DDF Exclusive General Discussion, News, Updates And Comparison Of Various DTH Brands

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 508
  • Views: Views 60,934
I have a couple of questions:

1) Is satellite TV capable of transmitting 4K pictures? (I am assuming yes, theoretically at least). I am reading elsewhere on the web (from unverified sources) that it would require huge bandwidths even for a single channel to transmit 4K signals over air. How feasible is this for our Indian satellite TV operators to implement, even if it is for a single channel?

2) Do the current Set Top Boxes that have already been provided by our DTH operators (including hybrid streaming boxes which can stream 4K over the Internet) have the hardware to receive 4K signals over air?

@Siva, I would like you to join in the discussion, please.
Even major broadcasters in US and UK have not started 4K broadcasting yet....looks like HD is the end of broadcast resolution.

4K channels can be a marketing tool for JioFiber and JioCinema. I don't see any benefit Jio/Viacom can get by putting it on a DTH. They are more of a Internet company than a TV company. They are in some odd cable business too. Don't think cable has capacity to hold a 4K channels.

I maybe wrong but i strongly feel that for FIFA World World Cup Viacom18 will provide a 4K Feed to major DTH Platforms. We may see a service channel getting added for same before start of the event.
Also Sports18 HD likely to b added alongside this.

I am anticipating that some partnership or merger might be happening between 2 leading DTH operators , this might be accompanied by sharing of satellite and other resources. We might see gradual migration happening for it to new satellite. Also as new RIO agreement is signed with various broadcasters, pending channels will b added on Tata Play and Airtel Digital TV....for dish d2h i think they will wait till internal disputes get sorted out. Airtel Digital TV viewers should keep a watch on softwares updates which r likely to include changes like new transponder / satellite addition in system settings, roll out of 4 digit LCN and therafter even keep an eye on scrolls for LCN realignment.

Some of u were stating that for different DTH Platforms common channels cannot be streamed on designated satellites. I would like to tell u that it is very much possible...1stly multiple encryptions will b added on required channels so that concerned channels can v accessed by viewers of respective platforms, 2ndly individual DTH operator can block/allow visibility of desired channels with the help of bouquet ID feature which is available with the backend end and enabled on all the boxes box thru the software and lastly subscription management will continue to be separately managed for each of the platforms which includes RIO agreements & so will the LCN Numbers and other such things. As far as i remember already in new regulations brought by MIB it is clearly mentioned that even incase of acquisition or merger still for certain period all data has to b stored separately.

Most important thing which has been introduced in the new guidelines is that foreign tv channels cannot be made available as service channels unless they have valid tv channel licence from MIB... So this is likely to affect transmission/availability of channels like Hits, Shorts TV in India. Also for Indian Origin companies who want to launch their content as service channels on various platforms, for the same a fixed fee needs to paid. Biggest change which has been made is with regards to exclusivity of these service channel, a company can introduce a service channel only on a single platform....if say Tata Play provides Shorts TV then Airtel Digital TV cannot transmit it and vice versa.
I am sure DTH and Cable operators will challenge these rules in courts / TDSAT

Few years back too certain changes were brought about (don't exactly remember if these were recommendations or formal rules) wherein number of service channels were capped to certain % of total channels carried on a platform.

Already service channels r barred from airing ads
Till now not added sports 18 hd u tell 4k I think not possible hd channel too

4K - Viacom Ready To Give But Who Is Ready To Show??? Not Even Single DTH Ready For That, Due To Transponders Shortage,,,

Bandwidth is not an issue as a 4K channel would take same space in HEVC format as a HD channel takes in MPEG4 format. More so this bandwidth will b occupied only for event duration and later will b again freed. All Hybrid / Smart boxes of DTH operators support HEVC compression format

Bandwidth is not an issue as a 4K channel would take same space in HEVC format as a HD channel takes in MPEG4 format. More so this bandwidth will b occupied only for event duration and later will b again freed. All Hybrid / Smart boxes of DTH operators support HEVC compression format

DTH Says Under HEVC Compression A 4K Channel Requires 12 - 14 Mbps Data Transfer

Where As It's Only 2 Mbps For SD Under Same Compression

That's Why Still Travelxp 4K HDR Under IPTV Segment On Tata Play

Or 4K channel from Viacom18 will be also exclusive to Tata Play IPTV.

DTH Says Under HEVC Compression A 4K Channel Requires 12 - 14 Mbps Data Transfer

Where As It's Only 2 Mbps For SD Under Same Compression

That's Why Still Travelxp 4K HDR Under IPTV Segment On Tata Play

HEVC compression format requires half the bandwidth to run a channel in same quality as compared to what will needed using MPEG4 technology. So if a HD channel requires 5 to 8 Mbps bandwidth (depending on resolution of channel and quality maintained by operators) using MPEG 4 , same can b achieved within 2.5 to 4 Mbps bandwidth if HEVC technology is used.

Now a 4K channel requires twice the bandwidth of a HD channel hence as all hybrid/smart boxes of various DTH r HEVC enabled hence they can provide a 4K channel in equal bandwidth as is required for running a HD channel in MPEG4 on their platform

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock