Seeking Help Airtel Xstream Android tv box - garbage tier?

trichola

Reaction score
So I opted for Airtel Black few months ago and got their "Xstream" android tv box (3.0) which looks like this.

free-installation-15-ott-apps-only-set-top-box-1-month-bengali-original-imagzntgxj36nfbz.jpeg

We had tataplay earlier, and I feel the channels quality is inferior on airtel inspite of having hd channels.
But the android tv box overall feels sluggish, restarts frequently when changing channels or apps and the colors are so messed up with or without hdr.
The apps too feels slow, inspite of having 2gb ram. I even moved most of the apps to a good sdcard and made sure there is enough space in internal storage.

Does anyone feel the same if you are using these xstream boxes?
Let me know if you have any tips to make it better, if at all such tips exist. I have a Samsung 4k tv, if that helps to identify the problem.

Very first you con Try is disable some applications (apps) which you don't require, including system apps like calender ect.., so the box will become little best in speedy access of apps.

HRD my be early version, my be you can disable and see.

If your box recently firmware updated, try reset it to factory reset.

Last edited:
Very first you con Try is disable some applications (apps) which you don't require, including system apps like calender ect.., so the box will become little best in speedy access of apps.

HRD my be early version, my be you can disable and see.

If your box recently firmware updated, try reset it to factory reset.
I have uninstalled all the unnecessary apps, put a 32gb sd card and moved few used apps to sd card and made sure only the necessary 'system' apps stay on internal drive. Still the restart happens unnecessarily when changing channels a little fast.
This restart also happens when watching some ott content and we either do forward or backward on that video.

Regarding colors messing up, I've played with so many settings, hdr off and on, color space and resolution change, but still things seem way off. Tataplay general dth felt slightly better.

One thing again I recently started noticing is, if we change to a hd channel, for few seconds to minute, the frame rate becomes choppy and then adjusts slowly.

Regarding reset - Is it just straightforward or do I have to call the dth guys again for setup? Box is on latest known firmware. There is an 'application reset' option. But my question is whether I have to again select satellite versions and input some data to get it connected to dth services.

I feel airtel gave us terrible hardware, just my opinion.

Regarding reset - Is it just straightforward or do I have to call the dth guys again for setup? Box is on latest known firmware. There is an 'application reset' option. But my question is whether I have to again select satellite versions and input some data to get it connected to dth services.
You can safely reset. You don’t need to call DTH guys to connect to the DTH services.

Coming to the issues you are facing, these hybrid boxes in general have this type of issues. Regular HD boxes are much more responsive and bug free compared to these. Unfortunately, the price we are paying to get these hybrid boxes is too low to expect any better output. Concept wise it’s all rosy, but in execution it fails terribly!

You can safely reset. You don’t need to call DTH guys to connect to the DTH services.
Will try reset and see if there's any improvement.

Coming to the issues you are facing, these hybrid boxes in general have this type of issues. Regular HD boxes are much more responsive and bug free compared to these. Unfortunately, the price we are paying to get these hybrid boxes is too low to expect any better output. Concept wise it’s all rosy, but in execution it fails terribly!
Hmmm.. I now understand there's no point to keep using this box. I was mainly interested as it was android but looks like it's terrible in performance.

I am having Airtel XStream 1.0 box manufactured by Technicolor and facing no such issues....picture + audio quality, apps, navigation, features all working perfectly.

Maybe ur box is faulty hence get it changed ....also do check if u have installed some app from 3rd party sources or some other action which may have caused box to have such issues bcoz of compatibility issues.

Regarding Audio-Video mismatch for 1 or 2 seconds when u change channels, it is not any error but observed on all boxes which support inbuilt recording feature as STB automatically starts saving live content in buffer for viewer to be able to rewind/pause/fast forward it. Set buffer time to zero in Recording Settings on STB to address this concern

Tried application reset and factory reset, both options. Software version didn't change though.
Everything else stays same. Now it's a little more sluggish compared to earlier, maybe software is still setting up or something. Will try again after few hours. I just put it on as it is instead of switching off.

Regarding Audio-Video mismatch for 1 or 2 seconds when u change channels, it is not any error but observed on all boxes which support inbuilt recording feature as STB automatically starts saving live content in buffer for viewer to be able to rewind/pause/fast forward it. Set buffer time to zero in Recording Settings on STB to address this concern
Checked the recording settings, it is set to "disabled" state. I didn't use recording feature till now, as I saw in the app that it is again paid service.

Tried application reset and factory reset, both options. Software version didn't change though.
Everything else stays same. Now it's a little more sluggish compared to earlier, maybe software is still setting up or something. Will try again after few hours. I just put it on as it is instead of switching off.

Checked the recording settings, it is set to "disabled" state. I didn't use recording feature till now, as I saw in the app that it is again paid service.
Please post snaps of ur STB alongwith TV setup. ..also post a short video of the issues being faced by you while watching TV or Apps else just by mentioning the problems we cannot help u find a complete solution as based on this it is hard to properly figure out the real cause .... Elaboration via video would surely let us better understand the issue

Please post snaps of ur STB alongwith TV setup. ..also post a short video of the issues being faced by you while watching TV or Apps else just by mentioning the problems we cannot help u find a complete solution as based on this it is hard to properly figure out the real cause .... Elaboration via video would surely let us better understand the issue
Sure, it takes some time to get comparision video/pictures with tv natively vs with airtel box. I will gather the data and get back to you on this.

One question, I heard airtel is launching another box soon. If we have to get the new box, do we have to buy it or airtel provides upgrade option?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock