TRAI to examine cross media ownership

• Thread starter Gagan
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1
  • Views: Views 1,303

Gagan

Reaction score
TRAI to examine cross media ownership

The Telecom Regualatory Authority of India is supposed to take up the issue of cross media ownership following a request sent by the Information & Broadcasting Ministry regarding the same.

In a letter to TRAI, Chairman, Rahul Khullur, I &B Secretary, Uday Varma has written a letter on May 16 on this regard.

According to PTI, the letter says, "Major players are looking for expanding their business interests in various segments of print and broadcasting sectors. In this scenario, issue of media ownership and the need for cross media restrictions assumes great significance."

Mr. Verma has asked the regulator to check various issues of vertical cross ownership where companies owning TV channels were venturing into various distribution platforms like Cable TV distribution, Direct to Home (DTH) and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV).

The I&B Ministry also wants to ensure the quality services at reasonable prices as far as the issue of cross media ownership is concerned.

Furthermore, Varma has written that at present companies have control and ownership across Print, TV and Radio leading to horizontal integration. There is no regulation or restriction for entering into such capacity, but apprehension have been expressed in the past that control of media organisations in a few hands may prevent plurality of news and views.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock