Breaking TDSAT orders BECIL to hold commerical and technical audit of Tata Sky's system qua Sony's channel

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 102
  • Views: Views 25,375
As the exact figures are out now, so lets find out who is real culprit. Sony, Tata Sky or Both. Lets not jump the gun by just looking at amounts. Lets be fair and do a little math.

3 Years Back - 800 Crore, 10 Million Subscribers, 14 Channels

Now - 1700 Crore, 16 Million Subscribers, 32 Channels

Lets 1st Evaluate Sony's Statement, that they have not increased channel prices.

So According to previous contract - 800 crore for 10 Million Customers = 800 Per Subscriber

New Contract - 1700 Crore for 16 Million Customers = 1063 Per Subscriber

Cost per channel,

Previous Contract = 800/14=57.14 Per Channel Per Customer
New Contract = 1063/32=33.22 Per Channel Per Customer

So its obvious Sony is not lying, if you see cost per channels is lesser by around Rs. 25 per channel per subscriber. That's takes all IPL and others factors :)

Now lets Evaluate Tata Sky's Statement - "what they were seeking would have forced us to hike our prices"

So according to new contract (what's Sony asking) = 1700 Crore for 16 Million Customers = 1063 Per Subscriber

It Comes down to 1063 Per Subscriber, Now the contract is for 36 months, so eventually they will be paying

1063/36=29.53 per month per subscriber for 32 Channels = 99 paisa per channel

So Tata Sky is lying here, sony is asking Rs. 29.53 per month per user for all 32 channels , and Tata Sky is charging twice the amount of this for its one use less active service. Also if you want to subscribe to Ten 1 only as ala-carte, Tata Sky is charging Rs. 60.

does 100% of the 16 million customers subscribe to all 32 channels ?

does 100% of the 16 million customers subscribe to all 32 channels ?
No but sony is asking 29.53 for all 32 channels, and even if you subscribe 2 sony channels on Tata Sky as a-la carte, cost will be more than rs. 30 and Even Tata Sky's lowest pack(except 99 pack) "Dhamaka Pack" has 4 sony channels and that is too after dropping other channels, in actual no is even more

Last edited:
@TheFearLess You have calculated wonderfully but it is not that straight you think .It involves lot of factors when you go for a fixed deal agreement including LCN placements.Its a request to check terms and conditions on any broadcaster website.

Last edited:
@dino29 When you compare Tata Sky package with other operators I agree Tata Sky has higher rates and also HD access fee but you also compare with each channel rates . There are channels which are too costly like MTV Hd+ and Vh1 HD and there will be sony channels also which will command high rates and only present on Tata Sky.Dth operators also raised that these channels are given on very lower rates to OTT platforms while for Dth their rates are different. Also you can compare package rates of Dth operators the difference is not that huge. In fact for Dishtv I was paying 600+ monthly for a HD package along with a base pack and not getting all channels and was considering Tata Sky for a semi annual pack which was cheaper when I looked at it with more channels.

@avipersistent bro Airtel is also providing all sony SD and HD Channels at very less prices as compared to TS. So this reason is not justified.
@Abhi Bro Kindly check the comparison thread of channels present on Tata Sky and Airtel.I dont want to comment further as it is not a Tata sky vs Airtel thread .Also check my post 44.There are many costly HD channels missing from Airtel. Check the rates of MTV HD+, MTV Beats HD, VH1 HD on broadcaster website.Also to add if I am not wrong Tata Sky has more subscribers than Airtel

Last edited:
@dino29 When you compare Tata Sky package with other operators I agree Tata Sky has higher rates and also HD access fee but you also compare with each channel rates . There are channels which are too costly like MTV Hd+ and Vh1 HD and there will be sony channels also which will command high rates and only present on Tata Sky.Dth operators also raised that these channels are given on very lower rates to OTT platforms while for Dth their rates are different. Also you can compare package rates of Dth operators the difference is not that huge. In fact for Dishtv I was paying 600+ monthly for a HD package along with a base pack and not getting all channels and was considering Tata Sky for a semi annual pack which was cheaper when I looked at it with more channels.
Well, I didn't wanted to compare in this thread, but now if you have raised issue, Tata Sky is charging 8900 for its south platinum HD pack which has all SD and HD channels and Airtel OMG!!! is offering its internet TV + All HD and SD channels for 1 Year in 7999, and they are charging 5999 for Infinity All HD pack for 1 year which has all HD + SD Channels.

Airtel Internet Tv, Online Tv with Google Voice Search

Last edited:
Channel row: TDSAT gives Sony, Tata Sky 4 weeks to find solution

The Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has directed Sony Pictures Networks India and Tata Sky to find an amicable solution in four weeks.The broadcaster and the direct-to-home (DTH) company are currently embroiled in a tiff over revenue-share and pricing of channels.

“We direct both the parties to sit across the table and try to work out a mutually acceptable negotiated agreement within a period of four weeks from today. If required the parties may seek extension of the period,” said a TDSAT order. The matter is next listed for November 11, when the outcome of the fresh round of negotiations between the two companies will be considered.

Channel row: TDSAT gives Sony, Tata Sky 4 weeks to find solution

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock