HC relief for banned TV channel

ratedr

Contributor
Reaction score
MUMBAI: Viewers can smile.

A division bench of the Delhi HC comprising Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath on Tuesday stayed an order of the information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry that prohibited transmission and re-transmission of the television channel, Comedy Central.

The HC bench stayed the order after hearing Sujeet Jain, executive vice-president, of Viacom, who had challenged the order. The I&B ministry had, on May 17, stopped the telecast of the channel on any platform throughout India for ten days with effect from May 25. The ministry had found nothing funny in an episode of two programmes - Comedy Central Presents and Popcorn TV. "The programmes aired obscene dialogues and vulgar words which were offensive, and beyond limits of good taste,'' said the ministry and issued the English entertainment channel a show-cause notice for violating programme code norms. TNNAfter giving an opportunity to Viacom of being heard, the Ministry observed that Viacom had violated Rule 6(1) (a), 6(1) (d), 6 (1) (k), (6) (1) (o) , 6 (5) of the Cable TV Rules, 1994 and passed the ten day ban under the Cable TV Act. source HC relief for banned TV channel - The Times of India

Then what about other desi channels which portray religious figures Hanuman,Krishna as buffoons and vulgar reality shows?

Im happy that Ban is lifted...
I & B ministry isn't God to follow every other decision they make...
Somebody had to challenge them...Im happy tha Comedy central did that...
else how wud they survive if ther's no toilet, sexual humour...in thier shows...
It shud not be taken seriously.. its just jokes.... and if u dont like it then
switch it off and watch other channels....ther r 400 channels out their...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock