will a full HD LED TV improve SD connection clarity?

d2h remote >> Settings >> User Settings >> TV settings >> you have 'HDTV' with setting option as '3' or '4'. is this the one you referring ?

'pillar box' let me chk in my Sony HDTV settings

NinadG said:
Still if you want to use SD for your TV then use 4:3 format or pillerbox setting for best picture.
Check if you can calibrate your HDTV....

Many LCD tvs are having 4:3 setting in picture menu. I think thats best but need to check about screen burnin & whether you are comfortable viewing black bars.
I doubt pillerbox setting avaiability on your SD STB. I dont know about D2H STB settings but many STBs are having TV format options, check whether it works.

ur right, for SD box, if I set 4/3, it shows 'letterbox','cropped' options not 'pillerbox'

'Pillerbox' is available if we set 16/9, but in 16/9 setting SD channels appear more blurred/stretched:dodgy

NinadG said:
Many LCD tvs are having 4:3 setting in picture menu. I think thats best but need to check about screen burnin & whether you are comfortable viewing black bars.
I doubt pillerbox setting avaiability on your SD STB. I dont know about D2H STB settings but many STBs are having TV format options, check whether it works.

I think for 16:9 tv setting pillerbox stb setting works better...

@Thilalangadi: Since you have invested on HDTV, it is must that you update to HD STB. With your SD Box and RCA connections you will not get best SD picture. Get a HD box and connect with HDMI and you will see considerable improvement in SD picture as well.

Set up your STB as follows: Settings>Box settings>...>TV Settings-16:9>Pillar box. That will give the best possible picture.

Calibrate your TV. Each input needs to be calibrated separately as no two input (to TV) devices are same. Search a little on TV Calibration and you will find lot of info on that. Display Calibration is a good place to start.

RCA cables are appropriate to use with HDTVs. They cannot transmit beyond 576p picture which will look blurred when scaled.

On the other hand, if you use the d2h HD STB through HDMI cable, the picture transmitted will be 1080i even for SD channels. No, Im not saying SD channels will look like HD channels!! Since the STB does some scaling of picture the picture quality is much better.

Many users see a significant difference in SD picture quality on HDMI cable. Check this thread Good Picture quality of SD channels in HD box

thilalangadi said:
'Pillerbox' is available if we set 16/9

That's normal......when we specify our tv as 16:9, then we have to mention how the sd (4:3) video should be displayed in this tv

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock