Videocon D2H SDHD 556-B Review

• Thread starter tapashk
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 16
  • Views: Views 11,939

tapashk

Reaction score
Dear All,

Let me share my reviews regarding HD Set top box of Videocon D2H model no. "SDHD 556-B". with main focus on HD Channels reception quality

Connected via Sony Bravia KVL 24R422A HD Ready LED TV. Though I purchased it for my single room. Some thing about this TV model its HD Ready, Edge LED, Sleek sides, great color, 100 motion rate,Sound though not upto the mark buts its OK in price of rs.15250/-, viewing angle good but not best, person seeing it from center receive the best picture color. Am satisfied from this sony TV. I purchased it mainly to watch HD Channels.

But now the real action Videocon d2h will it enhance my TV viewing experience through HD channels to the next level let see!!!!

SDHD 556-B

1.Set top Box:
Build plastic quality ok....rather I should say cheap quality hard plastic, yes that sounds better.Anyways hopefully it does what it suppose to do. No operation buttons on it, only a front LED, glow blue when it start, being red while Standby. Quiet small its I guess same as looks like 2222, or 555. No LAN port at back. Very light.

2. Remote: Quite good, plastic quality more than good, response from buttons good, slim due to small lithium ion battery, RF signal works even from other room. Quite satisfied.

3.HDMI cable: HDMI cable provided with in the box is good, class 1.4 is more than OK. Quite satisfied.

Now the action part, its channel reception.
For SD channels: Quality is relay not upto the mark. Its even more bad than what my local cable tv set top box provide. I read some where that being transmitted via hdmi cable it even more deteriorate the SD picture quality. May be this the reason. But then too its OK because what I have seen is that Its mostly depends on the broadcasting signal quality of the channel which matters most. like ABP News looks fine even in SD quality than Zee Zindagi.But I really do not care as my main focus is on HD channels.

HD Channel quality: Best not Excellent. Yes actually I want to disclose that my expectation with the HD quality has some how shattered. So, If you are expecting a reaction like WOW with mouth wide open, a jaw dropping or even worse Faint seeing the picture quality like i was expecting than please do not.

Reasons.

Blocking or macro blocking effect is there, which means the picture appears behind a white faded layer. Just like you see in an low quality encoded BRrip movie. Picture is fine 1080p yes its HD, but behind white cloudy patches.
So if you watch the HD channel from a bit far distance your eyes wont be able to notice this, moment you go near its clear like crystal.

Another way to spot it from near, so when the picture in the TV is still or the video, soap or movie have less motion shots, the picture is just perfect, moment it gain motion the blocking effect is more.

One trick to find it fast is to tune to any HD sports channel tike Ten HD, Star sports etc where motion videos are more am sure your eyes will catch the blocking effect in one click.

I have tested my LED with BRrip 1080p 60 frames/sec movie played via external HDD, not a single blocking effect was there, not even in fast motions, which means my LED is OK.

Now the blunder or the prime reason behind this is that even videocon MPEG4 technology compresses its HD channels transmission bandwidth to accommodate more channels in order to save bandwidth.

Can't help on that as due to growing competition one has to add more channels to lead in the market. Yes 27 asli HD channels. Who says its not HD, yes they are HD but wrapped with blocking effect.

Sound in HD: Sound is good Stereo, but when one change it to Dolby digital in some channels its sound stops. Only stereo direct is applicable. Sound though is good, better, best in different HD channels, I have not tested on any 5.1 boxes.

But one thing I must say changing the sound language like from english, hindi, etc options on remote is weird. Press info, than yellow button then choose. I wonder if is their any short cut???

Box software: Quite fast the moment its installed, but in just 2 hrs of usage starts lagging a little bit. Though not seriously a matter of concern Its OK.

USB Feature: Not tested

Though I must say again that videocon HD quality is Best but not Excellent, far better than SD channels one will surely forget them once he/she starts viewing HD.

I wish the day when HD signals will be neat/core 0% compressed. And m sure that will left your eyelids remain opened automatically.

Finally SDHD 556-B: Thumbs up (OK) :tup
"Blocking effect is minimum but its their"

Reference sites to better understand:
What is the blockiness in my TV's picture? - CNET
http://www.cnet.com/news/when-hd-isnt-hd/

AS IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME OR ANYONE TO BUY EACH AND EVERY DTH CONNECTIONS LIKE AIRTEL, TATA SKY, RELIANCE, DISH AND CHECK THIS BLOCKINESS ISSUE IN HD CHANNELS.
I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF READERS OF THIS POST HAVING OTHER DTH CONNECTIONS OR SAME ALSO SHARE INFO. REGARDING THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM WITH THEIR REPLIES.

REMEMBER IF THEY SAYS ITS HD AND CHARGE EXTRA FOR HD, THEN IT SHOULD BE 100% PURE HD

Pictures:

aneesh120 said:
Great review with snaps i have the same stb too but SD quality looks good to me .

Thanks, yes SD channels quality is OK maybe like other DTH provider. Though what I said and even SD channel quality depends on its signal reception. ABP News on SD quality like I saw is very close to HD.

tapashk said:
what I have seen is that Its mostly depends on the broadcasting signal quality of the channel which matters most.

Well this is one of the finest review i have read in forums.. Thanx Tapash for this .. :tup
BTW AFAIK the picture quality doesnt effect according to Signal .. In Digital signals there is no effect of signals whether its 15% or 100% .. if the picture doesnt freeze then no issue and the Picture quaklity remains the same . the signals effect only in Analog broadcast .in the analog the signals matter most .... i have seen this from the day i get Digtal signals from many years back ..

BTW Can u check the Audio in DD Bharthi channel .. today itself D2H Enabled "AAC" in that channel.. just check for the differance in AQ

@ tapashk..Good and detailed review..very helpful with the info provided and last but not theleast...nice pics.

Excellent Review Bro

Enjoy The Videocon Once You Start Using You Won't Mind Those Minus Points

Vadirocks said:
Excellent Review Bro

Enjoy The Videocon Once You Start Using You Won't Mind Those Minus Points

absolutely Vadi bhai, as i browse somehow through airtel and tata sky even their user also suffer pixel or blocking problems, Yes definitely those minus point can be overlooked as we are just entering or getting habitual to HD telecast a big jump from SD and worth paying for and with Videocon its quite cheap also.

Now i realize My decision to go with Videcon was right.As if you are going to get the same HD picture quality like in Tskay, airtel or dish than why not pay less for the HD channels.:)

@Vadi I actually follow many of your reviews moment i want to searched for Videocon set top box to buy it for the first time...you are quite active and popular on most of the sites.
Thanks please keep up the good work of sharing knowledge and experience.

Hi, I m also get SD HD STB 556b today. Really great experience
Well done d2h. Thanks for suggest me for this. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock