Breaking DTH/Cable TV Set Top Box Portability to be a reality finally by Dec 2019: TRAI

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 61
  • Views: Views 14,054
It is better to keep TRAI away from DTH issues, for the sake of consumers. TRAI will mess the issue and finally the consumers will be the sufferers. If at all TRAI wants to do some remedy to the betroyal they did in the new tariff, TRAI can make the STB out of DTH companies. Like mobile industry, DTH companies can sell only sim card and services. The STBs can be purchased from the open market according to individual needs.

It is better to keep TRAI away from DTH issues, for the sake of consumers. TRAI will mess the issue and finally the consumers will be the sufferers. If at all TRAI wants to do some remedy to the betroyal they did in the new tariff, TRAI can make the STB out of DTH companies. Like mobile industry, DTH companies can sell only sim card and services. The STBs can be purchased from the open market according to individual needs.
Yes, exactly. It is quite certain that TRAI will mess up something and I am definitely sure that DTH operators will stop subsiding their STB. TRAI must be as away from it as it can.

Reliance Jio is strongly against the idea of set top box Interoperability. Due to similar reasons like Tata Sky it said that this is impractical and unreasonable.

• Not feasible due to wide differences in terms of functionality like compression, encryption, resolution and middleware also.

• MSO use RF signal while DTH can use IF frequencies.

• High cost of new connection. Currently companies provide boxes at subsidized rates which won't be possible with interoperable box.

• All existing boxes have to be replaced with new box which will lead to huge amount of e-waste.

• Single standardized mechanism will be potentially prone to hacking.

Reliance Jio says STB interoperability is impractical and unreasonable | DreamDTH

Reliance Jio is strongly against the idea of set top box Interoperability. Due to similar reasons like Tata Sky it said that this is impractical and unreasonable.

• Not feasible due to wide differences in terms of functionality like compression, encryption, resolution and middleware also.

• High cost of new connection. Currently companies provide boxes at subsidized rates which won't be possible with interoperable box.

• All existing boxes have to be replaced with new box which will lead to huge amount of e-waste.

Reliance Jio says STB interoperability is impractical and unreasonable | DreamDTH
Jio is not in the business of DTH. They shouldn't butt into this.
Interoperability is a must. I'm still waiting for interoperable SIMS (or e-sims) universally for mobile operators too.

Let the box be available in open market. Once you buy a box, and s sim card from DTH operator, while activation, let the box gets updated with unique software provided by the DTH by OTA. In this case we can get better box with better features from the box manufacturer, like 1) OTT apps, 2) 4K pass thro, 3) USB audio video play, 4) Free FM channels etc. DTH operators should be banned from supplying custom made boxes. Users will get freedom from the DTH operators.

Jio is not in the business of DTH. They shouldn't butt into this.
Interoperability is a must. I'm still waiting for interoperable SIMS (or e-sims) universally for mobile operators too.
Jio has MSO license and major shareholder in Hathway & Den cable networks.

Jio has MSO license and major shareholder in Hathway & Den cable networks.
I see. None of them are DTH operators, I think. So, I was confused.
This makes more sense.
They should still stay out of it. Interoperability will be great for customers.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock