or music channel has its own monetary challenges. Ads alone can't cover expenses and yield good returns. Even ad rates for hindi or regional channels is far less to what premium english channels command.

Simply bashing broadcasters is easy but understanding intricacies of this business is a different ballgame.

Free To Air channels run on repeat or old content or those popular and having new content operate in a genre which fits the essential model. A channelv like 9XM may do well despite being FTA bcoz of sheer volume of subscribers it has thus garnering good ad revenue feasible to run a music channel but u can't expect same from Star Gold as buying movie rights is much more costly than music.

If i go on explaining then this thread will be extremely long but all in all one should expect affordability + fair amount of ads but going to extreme ends on either fronts is uncalled for

Quite an amazing response. Why should I pay to watch adverts?
I completely agree that channels accepting advert revenues must be free to air.
If this bit is changed then it will force all channels to relook at their business model. I suspect it will be all advert driven except a few where the quality of content will attract the consumer.

Ideally TRAI should have -
1) Declared a max permissible NCF w/DD channels made mandatory.

2) Declared that channels with advert revenue stream cannot charge subscription and vice versa

If any channel feel that the overheads are too high blah blah blah then they can always migrate to another business. If they can't stand the heat then they need to get out of the kitchen.

Did you just wake up ? TRAI already made that rule long ago i think in 2014-15. But broadcasters got stay order from court and case is still going on

TRAI is not a body that has ever been seen in the corner of the common man. Most of their directives make one wonder if they were not drafted by corporates.
Why not ask court to take control over the Money being charged by the channels having dual revenue streams and hand it over to the party the court deems fit. Putting the ball in the courts' court may have made the courts take the issue more seriously than it is doing at the moment.

I will google, but could you share a link to the said court case as well. Thx..

Quite an amazing response. Why should I pay to watch adverts?
I completely agree that channels accepting advert revenues must be free to air.
If this bit is changed then it will force all channels to relook at their business model. I suspect it will be all advert driven except a few where the quality of content will attract the consumer.

Ideally TRAI should have -
1) Declared a max permissible NCF w/DD channels made mandatory.

2) Declared that channels with advert revenue stream cannot charge subscription and vice versa

If any channel feel that the overheads are too high blah blah blah then they can always migrate to another business. If they can't stand the heat then they need to get out of the kitchen.

In point 2 what you are asking now is already done by TRAI in 2013. But we live in democracy so broadcasters went to court and got stay order and that case is still going on after 5 years

TRAI is not a body that has ever been seen in the corner of the common man. Most of their directives make one wonder if they were not drafted by corporates.
Why not ask court to take control over the Money being charged by the channels having dual revenue streams and hand it over to the party the court deems fit. Putting the ball in the courts' court may have made the courts take the issue more seriously than it is doing at the moment.

I will google, but could you share a link to the said court case as well. Thx..

TDSAT to resume hearing on mandatory adcap on Tuesday
NBA approaches Delhi high court for ad cap

Check the date of news also

Last edited:
courts' court may have made the courts
This made me chuckle!

On a serious note, broadcasters are allowed to charge over ₹19 for a channel in the new tariff order. They just won't be able to place that channel in any bouquet. None of the (Indian) broadcasters have done this so far. How should we interpret this?

By the way, let's not drift away from the thread topic. Perhaps this thread is a better place to continue the discussion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock