Breaking DTH/Cable TV Set Top Box Portability to be a reality finally by Dec 2019: TRAI

• Thread starter Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 61
  • Views Views: Views 14,489
I see. None of them are DTH operators, I think. So, I was confused.
This makes more sense.
They should still stay out of it. Interoperability will be great for customers.
Jio wants more revenue than DTH through broadband. So, they have interested in Cable business for last mile access to Apartments and gated house complexes.

Reliance Jio is strongly against the idea of set top box Interoperability. Due to similar reasons like Tata Sky it said that this is impractical and unreasonable.

• Not feasible due to wide differences in terms of functionality like compression, encryption, resolution and middleware also.

• MSO use RF signal while DTH can use IF frequencies.

• High cost of new connection. Currently companies provide boxes at subsidized rates which won't be possible with interoperable box.

• All existing boxes have to be replaced with new box which will lead to huge amount of e-waste.

• Single standardized mechanism will be potentially prone to hacking.

Reliance Jio says STB interoperability is impractical and unreasonable | DreamDTH
That's True.All reasons are true and valid

Let the box be available in open market. Once you buy a box, and s sim card from DTH operator, while activation, let the box gets updated with unique software provided by the DTH by OTA. In this case we can get better box with better features from the box manufacturer, like 1) OTT apps, 2) 4K pass thro, 3) USB audio video play, 4) Free FM channels etc. DTH operators should be banned from supplying custom made boxes. Users will get freedom from the DTH operators.
Different DTH has different softwares which are incompatible to each other and having different functionality and different UI's
To implement your words STB should be of one manufacturer so that OTA updates can be provided according to Service providers having same firmware
I don't think that All DTH operators will agree to import their STB from a single manufacturer

Last edited:
while activation, let the box gets updated with unique software provided by the DTH by OTA.
How is that even possible. If you purchase a mobile device from samsung and insert a sim from airtel, will airtel provide you the os and ota updates or samsung will? Even if this is done, they have to open the source codes and apis to these third party vendors like airtel/voda and share with them the information that which handset using which sim and latch each device individually to the third party operators servers!! This point of yours doesn't make any kind of sense.

Whatever TRAI wants to do no one liking it.. Now they want to run Tata Sky on Airtel's set stop box or vice versa.. Why would any operator accept it? They will charge atleast 1000 Rs for taking new connection even if you use your existing set top box which is about 1500 for a new connection and not that much expensive. Very few people change their connection every year.

Trai should not teach them how to run their business.. Even choosing channels one by one also impacting broadcasters buisness and now more expensive than before. Very Bad. Very Bad. I am not supporting it.:no2:

Whatever TRAI wants to do no one liking it.. Now they want to run Tata Sky on Airtel's set stop box or vice versa.. Why would any operator accept it? They will charge atleast 1000 Rs for taking new connection even if you use your existing set top box which is about 1500 for a new connection and not that much expensive. Very few people change their connection every year.

Trai should not teach them how to run their business.. Even choosing channels one by one also impacting broadcasters buisness and now more expensive than before. Very Bad. Very Bad. I am not supporting it.:no2:
Broadcasters are making more money now due to greed.

Trai working very hardly to make DTH operators and channel owners more n more profitable. Trai ready to squeeze common people to achieve their goal

I am happy to hear only smartcard change is required to change the connection. But all dth are operating from different satilite so re alignment is needed so I want trai to take steps that re alignment cost is included in smat card purchase only
Old news..Not implemented by TRAI..Still many MSOs cable operators have not implemented new TRAI rules wef 1.3.2020 NTO2 till date...

Back
Top Bottom