Comparision b/w D2H HD DVR & TataSky HD DVR

me_saket said:
if u want to say 22 hd channel is advantage for chooing wrong.

then u must be missing.

u can take d2h HD box without recording and anjoy same those 22 channel.

u cant beat TS+hd box with d2h just for channel count.

all feature of ts recording box is overriding d2h recording box.

thread is specific to DVR STB, which cant be tilted to d2h by giving extra credit to channel count(which keeps on varying)

like d2h started with 9-10 hd channel and reached to 22, next ts will reach 30, at that time, all recording feature including harware qaility/UI software cant be changed suddenly.

Absolutely agree, specially on bold part :)

prasaadpotdar said:
yes. I emphasised on recorder only. it is true that you can't beat Tata sky recorder. no other dish operator can achieve their standards. all we are expecting that if videocon enhances their box quality then sky will be the limit.

same way

we all expect GSAT10 to be operational and ts would add atlest 10-12 hd channel immeditatly to beat other DTH

what proof do u have that gsat 10 is in good working condition and tata sky will add chs from it. tata sky people clearly say that we have no info from which satelliete we wil add channels and when we will add chs, this shows that there is something wrong with gsat 10 and no new chs are coming

I agree with dino, but i will not get sureity till someone either isro or ts declared gsat1:) as waste.

Hi this is my first post here. I have changed from TataSky+ to Videocon D2H DVR last week.

After 1 week, I can tell you that I regret switching from Tata Sky and am considering moving back to Tata Sky although I have paid 1 year of platinum subscription to Videcon HD.

Note that this review is DVR centric.

Background:
==========

I am a "power" DVR user, i.e. I rarely watch live TV, I usually record my favorite shows, serials, movies etc. and watch it when I am free. I also record a lot of cricket matches.

I have had Tata Sky for 5+ years. Like everyone else, I got tired of waiting for Tata Sky to add more HD channels so went with Videocon since it had the most HD channels when my latest annual Tata Sky subscription expired.

Reasons:
=========

The points mentioned by the original poster are relevant. I would like to add:

- Serial Link: The videocon dvr is advertised as "auto serial" recording but really does not have that feature. I have the latest loader software (version 44) as on July 26, 2013, but the DVR does not support the serial link. I sent an email to videocon on FB but no reply. Customer Care doesnt know about this either. Tata Sky has this nifty feature where if I click on a serial to record, it gives me the option to select either the episode or the entire serial. With videocon, I have to go into the TV guide daily to choose my shows. Also, I forget if I am recording weekly shows (for ex: Apprentice Asia every Friday). With TataSky it happened automatically.

- TV Guide: The TV guide takes forever to load. Also, not all channels on the screen get loaded. Usually the channel that you are most interested in does not get loaded. After 5 minutes I give up. You cant use the DVR effectively if you cant see whats playing easily enough!

- DVR Forwarding : One of the advantages of watching recorded shows or cricket matches on DVR is that you can forward through advertisements or the bowler walking back to his mark in cricket. Videocon has this annoying tool bar that occupies about 25% of the screen when you are forwarding, blocking the picture. Also, when you resume, it doesnt start from where you stopped forwarding. It jumps a little forward or a little back, depending on the alignment of the stars :) Also, the forward itself is not linear...you cant see things forwarding smoothly like you would in a VCR or TataSky...you have to guess when to stop.

- Jump: After forwarding from 2x through 32x, Tatasky has this cool feature of jumping 15 minutes ahead. This is useful when you are trying to skip big sections (say a lunch break in a cricket match). Videocon doesnt have this and it is annoying to go to the recorded time of interest.

- Recorded Programs: You have to press about half a dozen different keys to go to your recorded programs to watch your program of interest. TatSky has 1 power key on its remote to take you there. I also couldnt tell if Videocon DVR began its recorded program from where you stopped watching last time. Tata sky has the option of resuming where you last stopped (I watch a hindi movie over 3 or 4 different viewings, so I find this feature very useful).

- Name of Recorded programs: When I choose the movie or show to be recorded, the DVR post recording, loses the names. So instead of "Revenge" I get "Sneak Peek" which was 15 minutes ago. Similarly instead of another show "One Tree Hill" my DVR shows that I have recorded another program "Sneak Peek" from 10:00-11:00 PM also. Now I have about 15 sneak peaks after 1 week of recording and I have no idea what is what. So Videocon DVR does not retain the name of the show you recorded, making it difficult to identify and watch shows again out of a big repository of 500GB of taped stuff. Tatasky works flawlessly on this. Similarly, the time based recording stopped about an hour in for no reason on Videcon. Never had such issues with TS.

- Remote Control, Non-Intuitive UI etc: I read these reviews too before I bought my Videocon but didnt realize it would be this irritating, so ignored these warnings. The weird layout of remote control, the non=intuitive UI to reach your recorded programs, the difficulty with which to navigate to your recorded shows, or to identify your recorded stuff etc. makes me miss TS more then ever.

Summary:

While I hated Tata sky for being expensive, for not giving me the best value for money, not giving me enough HD channels, I have stopped watching TV mostly with Videocon. (Maybe that is a blessing in disguise ;) I regret switching to Videocon since the HD DVR does nothing for me.

If at version 44 this is the UI and software of the DVR, then I will check with Videocon again after a couple of years. By that time, Tata Sky might have actually fixed their transponder nightmare and added more HD channels with less compression.

If you watch your TV mostly via DVR, then Tatasky is the way to go.

I wrote this, since am guessing many folks like myself are considering moving to Videocon for the better HD availability. For those not interested in DVR, your opinions would differ.

Happy Viewing!

if want to compare,compare adtv dvr with ts+hd.D2h will be nowhere in comparison with ts.:lol

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock