Got Retention offer from TATA SKY

What TRAI chief says in an interview is not valid. What is printed in the notification in the Gazette has legal validity.

"Provided that it shall be mandatory for all the distributors of television channels to either discontinue or modify all their existing packs, plans or bouquets in compliance with the provisions of these regulations after 31st January, 2019."

TRAI has not said that existing packs can be continued as they are. It has said that existing packs have to be modified or canceled on Jan 31. So, if you think buying a 1-year pack will give you protection for 1 year, you are sorely mistaken and a nasty surprise is in store for you on Feb 1.

If you're wondering where it has said it, it is in Gazette Notification -- https://main.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/Regulations28122018_0.pdf

Existing packs are monthly pack, add-on and ALC, not LDP

TRAI chief interview superceds that.

He clearly said LDP is a long term contract between DPO and customer and hence customer can discontinue LDP only if he wishes.

@Siva bro , @Choco7905 bro

Last edited:
TRAI chief interview superceds that.

He clearly said LDP is a long term contract between DPO and customer and hence customer can discontinue LDP only if he wishes.

@Siva bro , @Choco7905 bro
Watch this TRAI awareness video from 1:28 your question is answered. This video keeps running on Info channel. @goodlord

Last edited:
Interesting. But if Tata Sky cancels the LDP and puts you on another plan, you can't take this video as evidence. What matters is what has been printed in the official gazette of India. And that is very clear -- all plans have to be canceled or modified. Which means that Tata Sky can modify the LDP to add different charges such as network charge, GST, pay channel price etc..

It is not possible for Tata Sky to not do so, because the broadcasters will demand their share of pay channel prices from Tata Sky whether or not the guy is on an LDP or not. So, Tata Sky has to pay. It cannot say -- sorry boss, I can't pay you 22 rupees for your channel because the guy's on an LDP. The Broadcaster will win any case against Tata Sky if that happens. Educational videos have lower priority compared to the notified law.

Watch this TRAI awareness video from 1:28 your question is answered. This video keeps running on Info channel. @goodlord

Realistically speaking, what will happen is this -- Tata Sky will modify your plan to make sure that it makes continued economic sense for them to provide you those channels. That means that if some channels have to dropped, they will be. So technically, they can continue to provide you a 'yearly plan', even if it's not the same yearly plan as you signed up for.

Doesn't matter what they tell you. If the law asks them to give 22 rupees to Star for a channel, then they have to give that. And if they are forced to do that, then they will modify your pack instead of suffering the loss.

Existing LDP opted before 29th Dec 2018.

BTW TS has said that they wont touch my pack without my consent. So i can complaint to TRAI if my LDP is changed without my consent

Interesting. But if Tata Sky cancels the LDP and puts you on another plan, you can't take this video as evidence. What matters is what has been printed in the official gazette of India. And that is very clear -- all plans have to be canceled or modified. Which means that Tata Sky can modify the LDP to add different charges such as network charge, GST, pay channel price etc..

It is not possible for Tata Sky to not do so, because the broadcasters will demand their share of pay channel prices from Tata Sky whether or not the guy is on an LDP or not. So, Tata Sky has to pay. It cannot say -- sorry boss, I can't pay you 22 rupees for your channel because the guy's on an LDP. The Broadcaster will win any case against Tata Sky if that happens. Educational videos have lower priority compared to the notified law.
Complain to TRAI in that case. Both TRAI chairman & secretary as well as their awareness video made it clear that LDP can continue unless the subscriber himself/herself requests to migrate to the newer packs. I still don't know how many will read what's written on that. You've been given the right to complain if in case DPO does something against your will.

Btw, how many channels are you getting and at what monthly cost? If you're getting all channels at 550 rupees or so, then it may continue. But if it's less than 550, it will be tough.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock