Breaking Airtel DTH has increased Lock In Period For A-La-carte to 30 days

What's your take on the 30 Days lock in period?

• Total voters
Worst move. DBR is perfect. They should do away with immediately.

Airtel Digital TV has both DBR and Upfront variant of some channels/top ups / services. Incase customer opts for upfront variant then total cost is deducted instantly depending on whether u have chosen monthly / 6 months / 12 months option has been . For DBR variant deduction happens on daily basis

I think they have implemented this. On 29 Before purchasing Sony SAB as A-la-carte my due date was 14 December 2023 . Today I deactivated it and it is showing validity till 28 November 2023. I will wait till tomorrow to check if this is a glitch otherwise will (try to) raise a request.

You are not raising a valid point. Validity decreasing is directly related to Channels or Packs u opt for. If u add a channel to ur account then system will take into account current balance available in ur DTH account and divide it by DBR amount of concerned channels / packs to arrive at the due date. Once u add or drop a channel there is corresponding change in validity.

If at all there is a lock in period it is just that u won't be able to drop the concerned channel before the fixed period but after that when u drop the channel then again ur validity will changes

I think they have implemented this. On 29 Before purchasing Sony SAB as A-la-carte my due date was 14 December 2023 . Today I deactivated it and it is showing validity till 28 November 2023. I will wait till tomorrow to check if this is a glitch otherwise will (try to) raise a request.
You got confused, it is working as expected. The due date always changes based on your pack composition, like if you opt for JSAT or drop it, the validity will change significantly even if the price was Rs 1 only because it takes into account full price which will be paid after 1 month.

Tata Sky (now Play) never had long lock in period policy as far as I remember. They even allow to drop long duration packs so hopefully, they won't increase the lock in period. Long lock in periods might help in revenue for the short term but it is a Ninja Technique to lose customers.

Airtel Digital TV has both DBR and Upfront variant of some channels/top ups / services. Incase customer opts for upfront variant then total cost is deducted instantly depending on whether u have chosen monthly / 6 months / 12 months option has been . For DBR variant deduction happens on daily basis
Bro, all a la carte channels are charged at DBR in Airtel. Only for service channels and top-up combos like T20 combo English, amount is deducted upfront for 30 days. I don't know if Airtel CC can activate an a la carte channel for 30 days upfront. But when I do it myself via app, call, message etc., it's always DBR. Now their plan to deduct the amount upfront for 30days is not right. Or atleast they should refund the balance amount if we deactivate the channel like Sun Direct does. This is again an unnecessary task and DBR is always the best way to charge for an a la carte channel. 30 days lock in is not right.

You got confused, it is working as expected. The due date always changes based on your pack composition, like if you opt for JSAT or drop it, the validity will change significantly even if the price was Rs 1 only because it takes into account full price which will be paid after 1 month.

Tata Sky (now Play) never had long lock in period policy as far as I remember. They even allow to drop long duration packs so hopefully, they won't increase the lock in period. Long lock in periods might help in revenue for the short term but it is a Ninja Technique to lose customers.
Bro you got confused I m talking about Airtel not Tata Play. And as of Tata Play there is 1 Day Lock in Period If you activate your A la carte channel today and and drops after 5 minutes then also 1 Day charge of channel will be deducted. Tata Play DO NOT REFUND the same day.

You are not raising a valid point. Validity decreasing is directly related to Channels or Packs u opt for. If u add a channel to ur account then system will take into account current balance available in ur DTH account and divide it by DBR amount of concerned channels / packs to arrive at the due date. Once u add or drop a channel there is corresponding change in validity.

If at all there is a lock in period it is just that u won't be able to drop the concerned channel before the fixed period but after that when u drop the channel then again ur validity will changes
Bro before few days My validity was 23 December 2023 (UTTAM UDP till 15 October 2023 & approx. 300/- post UTTAM UDP expiry).
In last week I have Subscribed to Sony SAB & National Geographic HD few times.
And today I have only UTTAM UDP, pack only & no other Active Service, channel or bouquet. Still my Validity Drops down to 28 November 23.
I don't know why...

I don't think Airtel Digital TV will implement such a policy nor do i think it is allowed under NTO Rules.

This might be some error/bug which is causing 30 day lock in period message to appear on their dealer website, even on their customer app/website sometimes wrong information pops up. Please wait until tomorrow for confirmation
I forgot the fellow bro name but he if i am remember correctly 1 month ago said same thing about he faced or saw lock in period while he was tried to change top-up he posted that in adtv genaral chat thread and then you and i said that it happens due to app glitch
Yes bro i saw in app some service channel showed upfront top-up

Last edited:

My situation after saw new packs started roll out by adtv
And probably lock in period move next

Mr Bean Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock