Breaking Disney Shutting Down 18 TV Channels in Southeast Asia

vicky 1213

Reaction score
Source sports business

Mod Note :Attach source link, along with few lines summery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only sports but 18 out of 22 channels in Eastern and Southeast Asia will be shutting down on 1 October. Only Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Star Chinese Channel and Star Chinese Movies will remain on air.

In Latin America the Fox channels were rebranded to Star, while in Asia they are shutting down altogether.
Many of the channels set to be shuttered joined the group less than three years ago as part of Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox. They include: Fox, Fox Crime, Fox Life and FX; movie channels Fox Action Movies, Fox Family Movies, Fox Movies and Star Movies China; sports channel Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2, Fox Sports 3, Star Sports 1, Star Sports 2; kids channel Disney Channel and Disney Junior; factual services Nat Geo People and SCM Legend.

Last edited:
Not only sports but 18 out of 22 channels in Eastern and Southeast Asia will be shutting down on 1 October. Only Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Star Chinese Channel and Star Chinese Movies will remain on air.

In Latin America the Fox channels were rebranded to Star, while in Asia they are shutting down altogether.

In all asia or south asia
They mention Star sports 1 and 2

they run star sports channels in China & South Korea.
Using the old logo:
Star_Sports_2.png

Don’t know what will happen to the Star and Fox channels in the MENA region or the Indian Star channels in Southeast Asia.

Last edited:
I think it's clear indication of Disney Plus going Aggressive in Southeast Asia, But it won't effect in india, indian television Viewership too Big in World.

Yes, in India trends r for simultaneous growth for ott and linear. Though they r likely to make some changes here too but will b minor ones. I m also expecting IPL back on sony in 2023 as Star / disney unlikely to pay exorbitant price for rights and Sony will b able to grab them. If this happens few Sports chs will b shut

Yes, in India trends r for simultaneous growth for ott and linear. Though they r likely to make some changes here too but will b minor ones. I m also expecting IPL back on sony in 2023 as Star / disney unlikely to pay exorbitant price for rights and Sony will b able to grab them. If this happens few Sports chs will b shut
Probably Disney will again grab IPL All Media Rights, advantage is Global bid and K Madhavan is 2.0 Version of Uday Shankar.

If Disney is looking to cut down on Cricket in India, the obvious choice will be ICC rights. They posted huge losses during ICC World Cup 2019. And they are definitely positioning Hotstar as the home of IPL, NO WAY IN HELL they are gonna be dropping that. IPL is the main talking point at almost every Disney+/ Disney events.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock