Breaking TDSAT orders BECIL to hold commerical and technical audit of Tata Sky's system qua Sony's channel

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 102
  • Views: Views 25,316
As the exact figures are out now, so lets find out who is real culprit. Sony, Tata Sky or Both. Lets not jump the gun by just looking at amounts. Lets be fair and do a little math.

3 Years Back - 800 Crore, 10 Million Subscribers, 14 Channels

Now - 1700 Crore, 16 Million Subscribers, 32 Channels

Lets 1st Evaluate Sony's Statement, that they have not increased channel prices.

So According to previous contract - 800 crore for 10 Million Customers = 800 Per Subscriber

New Contract - 1700 Crore for 16 Million Customers = 1063 Per Subscriber

Cost per channel,

Previous Contract = 800/14=57.14 Per Channel Per Customer
New Contract = 1063/32=33.22 Per Channel Per Customer

So its obvious Sony is not lying, if you see cost per channels is lesser by around Rs. 25 per channel per subscriber. That's takes all IPL and others factors :)

Now lets Evaluate Tata Sky's Statement - "what they were seeking would have forced us to hike our prices"

So according to new contract (what's Sony asking) = 1700 Crore for 16 Million Customers = 1063 Per Subscriber

It Comes down to 1063 Per Subscriber, Now the contract is for 36 months, so eventually they will be paying

1063/36=29.53 per month per subscriber for 32 Channels = 99 paisa per channel

So Tata Sky is lying here, sony is asking Rs. 29.53 per month per user for all 32 channels , and Tata Sky is charging twice the amount of this for its one use less active service. Also if you want to subscribe to Ten 1 only as ala-carte, Tata Sky is charging Rs. 60.

Thanks for this brief analysis based on hard figures. I had previously too said that new prices are infact lower than what they charged earlier, anyone can compare their bouquet or RIO rates prior to TRAI Tariff Order & post that by going on SPNI website. Cost per channel is drastically less now. I hope that Sony presents all these facts infront of TDSAT and i am sure they will succeed in winning case or they should drop all channels from Tata Sky without worrying about fall in ratings as its evident from this week's BARC data. Tata Sky will face heat and later themselves negotiate, even if they have a valid concern of drop in revenue they should amicably convey to broadcaster and sort it out. Just tell Sony that we will make most of the payment right now but keep 30% for later which can be reworked based on market condition in future months. My Way or Highway strategy is wrong, gone r days when Tata Sky was kept on high pedestal and treated in a special way

@dino29 When you compare Tata Sky package with other operators I agree Tata Sky has higher rates and also HD access fee but you also compare with each channel rates . There are channels which are too costly like MTV Hd+ and Vh1 HD and there will be sony channels also which will command high rates and only present on Tata Sky.Dth operators also raised that these channels are given on very lower rates to OTT platforms while for Dth their rates are different. Also you can compare package rates of Dth operators the difference is not that huge. In fact for Dishtv I was paying 600+ monthly for a HD package along with a base pack and not getting all channels and was considering Tata Sky for a semi annual pack which was cheaper when I looked at it with more channels.

Brother , fact is that some channels have mass appeal while others have niche appeal. Broadcasters club these in different bouquets based on that, Tata Sky subscriber base has sizeable % willing to pay for niche content hence they have signed deals for highest bouquet with most broadcasters. If they are making a free choice then they should pay accordingly for them.

Regarding Dish TV charging more but providing less channels, well i guess that's mostly applicable only for their higher packs. As far as data suggests, Dish TV has wide reach in rural + semi urban areas & getting max revenue from such regions hence they have signed up with broadcasters for bouquets containing mass appealing channels apart from regular English SD/HD channels. Now as they have less subscribers opting for higher packs but have to recover money paid so they are keeping more margin for thenselves while also trying to attract prospective HD subscribers. If they get more traction in upper segment then cost factor will stabilize and get divided among the universe. Its essential to maintain balance in each segment to bring growth + profits.

Last edited:
@avipersistent bro Airtel is also providing all sony SD and HD Channels at very less prices as compared to TS. So this reason is not justified.

Airtel is second to Tata Sky in having premium base, Dish d2h is far behind. Those who find Tata Sky pricey, Airtel welcomes them onboard with all smiles. But you will have to adjust with buggy airtel self care and not so well trained customer care. Save Money but spend some more time, energy to resolve things. :)

@TheFearLess I dont want to Justify everything but yes Tata Sky is a premium DTH and charges more than peers. On a whole it has more of everything be it more SD and HD channels ,+1 channels which Airtel does not have which you will agree with me.Its same as like Iphone on one side and other phones . This is only my personal view bro and I am not defending Tata Sky.

Well surely Tata Sky products and service is of excellent standard but still they can't command such high premium for this. Also Bhai please don't remind me of +1 SD/HD or Repeats, this is the most useless thing they have ever introduced after Karaoke. All the movies, shows ars repeated day n night on a regular basis, content is available on OTT too. Instead of wasting bandwidth like this, they should activate USB recording on HD STB & launch SD STB supporting the same, additionally they can use Push VOD option to send content to subscriber based on request. Most people have started ditching IPhone bcoz it costs a lot and there is nothing so great about it, its charger wire breaks even faster than chinese brands. Tata Sky shouldn't be inspired by them else Samsung (Airtel), Oppo/Vivo (Dish d2h) etc. will move ahead of them

Last edited:
Sony has lost IPL which is the most viewed property that bouquet had. It won’t get anywhere close to what it is demanding. Viewership of other properties it has is negligible. After Australia series ends in Jan, next India series it has is in July only.

Just because they have 32 channels which has properties viewed by negligible people it can’t demand double. No one will pay that.

Bhai IPL has been given too much importance, it can't be sole reason for drop in value of Sony Bouquet. Almost all their other channels except Sony Yay are performing exceedingly or quite well in respective genres. Infact the properties on Entertainment or Movie Channels has more consistent & high viewership than IPL. Even in niche space like English Movie or Infotainment Genre, Sony is in great position & a strong player.

Honestly we all need to stop treating IPL as something so special, already it's bid amount has reached sky high and if it keeps climbing Star Sports will launch 3 more sports channels for cricket highlights & convert existing ones to recover amount paid by showing IPL highlights. Never want Sony to go that way, they r showing variety of sports and we need to be appreciative. :)

Last edited:
Bhai IPL has been given too much importance, it can't be sole reason for drop in value of Sony Bouquet. Almost all their other channels except Sony Yay are performing exceedingly or quite well in respective genres. Infact the properties on Entertainment or Movie Channels has more consistent & high viewership than IPL. Even in niche space like English Movie or Infotainment Genre, Sony is in great position & a strong player.

Honestly we all need to stop treating IPL as something so special, already it's bid amount has reached sky high and if it keeps climbing Star Sports will launch 3 more sports channels for cricket highlights & convert existing ones to recover amount paid by showing IPL highlights. Never want Sony to go that way, they r showing variety of sports and we need to be appreciative. :)
Bhai, why are you worried so much for Tata Sky and spending your energy and time on this much analysis? only some channels are removed.
There are so many things in life apart from DTH.

Last edited:
Yes I know that Bro That this is not Tata sky vs Airtel thread and I also know that MTV HD , vh1hd , beats hd and many more Viacom 18 channels missing in adtv and let me tell you this is because of the some issues between the Viacom and airtel and not because of its prices. Please check that adtv general discussion thread. Please check the facts before posting. And now lots of subscribers moving from tata sky in my area but not sure about others. And Also I am fully agreed with all the points of @TheFearLess bro and See the difference between the annual prices of Airtel and Tata sky and then comment on this. Tata Sky provides all channels and services at Rs.8900 per year whereas Airtel provides all channels and services @ just Rs.5,999 per year
And then also Tata aky makes excuses. I am sorry to say But your statement is not justified at least for me.
Also one more thing to say ADTV has only missing only some hd Channels which are present on tata sky from which some/ many of the channels may get removed in near future due to their fight with the major broadcasters including zee , times network and Indiacast too And also currently adtv and tata sky is providing equal number of hd channels with huge difference in prices which is again the big injustice with their subscribers.

1. The channels not present on a platform is always due to price issues.Money is the sole reason.Airtel was having 12 less HD channels than Tata Sky before and more than 50+ SD channels/services less than Tata Sky even after removal of Sony channels
2.There can be broadcasters issue with Airtel also where channels can be removed or put on Ala-carte like Star
3.The current equal with Airtel is due to Sony issue which has started just now and this may/may not resolve as per future negotiations but Tata Sky was leading on both fronts before that.
4. The Sony issue is going on and is on court. If that does not resolve Tata Sky may reduce the prices.

@Abhi bro I cannot compel you to believe but on a neutral perspective the above are facts and still stand.Its upto you to believe or not.

1. The channels not present on a platform is always due to price issues.Money is the sole reason.Airtel was having 12 less HD channels than Tata Sky before and more than 50+ SD channels/services less than Tata Sky even after removal of Sony channels
2.There can be broadcasters issue with Airtel also where channels can be removed or put on Ala-carte like Star
3.The current equal with Airtel is due to Sony issue which has started just now and this may/may not resolve as per future negotiations but Tata Sky was leading on both fronts before that.
4. The Sony issue is going on and is on court. If that does not resolve Tata Sky may reduce the prices.

@Abhi bro I cannot compel you to believe but on a neutral perspective the above are facts and still stand.Its upto you to believe or not.

1. Bro earlier it the channels was not added because of the bandwidth issues and later its comes to contract issues
2. Airtel putted star channels on ala carte that too only for one day but Tata sky removed from the platform you know that and bro in case of Indiacast channels will not be removed from base packs or from platform
3.Yes I know that this is because of sony channels only but see now Tata sky also stopped adding new channels because they have issues with all the broadcasters which i mentioned in my previous posts too but you didn't understood.
4. Lets see that Tata sky will reduce prices or not.

Edited..

One more explanation i want to give bro its just the matter of difference in our opinions and we remain good friends as always and I respect your point of view and lets end it.:hands:

Last edited:
1. Bro earlier it the channels was not added because of the bandwidth issues and later its comes to contract issues
2. Airtel putted star channels on ala carte that too only for one day but Tata sky removed from the platform you know that and bro in case of Indiacast channels will not be removed from base packs or from platform
3.Yes I know that this is because of sony channels only but see now Tata sky also stopped adding new channels because they have issues with all the broadcasters which i mentioned in my previous posts too but you didn't understood.
4. Lets see that Tata sky will reduce prices or not.

Bro See you yourself are saying that only 12 hd channels and some SD Channels difference earlier b/w Tata sky and airtel and that too with the huge price difference. So it means you are blindly supporting tata sky for the wrong reasons. Then i have nothing more to say bro..:hands:

I dont support anybody.Bro Its a neutral perspective. I dont have Tata Sky and having Dishtv and stated the facts only.It is not some bro.50+12 becomes =62 channels and previously before Sony got removed add 26 tata sky channels were much more.I will close this here and don't have further to say.

Last edited:
I dont support anybody.Bro Its a neutral perspective. I dont have Tata Sky and having Dishtv and stated the facts only.It is not some bro.50+12 becomes =62 channels and previously before Sony got removed add 26 tata sky channels were much more.I will close this here and don't have further to say.
Bro I have edited some part may be you were reading this post before i edited it. You can check now bro and yes this issue is also closed from my side too..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock