Breaking Disney Shutting Down 18 TV Channels in Southeast Asia

If Disney is looking to cut down on Cricket in India, the obvious choice will be ICC rights. They posted huge losses during ICC World Cup 2019. And they are definitely positioning Hotstar as the home of IPL, NO WAY IN HELL they are gonna be dropping that. IPL is the main talking point at almost every Disney+/ Disney events.

Wait n Watch. I m not saying that they will b uninterested in IPL, just that they won't pay over the top price like star did under Fox. Disney takes calculated steps or risks. There r plenty of other cricket anf non cricket rights which can prove beneficial. Also who knows if they grab. Fifa and wwe

I m also expecting IPL back on sony in 2023 as Star / disney unlikely to pay exorbitant price for rights and Sony will b able to grab them. If this happens few Sports chs will b shut
Sony bid just for India, Disney bid for Global media rights and BCCI always favor of Star.
But Disney boss takes final call
No Disney boss itself said IPL Big property for Disney + Hotstar in New Subscribers addition.

Wait n Watch. I m not saying that they will b uninterested in IPL, just that they won't pay over the top price like star did under Fox. Disney takes calculated steps or risks. There r plenty of other cricket anf non cricket rights which can prove beneficial. Also who knows if they grab. Fifa and wwe
Why are assuming that Star Overpaid? I don't ever get that. I had explained tens of times that the difference between Star's bid and next aggregate bid is just around 500 crs ie., Star's bid: Rs 16,348 crs and next aggregated bid is Rs 15,819.51 crs.

To put things in perspective, Sony bid only for Indian TV rights is Rs 11,050 crore.

Difference Between Disney/Star and Sony is Star Acquisition Rights are Hot Revenue Generated in India and Sony Acquisition most of Rights unwanted except Indian tour matches, if you look at Sony have so many cricket boards Rights but these will not Generating any Revenue for Broadcaster Sony.

I don't understand what is the use of star sports first
Only for showing highlights
It was launched as FTA channel. It lost its purpose due to NTO. They should have left it as DD Free Dish exclusive. Missed a trick there imo.

Why are assuming that Star Overpaid? I don't ever get that. I had explained tens of times that the difference between Star's bid and next aggregate bid is just around 500 crs ie., Star's bid: Rs 16,348 crs and next aggregated bid is Rs 15,819.51 crs.

To put things in perspective, Sony bid only for Indian TV rights is Rs 11,050 crore.

By Overpaid i did not mean comparing diff between them and next bidder but whatever was standalone or global right price. Bidding went to high level bcoz star india kept on pushing paddle, sony followed upto a limit. This is unlikely to happen under disney

By Overpaid i did not mean comparing diff between them and next bidder but whatever was standalone or global right price. Bidding went to high level bcoz star india kept on pushing paddle, sony followed upto a limit. This is unlikely to happen under disney
It's a closed auction dude. No one knows how much the others are quoting.

Also. For your point that Sony quoted at correct price, Sony 11k cr. for Just INDIAN TV Rights, Facebook quoted around 4K cr for Indian Digital rights. Star India got Global rights for 16.3k crores. How exactly they over paid it? They paid 1.3k cr extra for securing global exclusive rights.

Idk why you are so adament to prove you are right? If you are mistaken pls agree and move on.

Last edited:
It's a closed auction dude. No one knows how much the others are quoting.

Also. For your point that Sony quoted at correct price, Sony 11k cr. for Just INDIAN TV Rights, Facebook quoted around 4K cr for Indian Digital rights. Star India got Global rights for 16.3k crores. How exactly they over paid it? They paid 1.3k cr extra for securing global exclusive rights.

Idk why you are so adament to prove you are right? If you are mistaken pls agree and move on.

Please read my post again. You are misunderstanding my statement. Be it tv, digital or global rights... Price went sky high. It may b closed bidding but sony knew that price went high

unlikely to pay exorbitant price for rights and Sony will b able to grab them. If this happens few Sports chs will b shut
Price went sky high. It may b closed bidding but sony knew that price went high
Bro do you think Sony will grab Media Rights, even I don't want see monopoly of Disney and All Big Cricket media Rights to single TV network, But Sony after losing IPL, even they lost BCCI and ICC Media Rights too, after losing All Hot Cricket Media Rights they Acquired Unwanted Media Rights.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock