Updates:- MHA denies permission to Sun Network channels, shut down imminent?

• Thread starter ayanc99
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 129
  • Views: Views 13,459
Rahulan Ratnarajah said:
Not possible. .still legal issues.

Could you please elaborate? I asked this question about this to Sathish and he didn't answer yet.

Dileep Kumar said:
Home Ministry may give clearance to Sun TV ‘if ownership changes’

Sun TV is the market leader in South India, and its radio channels under the brand name Suryan FM in Tamil Nadu and Red FM in other cities, are among India’s top FM stations.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), which denied security clearance to Sun TV network, is willing to reconsider its decision if the “ownership of the network changes hands or its Board of Directors is disbanded”, since the denial was primarily against its “promoters”, said senior officials of the MHA.

The network, with 33 satellite TV channels, is promoted by Kalanidhi Maran, brother of former Communications and IT Minister Dayanidhi Maran.

The decision to deny security clearance was based on considerations of “adverse impact on economic security,” and was “individual-centric”, said MHA officials, adding that security clearance to the TV network could be granted if there was a change in the network’s ownership.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/home-ministry-may-give-clearance-to-sun-tv-if-ownership-changes/

more like a drama in sun tv..I just can't see sun network getting banned.

MIB seeks MHA to define the context of economic security in Sun TV security clearance issue

Ministry for Information & Broadcasting (MIB) has written a letter to MHA seeking clarification on what all constitutes ‘economic security’ as the Ministry for Home Affairs (MHA) had cited ‘economic security’ as the prime reason for denying security clearance to 33 TV channels of the Sun Group.

The MIB is also seeking legal opinion if economic violations constitute threat to the security of the country and if there is a precedent of using the grounds of economic security to deny broadcasting licenses.

“Security is not clearly defined, so we would want to know what exactly it constitutes. And more so in this case ( Sun TV security clearance issue ), how does economic offences of a company affect the economic security of the nation,” a Source from MIB said.

Meanwhile, the union home ministry “clarified” on Tuesday to MIB that the reasons for denying security clearance could be communicated to Sun TV in a show-cause notice. In a letter dated 4th June denying clearance, MHA had requested MIB not to disclose the reasons for denial to the applicant company.

On Tuesday, Union minister Arun Jaitley, who heads both finance and I&B, had a meeting with top MIB officials to give directions on how to take the issue forward. MIB wants a clear definition of security from MHA in this context. “They could either state the reasons or say the denial was as per guidelines. MIB should not be faulted on anything in the court,” an MIB Source said.

The MHA official said that economic security “is a very important component of overall national security” and hence has been invoked in the Sun TV matter. “In simple terms, economic security issues involve bad money being invested in legitimate businesses with long-term adverse economic consequences for the country,” he said, stressing that threats to the country’s overall national security do not come only from terrorists.

The MHA has used the economic security angle to clamp down on NGOs like Greenpeace India and Ford Foundation lately. In an April 10 order suspending the FCRA licence of Greenpeace India, the MHA alleged financial irregularities committed by the NGO “prejudicially affected the public interest and the economic interest of the state”.

On 23rd April, the MHA cracked down on Ford Foundation, saying in an order that it wanted to ensure that the funds sent by the International NGO were utilised for “bonafide welfare activities without compromising on concerns of national interest and security”.

The MHA sources insist that economic security issues impinge on crony capitalism, destroying the level playing field.

MIB seeks MHA to define the context of economic security in Sun TV security clearance issue

Sadiq said:

Sun group owns by Kalanidhi maran and the culprit is (bsnl illegal connection / aircel maxis issues) is dayanithi . Then why Govt. denies permission for kalanidhi maran's group. The reason is because kalanidhi is dayanidhi's brothers. Hence i hope govt. won't allow the ownership changes within family members.

These are my own predictions. don't argue much in these.

sathishbabu4u said:
Sun group owns by Kalanidhi maran and the culprit is (bsnl illegal connection / aircel maxis issues) is dayanithi . Then why Govt. denies permission for kalanidhi maran's group. The reason is because kalanidhi is dayanidhi's brothers. Hence i hope govt. won't allow the ownership changes within family members.

1: “illegal” connections of telephones used for uploading their content.
2: Alleged involvement in 2G scam.
3: Aircel-Maxis deal.

This issue seem to have brought both the owner and the company under issue.

Action against an individual/group is different from action against a company where thousands of staff are employed and there is too much at stake.

Also this is an economic offence, so if the ownership changes to someone who is nowhere in the scene and is free from issues then they may continue to run business as the owner has no hand in any issues. The company related issue might be separately dealt.

So mostly the issue will pick speed only after receiving a notification, the company could go to court (like their cable company issue and their FM issue) and get a stay and fight legally while the business keeps running and when necessity arises then the ownership might change to someone close and trustable.

sathishbabu4u said:

As far as I heard during year 2010, the BSNL illegal connection was used to telecast Sun Network channels with high quality. I am not sure about the technical feasibility about this but this is what I heard. If that is true, Kalanithi is also a culprit.

So, if his wife didn't include in the business so far, I think she can take charge. But still I am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock